• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand & Overhand Arm Pain

Update:

This past weekend I grabbed three friends (two of which are FH players) and asked them to help my form for about an hour after playing 18. Long story short, I had no arm weakening pain!!! I still had some muscle pain as I've never been able to throw more than 5 FH shots. However Sunday I threw about 50-70 FH shots between 50-220ft. (used only putters and mid-ranges)

The solution was 3 fold:

1) Warming the arm up and keeping loose. I drank plenty of water that day and had 18 holes at the great Mt. Airy DGC to warm myself up.

2) Power control. As a backhand player, I am used to unleashing full strength on each shot. For the FH I was directed to focus more on control and using a different grip (standard 2 finger grip). I formerly used the peace sign grip which was great for really short shots but was forcing me to over arm power the shot on longer throws. Plus it seems like it puts alot of strain on the middle finger. I think the control grip was a big problem for my arm.

3) Using my whole body. Apparently I was throwing really far from my body. So much so my friends told me, "do you model your FH thorw from a baseball swing?" I started keeping it close to my body and using my hips/shoulders to gain power. Combined this with 1 & 2 caused all my shooting pains to go away!!!

***Bonus***

I found out I can throw 220 feet consistently on BH with my opposite hand. (used a comet)

Last edited:
Update:

2) Power control. As a backhand player, I am used to unleashing full strength on each shot.

3) Using my whole body. Apparently I was throwing really far from my body.

Uhhh...I think you need to take that advice to your backhand as well.

I am confused by your statement. "Uhhh...I think you need to take that advice to your backhand as well."

I already throw a teebird 350+ on backhand? just not with my left arm. Only 220'

I still had some muscle pain as I've never been able to throw more than 5 FH shots. However Sunday I threw about 50-70 FH shots between 50-220ft. (used only putters and mid-ranges)

The solution was 3 fold:

2) Power control. As a backhand player, I am used to unleashing full strength on each shot.

3) Using my whole body.

It still sorta sounds like there may be something wrong with your forehand. Throwing shots at those distances should require almost no effort and definitely shouldn't be causing any pain whatsoever.

I don't understand #2. Don't you have to throw approach shots and short drives backhand? Disc is all about control.

You really don't need to use your body at all for forehand shots in the distance range you're talking about. Trying to throw your body into the shot too much without proper elbow and wrist mechanics is what's going to **** up your arm.

Glad you feel like you're making progress though.

It's might be tennis elbow. Overhand/Forehand is not natural. They make bands that cinch to keep all those tendons in the right spot while you're throwing. They help a little.

Form is still the most likely culprit.

Latest posts