• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forearm Pain/Elbow Pain

ChiCubs

Par Member
Greetings all...So, after a round of 18 this past weekend, my forearm and elbow were in some serious pain. It has been a pain that has progressed over the last couple months or so. It is most definitely a nasty case of tennis elbow. I feel it the most when I am gripping a driver on the tee...the pressure between my thumb on the rim and my index finger underneath the disc. My guess is I have been gripping too tight thus the pain that erupts. Anyway, I will be taking off a couple of weeks to rehab and repair. Im wondering how many of you out there have also suffered this malady and what you did to get back out on the course! I am going to lighten up on the grip, that's for sure.

mine comes and goes I have elbow pain from my days as a baseball player but really I just stop when it starts hurting and give it a few days. I also feel very strongly about stretching.

Is it tennis elbow (outside of the elbow pain) or golfer's elbow (inside of the elbow pain)?

When I got golfer's elbow I got help identifying what was wrong with my FH, fixed that, and waited a good week or so before I did any FH's again. Hasn't happened to me since luckily.

I have the same problem when I start throwing forehands. Backhands don't seem to bother me much but forehands are killer on my elbow. I started wearing a stretchy spandex type brace on my elbow and it pretty much took care of my problem. Also gave me much needed confidence on my forehand throw knowing it won't hurt.:D

Lots of good advise in this thread....http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23703

My forearm and elbow would hurt mostly after the round, but it was starting to be painful during the round, hence the Dr's. visit. If you're in that much pain, a couple of weeks off are not going to do it for you. I have a fairly mild case of tennis elbow and I haven't played a round in 2 months. I want to make sure that it heals, and is pain-free before I rush back out there. When I do start throwing again, it will be field work for a couple of weeks to work on a smoother form. My Dr. told me if I continue to play before it heals, it will just never get better.

I've been retired for over 2 years, I play alot of DG. It's killing me to not be able to play, but in the long run I have to do the right thing and not rush it. My elbow has made alot of progress and I think in maybe 2 weeks I can hit the field.

Now...as long as my shoulder holds up, but that's a whole other issue. Good luck.

BTW, I never throw forehand.

I have the same problem when I start throwing forehands. Backhands don't seem to bother me much but forehands are killer on my elbow. I started wearing a stretchy spandex type brace on my elbow and it pretty much took care of my problem. Also gave me much needed confidence on my forehand throw knowing it won't hurt.:D

My problem was leading too much with my elbow...when looking from the side my elbow was well in front of my shoulder and spine/hips, leading the throw instead of being powered into it. The solution is not to keep the elbow "in" near the hips/torso (I actually get better power and more consistently safe feeling throws with my elbow a good 8-10" from my side/hip), but keeping it from getting out in front of your shoulder.

What's really weird is I feel like I need to warm up for 10-15 minutes to throw a ball hard, but I can pretty much just step onto the course and throw a powered forehand drive immediately with no risk of it feeling strained. Not that I should do that without stretching...

Best bet is to talk with a physical therapist about it. They will be able to tell exactly what is wrong and how to avoid further damage.

That having been said, I throw a lot of FH and last season started having some serious bone-on-bone contact pain in my throwing elbow. The following things in combination helped a lot:
  • Taking a few ibuprofen 30-40 minutes before each round.
  • Stretching before, during, and after every round. Especially tricep and general wrist flexibility.
  • Focusing on clean form (mostly wrist snap) rather than trying to muscle my throws.
  • Warming up with several 40%-60% power throws (BH and FH) before trying to crush anything.

Could also be the way you are throwing the disc, if it is sharp pain when you grip my baseball background starts doing voodoo chants that is just the words "tommy john" over and over and over and over and over...(you get the picture). Go see a doc if thats the case, if not, one thing I recommend that has helped me because I had elbow pain when baseball days were done was wearing a sleeve or some sort of compression on my arm so that I wasn't going to cause more pain to my elbow, and days where it hurts after a long day of disc golf I rest, ice, compress and elevate, some people are saying not to do that now, works for me though so I do it.

Greetings all...So, after a round of 18 this past weekend, my forearm and elbow were in some serious pain. It has been a pain that has progressed over the last couple months or so. It is most definitely a nasty case of tennis elbow. I feel it the most when I am gripping a driver on the tee...the pressure between my thumb on the rim and my index finger underneath the disc. My guess is I have been gripping too tight thus the pain that erupts. Anyway, I will be taking off a couple of weeks to rehab and repair. Im wondering how many of you out there have also suffered this malady and what you did to get back out on the course! I am going to lighten up on the grip, that's for sure.
I had a case of golfers elbow couple years ago from gripping too tight and too early. I ended up switching to MJ's fan grip and keeping the grip loose until the disc starts accelerating, so match your grip strength progressively with acceleration. It makes a big difference during a round if you are squeezing hard on the back of the tee instead of only the split second in the power zone. It also helps in throwing further since your muscles are more relaxed. I also use a Flexbar and recommend seeing a PT.

I had a case of golfers elbow couple years ago from gripping too tight and too early. I ended up switching to MJ's fan grip and keeping the grip loose until the disc starts accelerating, so match your grip strength progressively with acceleration. It makes a big difference during a round if you are squeezing hard on the back of the tee instead of only the split second in the power zone. It also helps in throwing further since your muscles are more relaxed. I also use a Flexbar and recommend seeing a PT.

Awesome advice. thank you. I should have been more clear in my original post. I throw RHBH. I don't feel any pain when throwing from the fairway or approaching the basket...it's only on the tee because of the tight grip. I am going to put your advice into action and will also be warming up before each round with a flex bar per the advice from your post and an earlier post. I had rotator cuff surgery on my throwing arm shoulder back in December of 2014 but I am happy to say the it feels amazing. Of course, being almost 50 years old, arm issues are to be expected. :thmbdown:

Flexbar is king. I do the flexbar exercise before each round and I haven't had elbow tendonitis in quite a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4UoiKG3Co&t=202s

I just want to say that I've had a horrible case of Tennis elbow that would kill me after every round... keep me from playing a lot the past year.

I bought one of these Sticks and its amazing.
Really makes a difference, and great for working out all your muscles.
I'd highly recommend buying one, just be sure to get the name brand one... I've heard the knock offs suck for different reasons.
(BTW, I bought the travel size and think its a good enough size.)

I use one of those, too, and they work great.
The stick has helped a lot in terms of the real deep tissue work that is necessary before and afterward.

On many arm injuries there is a way to keep throwing with an injured arm. Pin your elbow agianst your hip and swing your body. It works on both forehand and backhand. You will be surprised at how far you can wing the disc. A wise doctor once told me if it hurts don't do it. This is one technique I can use without feeling pain in my injured arm. Also you can always go southpaw.

Latest posts