• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Foot Fault 2019

Deliver and stay is the 4th. Your supporting point must remain in contact with the lie until balance is demonstrated. Allows run-ups, and follow-through (limited)

That actually would deal with a lot of close calls. There would still be some, though. I'm thinking of overhands; you're going to be close to hopping a bit some of the time, and that would still be a close call.

I haven't tried throwing that way, but I don't think I would like it on severe slopes.

Why do so many people want to change the rules instead of learning to play within them ?

because the problem isn't that I don't know how to play within the rules. the problem is that a not insignificant portion of the player base wants to take advantage of the "un-callability" of jump putts that aren't performed in accordance with the rules and act super indignant if you call them out on it

Step Putt...

is the bigger problem, in my limited experience. Watching Dave Feldberg and Johne McCray step forward and touch down before releasing the disc ...every time... just irks me. Why do they get away with it?

But what do I know?

Leave it to trolls to twist what i say to fit their narrative. Never said impossible. There is more injury concerns with s&d though. Look at the disc golfers you play with, do they look athletic? Do you think they could play for years trying to unnaturally stop forward momentum for years and not have any issues arise?

Its not impossible to s&d, it will just set our sport back decades and cause more injury concerns. I guess that constitutes as an "overblown" statement these days. Or maybe you want every hole to be 200ft?

Like i said. Reason, logic, and understanding basic anatomy helps when talking about s&d. OR get better at your jump putts and this isnt even a talking point.

I disagree with this. Players could start behind the lie (box), take one step or more into the box and follow through without going in front of the marker disc -- if they practiced it. Easy to do.

is the bigger problem, in my limited experience. Watching Dave Feldberg and Johne McCray step forward and touch down before releasing the disc ...every time... just irks me. Why do they get away with it?

But what do I know?

It's not just JohnE and Feldy that use that type of step-putt. So does Chris Dickerson, Trevor Harbolt, and many others...

Last edited:
I disagree with this. Players could start behind the lie (box), take one step or more into the box and follow through without going in front of the marker disc -- if they practiced it. Easy to do.

It's not just JohnE and Feldy that use that type of step-putt. So does Chris Dickerson, Trevor Harbolt, and many others...

Every time someone complains about a step putt is just telling everyone how bad you are at it. Want to take away 500ft hyzers too?

Bunch of cry babies. You can take your discs and go home...we have our own and we will keep playing ;)

Every time someone complains about a step putt is just telling everyone how bad you are at it. Want to take away 500ft hyzers too?

Bunch of cry babies. You can take your discs and go home...we have our own and we will keep playing ;)

it's funny that you say things like this when, earlier in the thread, you actually acknowledge why some people don't like step putts

I suggest that people take advantage of this gray area, as pros have done.

your reaction to seeing people cheat is to get good at cheating. my reaction to seeing people cheat is to understand why the rules allow it and think of ways that a rule change could address it moving forward, all the while making sure I'm not cheating when I play

different strokes for different folks I guess

Why the rules allow cheating? They don't. You get dq'ed for cheating.
I do understand what you mean though, but that is a different thing. I am almost 100% positive that none of the top pro's and very few regular players are using this to cheat. I'm sure that they believe they are within the rules. I don't think anyone is doing step or jump puts with the intention of breaking the rules and counting on not being called on it. Sure som douche bag AMs or low-level Pros may be, but to be honest, that is not what we are discussing here. It doesn't matter how you define the rules, there will always be a push to stretch them to the limits to gain an advantage. From my point of view, every solution suggested to this "problem" is much worse than the current rules, except for maybe making the circle bigger, though my personal preference is to do away with different rules for putting altogether as I find it unnecessary in the first place, but htat is just my preference.

I do understand what you mean though, but that is a different thing. I am almost 100% positive that none of the top pro's and very few regular players are using this to cheat. I'm sure that they believe they are within the rules. I don't think anyone is doing step or jump puts with the intention of breaking the rules and counting on not being called on it. Sure som douche bag AMs or low-level Pros may be, but to be honest, that is not what we are discussing here. It doesn't matter how you define the rules, there will always be a push to stretch them to the limits to gain an advantage. From my point of view, every solution suggested to this "problem" is much worse than the current rules, except for maybe making the circle bigger, though my personal preference is to do away with different rules for putting altogether as I find it unnecessary in the first place, but htat is just my preference.

I think it'd be pretty easy to get rid of step putts which is the more egregious of the two. imagine a vertical plane extending up from the front of the 20x30cm lie. neither foot may cross this vertical plane until the disc has been released. :thmbup:

Disc golf is typically played without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the player to show sportsmanship, integrity, consideration for other players, and to abide by the Rules of Play.

I personally don't feel that players that use these techniques are showing sportsmanship, integrity, consideration for other players, and sometimes are not abiding by the Rules of Play.

very early on in my playing career I had a friend film me jump putting just because I was curious. I thought I was actually foot faulting at least 1/4 of the time. so I stopped jump putting. kinda sad that I hold myself to a higher standard than the pros

I think it'd be pretty easy to get rid of step putts which is the more egregious of the two. imagine a vertical plane extending up from the front of the 20x30cm lie. neither foot may cross this vertical plane until the disc has been released. :thmbup:

Wouldn't that be just as hard to call as whether the foot left the ground before the disc was released?

Could hands cross the plane? What about the off hand when putting from a knee and falling forward?

Could a knee cross?

Wouldn't that be just as hard to call as whether the foot left the ground before the disc was released?

It would mean that step putts are clearly illegal, which is the one part of the game that I would be most interested in addressing.

Could hands cross the plane?

Yes, that's why I specifically said just feet.

What about the off hand when putting from a knee and falling forward?

Yes, see above.

Could a knee cross?

Yes, see above.

From the Jomez Northwood preview video. . is this foot placement from Kevin ok?

attachment.php

Attachments

• kevin.jpg
    kevin.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 139
As Biscoe correctly stated, the back foot would need to be off the ground before the disc was released to be okay. The front plant foot can dangle off the edge of the pad as long as it does not make contact with the ground below tee pad level. It is not supporting him if he is not touching it so it would be okay even if it looks funny.

All players seem to be under the impression that they lift their back foot before they release. I'm not completely sure they do it as reliably as they think.

Why the rules allow cheating? They don't. You get dq'ed for cheating.

Step putting should be flat out banned for the simple reason that the mechanics make it damn near impossible to police in the event it's being abused.

Still better than jump putts.

Jump putts don't bother me at all. Most people also suck at them so it just makes them look silly that they wanted so badly to be able to do it.

Step putts are the absolute worst. Absolute. Worst.

The only step putter I've never seen foot fault is Dickerson, but he's a robot so it doesn't count.

Jump putts don't bother me at all. Most people also suck at them so it just makes them look silly that they wanted so badly to be able to do it.

Step putts are the absolute worst. Absolute. Worst.

The only step putter I've never seen foot fault is Dickerson, but he's a robot so it doesn't count.

In terms of enforcing the rules IMO it's better distinguishable with step putts than with jump putts.

All matters of personal taste aside...

In terms of enforcing the rules IMO it's better distinguishable with step putts than with jump putts.

All matters of personal taste aside...

Whoa whoa whoa, you're telling me it's easier to tell if someone's toe touched the ground before release on a step put than if they took a jump put inside the circle? Is it Opposite Day and nobody told me??

I mean heck, if you're jump putting inside 30, you are probably terrible at putting. Be my guest if you want full extension and faceplant levels of commitment within feet of the basket. Same if you want to Turbo off the tee for that matter lol knock yourself out!!

People definitely need to stop walking over their mini on their putts though, that's complete BS. I can't even watch a round with Trevor without my wife coming in and asking we why I'm yelling. The fact it's been allowed for so long is actually pretty sad.

This. I will always let someone competing with me jump putt if they want to because almost no one is better jump putting at 10m than keeping their base.