• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] for the love of all things not necessary: Wombat 3 is born...

How are you liking the TL3? I thought I'd like it more than I do.

I'm in the same camp as you: I like the Star TL3, but it was not as board-flat as I hoped it would be, and it didn't really wow me. Good disc, but did not meet my hopes and expectations.

I was looking for an understable compliment to my Comet and I bought a first run when they first came out. I hated it. It was that flacid run of Star that was out a couple years ago.

I was so sickened by the first run, I have never even felt up any of the other runs or different plastics. Perhaps I should have.

For those who never got the chance on an Impact a slow Fairway disc the Wombat 3 is a slower midrange Impact that files on the same line, they tested the Impact on some online places in either 176 grams and up weight or under 169 grams to get the big S super shape they are showing for the flight line. Normally the Impact flies in the mini s Shape like a Wombat 3. If I run out of Impacts a Wombat 3 is what I would get, Wombat if Innova still makes that is too varied on dome to be used.

for me these new Stars are flying like a fresh, domey X Comet...

I need to amend this to say "fresh, mild-dome X Comet".
I played a round with one last night and just now threw it directly against a new X comet that is halfway between flat and domey. Very similar.

I would say the Wombat3 is a smidge faster than the Comet and doesn't seem to glide quite as much. On similar throws, my Comet was usually a little longer than the W3 (330' vs 315') and the W3 was consistently taking a lower line.

It's a fun disc for sure, and I'll definitely be giving it some more air time. I'm loving it so far!

I never threw the original.
I don't have much time with these yet but they were very easy for me to throw 300' with very little turn or fade. The glide is good... I don't know if I would have given it a rating of 6, though.

Considering the results from my mini-session today, I can't wait to get some rounds with them at the course. I also ordered a 150g DX for my 150g bag and possibly in my heavy bag for those get out of jail shots when you can't do much more than flick your wrist.

If I'm liking them alot, I'll get a video and post it up.

I'd be interested to hear your report on rolling the 150g. I don't throw nearly as far as you are reporting, but the 150s roll dead straight until they just fall over. Four Wombat3s in my bag - roller 150, straight to turnover 150, 160 DX that I putt with and a 166 Star with three aces on it. LOVE 'em!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be interested to hear your report on rolling the 150g.
I mess around with rollers a ton... but rarely use them on the course. If you seen the courses I play, you'd understand. Roots, rocks, and 50' elevation drops around the pin. Not good for rolling :)

I'll definitely keep you informed, thanks. Your early reviews helped sway me to try this disc :)

I mess around with rollers a ton... but rarely use them on the course. If you seen the courses I play, you'd understand. Roots, rocks, and 50' elevation drops around the pin. Not good for rolling :)

I'll definitely keep you informed, thanks. Your early reviews helped sway me to try this disc :)

I rarely use Rollers too on the course and with the courses near me you would understand too, the Rocks in some parts of the good course not to mention the Northern Prairie Cactus on the good course in my area and a hole that has tall grass on the sides of the tighter tunnel as well a roots on this same hole. The other in town course has long park grass not much tall prairie grass that just messes up a roller that does not get set at exactly the right angle and skip shots at this course are next to impossible unless you are a mega power player.

I'd be interested to hear your report...
I threw the discs and videoed the session. Sorry, no rollers this time. I'll get that next time I'm out.

I was averaging 300-330' depending on the mold. Longest of the session was an ESP Comet that went over 380' but that set did not make it in the video.

Two sets from the session are uploaded to YouTube here:

Bought a 150g DX Wombat3 and lost it after one throw. Long story but I think someone stole it.
It was fun while it lasted.
Sorry Riverdog, that one throw was not a roller LOL.
I'll buy another to mess around with. Probably 150g DX and a 180g DX.

Bought a 150g DX Wombat3 and lost it after one throw. Long story but I think someone stole it.
It was fun while it lasted.
Sorry Riverdog, that one throw was not a roller LOL.
I'll buy another to mess around with. Probably 150g DX and a 180g DX.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I was once playing with my group on a short wooded course and threw a Wombat (not W3, just plain old Wombat). It was a great throw, but it was downhill and appeared to go to the edge of the woods.

We had six people looking for that disc, but never found it. To this day I still believe someone stole it... and maybe someone in my group was the culprit. Either way, I feel your pain on the loss/theft.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I was once playing with my group on a short wooded course and threw a Wombat (not W3, just plain old Wombat). It was a great throw, but it was downhill and appeared to go to the edge of the woods.

We had six people looking for that disc, but never found it. To this day I still believe someone stole it... and maybe someone in my group was the culprit. Either way, I feel your pain on the loss/theft.

Heheheh, well you DO know that Wombats are inveterate burrowers. [emoji23]

I spent the weekend cleaning up debris on Ramcat's #3 from a massive Chestnut Oak that fell taking down a 24" hickory and several 10-12" poplars. At any rate, late this afternoon after clearing the green I had to throw a few approaches. All the Wombat3s were parked. And I only missed half the putts. [emoji1787]

Two stars (one shimmer, one stock) and one champ. The stars were both a torch more overstable and glidey. Not wildly different but I prefer the stock star W3 out of the bunch.

Again, sample size of 1 each.

YMMV, for me there is insignificant difference between Champ and Star of same weight at 165g. Practice bag 2 of each.

Last edited:

Latest posts