• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Footwork Questions

In the simple terms: you want to imagine your braced leg as a polevaulter's pole. Regardeless of how how closed your feet are staggered, the plant leg needs to accept your momentum targetward.

RHBH: Your upper body will be coming through on the left side of that pole, your back leg extending out and right to create ballast to counter-act your upper body and give you balance.

OF0hDe6.gif

If you don't keep your butt on the right side of the pole, you'll most likely walk/collapse right through the left side because you didn't shift enough behind the pole.

I added about 30' to my throw when I stopped running up at an angle (an attempt to plant closed; something that I see almost no one struggle with).

Simon/Eagle's recent video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOjIZ1_w8Q

Simon says all top power throwers place right foot offset from line.

I assume because it helps create a coil you unwind and it moves your weight over your right leg with a different orientation than a straight line would.

In the simple terms: you want to imagine your braced leg as a polevaulter's pole. Regardeless of how how closed your feet are staggered, the plant leg needs to accept your momentum targetward.

RHBH: Your upper body will be coming through on the left side of that pole, your back leg extending out and right to create ballast to counter-act your upper body and give you balance.

If you don't keep your butt on the right side of the pole, you'll most likely walk/collapse right through the left side because you didn't shift enough behind the pole.

This makes alot of sense, thanks, but how do you know from video that person is doing that or not, what are the visual cues? Because these simon videos look pretty similar to me. If I would understand how to detect it, then I would be able to finetune it into my form also.

I added about 30' to my throw when I stopped running up at an angle (an attempt to plant closed; something that I see almost no one struggle with).

SW has definitely told me to do this a while back in a critique, and I finally tried striding straight down the teepad towards the apex and it's been working out well so far. Seems to keep me more balanced and help hit lines. It's also helping with my yanking right (hopefully) because I think my swing was overcompensating for my weight and momentum falling left. Could also be a lack of a brace.

I used to approach right to left as you said in an effort to plant closed but I'm learning you can stride laterally and still plant closed.

I wish I could say I've added 30' but I have added maybe 10. Still need to get off my back leg to get to the next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon says all top power throwers place right foot offset from line.

Absolutely. From what I've seen, though, nearly all bottom power throwers place their right foot offset from the line too. It's not something I think anyone should work towards unless there's very solid evidence they have a problem planting open.

From my imaginations of throws, it seems to me that the closed plant probably helps with balance and disc pivot. Disc is something of an odd throw, in its very horizontal nature.

Last edited:

Latest posts