• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Forehand Midrange

JaphethH

Hi all!

I'm primarily a forehand thrower and have noticed that my discs always seem to be more understable and flippy when I throw them than when my friends throw them backhand. My first question is if this is something that's normal for forehand throws or if I maybe have something wrong with my form that's causing this? Secondly I wanted to ask for a midrange recommendation. I'm looking for something that's gonna hold a hyzer on my forehand without flipping up. I got a Malta and it did this for a week or two, but has now started flipping up if I throw it with full power. It doesn't even necessarily need to have a lot of fade, but just hold a hyzer line without a big flip up.

Thanks all!

1. Yes, this is fairly normal. Most people are able to put more spin on their backhands than their forehands, meaning backhanded throws get more gyroscopic force to help the disc fly stable. I say "most people" because like just about everything else in disc golf, YMMV.

2. You're going to get a bunch of people here touting their favorite OS mids. Just be prepared to be drowned in answers. The Justice is typically considered the most overstable true midrange, but I wouldn't jump straight to that. A Drone may be good for you, since you like Discraft. Drones are still very overstable but not ludicrously OS like Justices. You can also check out this flight guide to get some ideas: https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/flightguide. Note that you are already throwing a disc that is skewing to the OS side of the chart, so another obvious suggestion is "work with what you have, rather than looking for the magic disc." Good luck.

You're going to get a bunch of people here touting their favorite OS mids.

Ha. I'm game.

The Zone probably technically isn't a mid but I'll add it to the list anyways.

Zone

Justice (although I prefer the Anvil)

Gator

Or just be like me. I've just been powering down on a Firebird or FD3 when I need a beefy midrange shot that definitely won't flip.

Second the "DGA Proline Quake". Such an amazing mid for forehand. Has decent glide while still being reliably Overstable. Easy release, no bead.

You would need big power to flip over something like a premium Buzzz on hyzer, or even a roc. In most cases it's probably a form issue.

Ha. I'm game.

The Zone probably technically isn't a mid but I'll add it to the list anyways.

Zone

Justice (although I prefer the Anvil)

Gator

Or just be like me. I've just been powering down on a Firebird or FD3 when I need a beefy midrange shot that definitely won't flip.

This, I also use my zone then go up to a FB. I could never get a good feel in hard with a true mid FH

I could never get a good feel in hard with a true mid FH

I only forehand if absolutely necessary because I mostly suck at it. The Anvil was one of the first discs I actually felt comfortable with and could forehand decently.

Should you ever decide to try the forehand mid thing again I would highly recommend giving the Anvil a shot. It's also the only mid I like for thumbers, tomahawks, and forehand rollers.

I'll actually take the elitist approach. If you have to throw a midrange that's overstable to throw it forehand, you need to work on your form. I'm not going to go so far as to say you have to throw a comet forehand, that's just a little ridiculous. I do believe you should be able to throw a stable mid range like a buzzz with no issues. Forehand form is all about managing the follow through angle.

another vote for fix your form

clean form and a buzz should work just fine

oat form and youll need a justice or deflector

If you throw very hard, it is possible to power neutral to mildly overstable mids to the point where they turn more than you want them to. What I would recommend; get a moderately overstable mid that is comfortable in a forehand grip for you like a Bard, Drone, Anchor or similar. Learn your angles and speeds with a disc like that.

You could possibly jump to a Justice, Deflector or Pyro right away and it won't flip for you but it could also create issues with release angle if you are still developing your shots.

I have found the dga aftershock to be a great fh mid for practicing with. it really rewards my form when it is clean and lets me know when i have done some thing wrong.

I agree with the consensus here on form, however there is space between your form requiring a Justice vs. being able to keep a neutral mid like a Buzzz on a clean hyzer consistently. It takes a lot of practice to get to the latter. My recommendation is to get a straight-stable (not OS), low profile putter in premium plastic. Play catch with it with a friend, throw it in a field, or use it for all approaches in your next practice round. Once you can dial in a soft hyzer with that, add some power and see how it flies. I use an Aviar3 for this slot. It's great for hyzer-flip approaches and tunnel shots. My true overstable approach disc is the AviarX3.

My recommendation above applies to mids as well, but I'd even say go less stable than a Buzzz. MD, Mako3, Truth, or Buzzz SS are a few options.

To stop preaching and actually answer your question, I like the Mortar, C-line MD4, and Verdict for overstable forehand shots.

You are probably rolling your wrist. I suggest watching Big Jerm throw forehand as it very smooth and you can see how his palm is facing upward after his throw.

However, I'll toss out the Legacy Pursuit. It's flat, beadless, and their Icon plastic is great. After maybe five throws, I knew it was going in the bag and staying there.

While I can forehand my Buzzz, the main reason for my forehand is to get the disc to finish opposite the dominant backhand, so I like to have something overstable. For me right now, this is an MVP Resistor. It,s not a mid, but I find I need at least one speed class more for forehand shots to get the distance I need. So I think of the speed 6/7 Resistor as a mid on a forehand, but a fairway driver on the backhand.

Dont fix your form. Its unnecessary unless your over 1000 rated and are trying to get to the next level.

Backhand is King, then fill in tough angles with the Forehand. Find a disc your comfortable with.

Latest posts