• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Instructional

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
So... thoughts? This is my second one. Obviously I need a tripod.. the whole camera sitting on a dinner tray isn't working so hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvmePaqMFcQ

Interesting tips. Good emphasis on grip and getting legs/hips into it, and keeping the elbow close. I agree with a lot of what you said.

The firm vs. loose, wrist roll vs. no wrist roll (respectively), I have to think about a bit. This might also depend on how low the pull line is.

Nice vid chris, we need to get into that field and deveolp my forehand this off-season like we talked about. having this shot will def. complete my game.

JHern said:
Interesting tips. Good emphasis on grip and getting legs/hips into it, and keeping the elbow close. I agree with a lot of what you said.

The firm vs. loose, wrist roll vs. no wrist roll (respectively), I have to think about a bit. This might also depend on how low the pull line is.
You're right now that I think about it, although I really need to be throwing a high angle release to keep my wrist firm through the motion. I know I usually keep it firm through rollers.

Thanks, Chris. My sidearm sucks, so I'll try and put some of those tips to good use in the coming year.

Appreciate you taking your time to put the video together. Much better than text only.

Nice video, good tips and to the point. One question I had was what about thumb use in the grip, both in placement and in pressure on the disc.

ChrisWoj said:
JHern said:

You're right now that I think about it, although I really need to be throwing a high angle release to keep my wrist firm through the motion. I know I usually keep it firm through rollers.

Brad Walker also makes a good point about the forehand in his Snap 2009 thread. Basically, it is that one should try to throw the outside edge of the disc as if it were a hammer, instead of throwing through the middle of the disc. Each time I do this, my fingers snap off the rim and into my palm at release...and the throw is typically doing exactly what I wanted to do after release.

JHern said:
ChrisWoj said:
JHern said:

Brad Walker also makes a good point about the forehand in his Snap 2009 thread. Basically, it is that one should try to throw the outside edge of the disc as if it were a hammer, instead of throwing through the middle of the disc. Each time I do this, my fingers snap off the rim and into my palm at release...and the throw is typically doing exactly what I wanted to do after release.
That depends entirely on the purpose of the forehand. If you want short and accurate forehands you adjust that closer to the center of the disc. Longer shots require the additional leverage of throwing through the far point on the disc.

ChrisWoj said:
JHern said:
ChrisWoj said:
JHern said:

That depends entirely on the purpose of the forehand. If you want short and accurate forehands you adjust that closer to the center of the disc. Longer shots require the additional leverage of throwing through the far point on the disc.

Indeed.

I liked the video, I wish you made this 5 months ago when I had all these questions when I started playing disc golf. Now I know everything that was said, but a nice reminder, especially on the run up.

My problem is I throw forehand rollers, a LOT. It's one of my favorite throws. I throw both extremely anhyzer angled overstable runners and also flat/slight anhyzer understable rollers that go 100ft then start rolling. The amount of torque/OAT I put on these throws is crazy, BUT I'm consistent and successful in these throws every time. What I'm finding is when I try and throw normal sidearm upshots or drives I tend to put too much arm in my throws and usually end of throw at an anhyzer angle. Today for the hell of it I threw all my drivers forehand. I used to bomb forehand before I started throwing backhand. Every throw just went left. It felt like it was my first week playing again. Even with the knowledge I have on proper form and stuff, I still wasn't able to twink my form today to get a successful throw.

I don't know if I should learn how to throw my rollers for finesse like, which totally ruins the 3 months I've been working on them. Or should I keep working on my forehands and power through the "tough times" I'm experiencing? I just don't know if I can manage to control my OAT that I use for my rollers, when I throw normal.

tigel said:
I liked the video, I wish you made this 5 months ago when I had all these questions when I started playing disc golf. Now I know everything that was said, but a nice reminder, especially on the run up.

My problem is I throw forehand rollers, a LOT. It's one of my favorite throws. I throw both extremely anhyzer angled overstable runners and also flat/slight anhyzer understable rollers that go 100ft then start rolling. The amount of torque/OAT I put on these throws is crazy, BUT I'm consistent and successful in these throws every time. What I'm finding is when I try and throw normal sidearm upshots or drives I tend to put too much arm in my throws and usually end of throw at an anhyzer angle. Today for the hell of it I threw all my drivers forehand. I used to bomb forehand before I started throwing backhand. Every throw just went left. It felt like it was my first week playing again. Even with the knowledge I have on proper form and stuff, I still wasn't able to twink my form today to get a successful throw.

I don't know if I should learn how to throw my rollers for finesse like, which totally ruins the 3 months I've been working on them. Or should I keep working on my forehands and power through the "tough times" I'm experiencing? I just don't know if I can manage to control my OAT that I use for my rollers, when I throw normal.
It just sounds like you're rolling over on the throws. I know that I roll my wrist over when I throw forehand rollers and I can see how -if you use those a lot- it could interfere with your forehand form. Put some extra emphasis on throwing with the nose of the disc up. Remember to keep the rest of the throw on a level plane, arm coming through horizontal with the ground, but tilt the wrist slightly to force the nose up. This should help you avoid rolling your wrist as much. It isn't a permanent fix, but it'll break the habit and allow you to slide back into comfortably throwing without rolling your wrist.

Great vid. I use a very strange grip that clearly is poor for distance, but I am extremely consistent with it within the 100-250 range. This will definitely be watched a few times when I decide to try and work on some long range forehand form. It would be nice to see some field demonstrations in addition to the explanation, as it is always easier to listen to advice when you can see the throwing form right after, or at the same time.

Firios said:
Great vid. I use a very strange grip that clearly is poor for distance, but I am extremely consistent with it within the 100-250 range. This will definitely be watched a few times when I decide to try and work on some long range forehand form. It would be nice to see some field demonstrations in addition to the explanation, as it is always easier to listen to advice when you can see the throwing form right after, or at the same time.
Yeah, the whole spur of the moment recorded at about 3am thing got in the way :) I want to do that long term.

Chris: I would like to thank you profusely for your forehand instructional. I have been using forehand for short approach shots, but as soon as I tried to put any power into it my technique would fall apart. Your video provided such a clear description that I have been able to improve my forehand considerably.

At the ice bowl last weekend, I managed to squeeze a forehand or two down some tightly wooded fairways. Today on the practice field I managed a few forehand drives to 240', which is probably 40' further than I was able to throw a week ago. While a 240' flick isn't much to brag on, it opens up a lot of useful options that were previously unavailable. Needless to say, I'm pretty encouraged to continue working on forehand drives, especially since my backhand distance isn't much to brag on, either. :roll:

Thanks again, Chris!

Great video! My sidearm is not good at all so I avoid using that shot because my % of making a good shot is low. Sidearm is the biggest thing I want to improve this year and your video will help a lot. Thanks for posting it.

Monocacy said:
Chris: I would like to thank you profusely for your forehand instructional. I have been using forehand for short approach shots, but as soon as I tried to put any power into it my technique would fall apart. Your video provided such a clear description that I have been able to improve my forehand considerably.

At the ice bowl last weekend, I managed to squeeze a forehand or two down some tightly wooded fairways. Today on the practice field I managed a few forehand drives to 240', which is probably 40' further than I was able to throw a week ago. While a 240' flick isn't much to brag on, it opens up a lot of useful options that were previously unavailable. Needless to say, I'm pretty encouraged to continue working on forehand drives, especially since my backhand distance isn't much to brag on, either. :roll:

Thanks again, Chris!
Awesome! I love hearing stuff like that, I'm really glad it helped. I hope I can get out and do some more professional videos in a field sometime with a decent camera. Hopefully I'll be able to demonstrate and help even more at that point. :)

spitfire said:
Great video! My sidearm is not good at all so I avoid using that shot because my % of making a good shot is low. Sidearm is the biggest thing I want to improve this year and your video will help a lot. Thanks for posting it.
Just remember to break it down, start short, and slowly increase distance. Keep your form solid and the confidence controlling it for more power will come. :)

Chris, I don't know if you've come across this past thread...

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10739

Its a bit old and musty-smelling now, but maybe it would be fun to bring it back out here, dust it off, and keep it going. The idea was to keep editing the list until it became more or less authoritative/comprehensive, and be a good resource for players to learn from (and much better than what is out there now), but it never really got to that point because most of us weren't expert enough to take it up another notch. I bet you could help a lot.

Its late now, but I'll be sure to look it over more than the skim I've given it thus far. It is interesting, for sure. Really I wish I could see the completion of what I wanted to begin last year on wikipedia.org to be honest. No one on the PDGA DISCussion boards took me up on helping so I kinda wound up letting it fail myself... I posted up full USADGC and USDGC results on there, with some information. I wanted to get pages up on all the top pros - more extensive stuff on the game itself - pages on various throwing styles.... etc.

I'm a night owl, though I have time zone to my advantage.

-Tell me what you think, and I would love to move that list of fundamentals to the next level with your help. Maybe others could add more as well.

-Tell us about your wikipedia stuff. DGR is a better venue to air this: more feral, more vigorous, more active...PDGA seems milk-toast in comparison to DGR. :p