• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Forehand drivers

Yes, this is true, but, its much easier to really get into an anhyzer release when you want to throw a long forehand.
So overstable, be it speed, or just stability, always works better.
This is true, if you only throw with anhyzer. Like dysmike, I throw FH a lot. I throw mostly FH from the tee or fairway or the schule. My longest throws don't come from flexing an overstable disc. My longest throws are typically hyzerflips with a beat pro wraith. For me, flexing an overstable disc takes a lot more effort to get the same distances than with less power on a hyzerflip. These throws are in the 400' range. It's also a whole lot less stressful on the body than muscling the disc.
Watch Paul, unquestionably the best player in the world right now, throw a Firebird forehand.
Yup, he does throw a whole lot of OS discs in tournaments. From what I understand, he is also working on his FH with Nate Sexton (who has an under-rated FH) with more neutral discs outside of tournaments. Probably in an effort to round out his game even more.
It's easier to throw a backhand with a hyzer release, so understable to stable usually results in a better throw.
It is definitely easier to throw hyzers BH but that shouldn't stop you from trying to strengthen your own game by learning to do the same FH.
All you " you can throw any disc forehand " people, who obviously dont really throw forehand, need to accept this, and stop preaching.
How is it obvious that these "evangelists" don't throw FH? Why should we stop "preaching?" When questions like this arise, one of two options needs to be settled before any disc recommendations should be made. Does the questioner want to get better or do they just want to get the most distance they can right now? If the answer is to get better, than the advice of slowing down, using more neutral discs and work on form mechanics is the more correct answer (this sounds a whole lot like advice for BH.) If the answer is "more distance now," than, by all means, recommend the most OS disc to cover up any form problems (which could cause long-term injury) that the questioner might have.

My opinions on this are deeply seeded in the "preachers" camp. When I started, I did the whole OS discs thing because of "excessive arm speed" too. It almost destroyed my elbow. I forced myself to learn proper mechanics and my arm/elbow doesn't hurt any more. The side effect of redoing my mechanics was that every disc in my bag became a FH disc. My scores have also greatly benefitted from working on form as I am now much more consistent and I have a whole lot more shots available to me that I wouldn't have had otherwise.
As to the OPs question, get a fresh Champ or Champy Star Boss, its amazing what that disc can do forehand.
I won't argue you disc suggestion. The rim is too fat for me to get a comfortable grip so I don't throw them. My suggestions would be any fast mid/slow FD that is neutral to develop proper mechanics. From there, slower and faster discs become much easier to learn.

Ok, who here is gonna tell me that the forehand hyzer flip is not the hardest shot in disc golf to throw consistently.
Much harder to align the wrist than a BH hyzer flip.
Hey, I gotta Star Vulcan, 161 grams, that I do throw FH, it goes far, but the Boss is more reliable to put where I want it. I do like the Starlite, overstabilized Boss's the best, they season into outstanding flyers.
Hey, you people need to remember the Boss and Vulcan are closely related.

I won't argue that a FH hyzer-flip isn't difficult. It is and it took me a while to get consistent with it. However, it is more consistent for max-d for me. With me, it's more shoulder angle than wrist angle for throwing hyzer-flips. I dictate my shots with the shoulders and I keep my elbow and wrist in the same orientations as if I was throwing flat. My BH, while has been improving, is still 50-80' shorter and less accurate than my FH.

The most difficult shot for me is a BH anhyzer so I would argue that that shot is the most difficult shot to throw consistently. As a blanket statement, I am completely wrong in saying that. And that is what I will disagree with you on: your assumption that a FH hyzer-flip is the hardest shot in disc golf to throw consistently. What is difficult for some doesn't absolutely mean it's difficult for everyone. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. My strengths lie primarily with FH. But I will continue to strengthen my weaknesses so I can become a more well-rounded player. And I would hope that is the goal for everyone that participates in these threads.

All you " you can throw any disc forehand " people, who obviously dont really throw forehand, need to accept this, and stop preaching.

I throw forehand with every disc in my bag, my flippiest discs are usually thrown forehand (I can throw 400 consistently). I flick a goldline bolt or super beat destroyer fore a lot of my flick shots, I just like to throw stand up forehands. but if I throw those discs backhand they are straight rollers. any disc can be thrown forehand and they all have some use in a situation

Ok, who here is gonna tell me that the forehand hyzer flip is not the hardest shot in disc golf to throw consistently.
Much harder to align the wrist than a BH hyzer flip.

I throw almost all of my forehands on hyzer flips. its easier for me than anny flexes..
Personally for me its much easier to throw a forehand hyzerflip than a backhand hyzer flip

I love flicking understable discs. Little to no effort for solid distance. Sounds like someone needs to keep practicing instead of making excuses.

I throw almost all of my forehands on hyzer flips. its easier for me than anny flexes..
Personally for me its much easier to throw a forehand hyzerflip than a backhand hyzer flip

Me too, actually it hurts my elbow and shoulder to NOT throw a FH Hyzer Flip. I also throw with hyzer on my BH (although since knee problems my BH is down to maybe one or two drives per 18 holes) so I use the same discs for BH as I do FH with the same basic purpose; mostly. I even throw my mids and putters FH and BH.

I am partial to a lot of the critics out there. Some say if your form is perfect then you can throw understable discs long distance. I have so much snap that understabled discs do not work for me. I use a Solace to throw max distance forehand. I throw about 350-400 feet forehand. it is a helpfull tool.

I recommend starting out- Firebird, Predator, Solace, H1, not to sure on the H1 i believe that is overstable.

I got used to throwing overstable discs to start out. i started just recently throwing o-laces and laces but i found out my massive snap that i flip the disc over too fast. i would have to put a lot of nose up to compensate for the amount of snap.

I am partial to a lot of the critics out there. Some say if your form is perfect then you can throw understable discs long distance. I have so much snap that understabled discs do not work for me. I use a Solace to throw max distance forehand. I throw about 350-400 feet forehand. it is a helpfull tool.

I recommend starting out- Firebird, Predator, Solace, H1, not to sure on the H1 i believe that is overstable.

I got used to throwing overstable discs to start out. i started just recently throwing o-laces and laces but i found out my massive snap that i flip the disc over too fast. i would have to put a lot of nose up to compensate for the amount of snap.

If anyone has seen the Mcbeth/Sexton driving video then you know....they are referring to this guy^

So overstable, be it speed, or just stability, always works better.
Watch Paul, unquestionably the best player in the world right now, throw a Firebird forehand.
It's easier to throw a backhand with a hyzer release, so understable to stable usually results in a better throw.

The other top players in the world Wysocki and Koling use understable discs (hell they'll even sidearm putter approach shots) for sidearm often. That kind of variety in their games is probably what helps them keep up with McBeth on tour.

Paul actually indirectly admits a deficiency in his game......and its his sidearm game here:

Paul McBeth in the bag on the Krait:

"And actually I'm learning to throw sidearm. Thank you to Nate Sexton for teaching me to throw a proper sidearm... and throw understable discs [sidearm]. "

https://youtu.be/NV9qVMXU38w?t=558

^go directly to 9:18 to see McBeth talk about the Krait, and sidearming understable discs.

In Koling's last AMA (I linked it in the first page of this thread) he actually jokingly admits he's annoyed that McBeth is learning how to throw understable discs sidearm (AKA "Koling-ing") because he's [McBeth] already the best in the world and stealing "his thing".

Its not a bad thing to throw overstable discs sidearm. It definitely helps out with natural anyhyzer angle releases (which a lot of people naturally do), but if you're throwing super overstable discs like firebirds/PD2/excaliburs to compensate for wrist roll then its definitely not having too much snap, but compensation for deficiencies in form.

There's no reason you can't throw less overstable discs.

And I recommend starting out with a Leopard or Gazelle.

Some say start with putters, but I think the rim can cause frustration, for me it was easier to go back and retool using slower fairway and mids.

For what it's worth, I started throwing FH with the suggested meathook discs and it didn't help me at all, had to go back and start again. My current favorite do everything distance FH driver is a Pro SL, also I can now throw a Predator the way it's supposed to fly, not with some aborted looking "S" curve that goes 230ft.

Big Jerm is known for throwing crazy understable FH shots with tons of control which most players would even just throw a simple BH hyzer. He has way more power, snap, technique whateverrrrrr and is KNOWN for throwing less stable discs than all of the pros out there on FH lines. Everything you posted is misguiding and would do any player a disservice trying to learn to throw well. OS discs are a crutch for poor form.

FWIW i learned to throw "distance" FH shots with a champion monarch and it also became a great hyzer flip BH mold once i learned to throw that way too. I suggest you learnzzz.

I have so much snap that understabled discs do not work for me. I throw about 350-400 feet forehand.

:doh:

and I'm sure that estimate is too much.

There's no reason you can't throw less overstable discs.

IMHO, a person's particular forehand throwing style/motion might best determine how stable the disc that would best work for them should be. I'm learning forehand flicks, and the Destroyer (which I can't throw for peanuts backhand) works best for me, while my TL... well, let's just say it's rather embarrassing what happened when I tried to use that disc lately for forehand flicks.

So find and use what works for YOU.