• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand/flick rollers

They tend to work better with more overstable drivers. Think of the S curve in the air...only making it on the ground laying it down leaning right so it is going right and then it straightens out and back to the left (if you are right handed).

They will all end up turning toward the top of disc, eventually.

The more stable, the more resistant to turning towards the top of the disc. I can throw forehand rollers with super overstable fairway drivers that will never turn towards the top of the disc (depending on angle of impact).

If I throw the same throw with an understable mid range, or a putter, then it will very quickly turn towards the top of the disc (to the left for a right handed forehand roller).

I find it best to start with a less stable disc when learning a forehand roller. I suggest a DX Roadrunner or Sidewinder. Just flick it hard and level and watch the disc do the work. Once you have that down try something more stable to experiment with a "cut roller"

The longest flick rollers I have thrown have been with more overstable discs: boss, xcaliber, and champ destroyers. Like I said above in my experience the longest rolls are using the "S curve" on the ground rather than in the air by making the disc land angled to the right...rolling right going up to straight and then leaning and going left at the end. With a little practice it is entirely possible to make these go over 500 feet.

The more overstable the disc, the LESS tendency it has to turn making it a better choice for cut rollers than an understable disc which will roll towards the flightplate quicker.

If reddit claims otherwise, reddit is wrong.

The more overstable the disc, the LESS tendency it has to turn making it a better choice for cut rollers than an understable disc which will roll towards the flightplate quicker.

If reddit claims otherwise, reddit is wrong.
No, I don't think Reddit claimed otherwise. I'm retracting my statements because the more I think about it the different my release angles are when I use an overstable vs. understable.

Stability is similar to how it affects backhand rollers...just that it's way easier/more natural to lay down the disc close to vertical with a FH, whereas on a BH roller people typically rely on the disc to turn a bit to help get it to the correct angle.

More overstable discs will go straight longer on a FH roller since they will take longer to turn onto their top, but if you don't get the angle close enough to vertical or throw it hard enough they can cut roll. For example, I tend to use my Firebird and most overstable Destroyer as my distance FH rollers, or for cut rolls if I want it to do that, and a good stable champ Teebird for medium length rollers that will definitely turn over onto its top every time. There is no way I would ever backhand roll any of these same discs, in any reasonable manner.

I use more overstabe discs for rollers that finish to the left and I use more understable discs for cut rollers that finish to the right. The stability of the disc helps to keep the disc on the right angle when you want to finish to the left but for me it complicates everything when I'm trying for the cut roller line and so in those situations I rather toss my cut roller low on not much of an angle and let it turn into the ground and initiate the roll rather than putting it on an extreme angle and forcing it straight into the ground.

Disc stability has very little to do with the behavior of a disc once it is rolling. What it does affect is how easy or difficult it is to get the disc over on its side in the first place. Once it's in contact with the ground, disc shape becomes a bigger factor - how much of the disc's mass is towards the top of the disc. A domey disc, for example, will turn towards the top of the disc more readily than one that is relatively flat or has most of its mass at the rim.

Disc stability has very little to do with the behavior of a disc once it is rolling. What it does affect is how easy or difficult it is to get the disc over on its side in the first place. Once it's in contact with the ground, disc shape becomes a bigger factor - how much of the disc's mass is towards the top of the disc. A domey disc, for example, will turn towards the top of the disc more readily than one that is relatively flat or has most of its mass at the rim.

Hmmm...no. Stability matters. A really domey OS disc is not going to magically flip up like an US disc once it is rolling just cuz it's domey.

Hmmm...no. Stability matters. A really domey OS disc is not going to magically flip up like an US disc once it is rolling just cuz it's domey.

Yep. Stability actually is the same on the ground as in the air.

OS discs will resist turning over and falling w/ flight plate down. US discs turn up easier and can make different helix like roller flights given angle of release. Stable molds tend to roll straighter and often have a nice even edge for rolling due to PLH being middle of wing.

Yep. Stability actually is the same on the ground as in the air.

OS discs will resist turning over and falling w/ flight plate down. US discs turn up easier and can make different helix like roller flights given angle of release. Stable molds tend to roll straighter and often have a nice even edge for rolling due to PLH being middle of wing.

My point was it's not the over or understable behavior of the disc that matters once the disc is rolling, it's the weight distribution in relation to the edge. Yes there's a correlation between stability and weight distribution/disc shape, but once the disc is in contact with the ground it's that weight distribution aspect that affects the roll, not the behavior during flight that we call stability.

My point was it's not the over or understable behavior of the disc that matters once the disc is rolling, it's the weight distribution in relation to the edge. Yes there's a correlation between stability and weight distribution/disc shape, but once the disc is in contact with the ground it's that weight distribution aspect that affects the roll, not the behavior during flight that we call stability.

So overstable discs turn onto their tops more slowly. Gotchya.