• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Flex Shot?

nb2210

Par Member
Why all the hate? I don't see the problem with taking an Overstable disc forcing it left and knowing itll come back.

Because it takes more room than a line drive. Takes more height than a line drive. Has to be done with an OS disc so it really limits the lines/finish of the shot. There are too many variables for Otto be consistent in the wind.

I'm not saying it's a bad shot, it has its place...I'm complaining about the guys that throw 90% of their shots like this. It's the only line they can throw and if they try a flat shot they lose 60' of distance at least. And if they aren't using he most stupid OS plastic then cut rollers are a real possibility.

That being said people can play the way they want, but I just think it's a brute force way to play and has tons of disadvantages.

Why all the hate? I don't see the problem with taking an Overstable disc forcing it left and knowing itll come back.

If it's an option out of an arsenal of shots you're comfortable throwing, no problem. If you rely on this shot that's where the hate comes from.

Because many people use it as a crutch for bad forehand form. There is nothing wrong with it, and if its the only FH shot you know, it will still help your game.

I often throw a FH flex instead of a hyzerflip if the fairway is even slightly favoring it. I do know a couple guys who throw FH Flex primarily who have adequate backhands and insane touch when needed with the FH, flex or not.

I don't hate forehand flex shots, they come in pretty handy in the woods.

I hate playing with torque monkeys who brag they have too much power and have to flex Ape's for that 300ft shot though.

The majority of my game is built around forehand flex shots. I prefer to use FD3/Firebirds/CD2 in s-line plastic for that shot. I get grief all the time but usually after the 3rd hole in the woods others wish they could control that shot - hypocrites :D Mixing the forehand flex with forehand straight or hyzer is a deadly. The only down side like others have said is open field for max D I lose some distance with flex. But that is where that straight with maybe a slight turn is really nice.

If it's an option out of an arsenal of shots you're comfortable throwing, no problem. If you rely on this shot that's where the hate comes from.

Exactly.

And I'm not one to judge, because the OS flex shot is the only FH shot I have right now. But im working on it.

Official sponsor of this thread.

20130327-121658.jpg

i think the hate comes from all the noobs throwing it. i use it a lot, but it impresses people when it is done for 350ft+.

I'm not saying it's a bad shot, it has its place...I'm complaining about the guys that throw 90% of their shots like this. It's the only line they can throw and if they try a flat shot they lose 60' of distance at least. And if they aren't using he most stupid OS plastic then cut rollers are a real possibility.

If you have bad forehand form like me, it's the only FH shot you can throw with consistency. It's a crutch because I'm too lazy to work on my forehand form.

Everyone has their own opinions. I only dislike the FH flex shot because one killed my grandfather. (ThrowBot Version 0.0 must be avenged!)

All that matters is what goes on the scorecard. It's not a beauty contest. If that's how you like to throw, good for you. When I started as a barefoot hippie chucker 10 years ago, I played that way for a whole summer. I liked it and it kept me interested in the game. Since I wanted to get better, I bought some shoes and learned to throw backhand.

Someone who leans on a forehand flex shot as their primary throw isn't going to score low on anything but a wide open beginner course.