• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Tips

Grip N Rip

Par Member
I personally don't forehand unless I need to. My friend on the other hand forehands almost every shot. He is a difficult person to help better his form because a) I don't know proper forehand style to tell him and b) He has TOO much power for his own good. (ex: he turns over the innova Monster and Boss...the monster being highly overstable and the boss being super fast and overstable.) Sometimes I feel my friend is fighting the disc and not going with the flow. When his shots do work out they are bombs of a drive though.

So just wondering if any of you guys has a helpful tip for my friend.

I told him to change his stance and that seemed to help a bit. ( He is a RHFH and used to have his right foot in front when throwing. I told him to have his left foot in front so it is easier to lean over the disc.)

Please any tips would be nice. Thank you

if he's getting over on a boss, then he's rolling his wrist over, or getting the wing too high. The disc should be level at release, and the wrist motion should be like throwing dice on a craps table. Unless he's throwing 650+ regularly, it's not because he's over powering it.

For me the FH is really a very perishable skill. I haven't been playing as regularly as I would like recently and yesterday it took me almost an entire round to get my FH flying straight and level. I guess my only advice would be a lot of practice and a nice fluid motion. In my experience the more power I try to put into my FH the more unpredictable it becomes.

It sounds like your buddy is trying to muscle it too much. Slow it down. Have him take minimal steps in the run up until his throw is more clean. Lead with the elbow. Grip as hard as you can just before the wrist snap. Maybe have him work with something less overstable so he doesn't have to overpower it so much. What grip is he using?

It sounds like your buddy is trying to muscle it too much. Slow it down. Have him take minimal steps in the run up until his throw is more clean. Lead with the elbow. Grip as hard as you can just before the wrist snap. Maybe have him work with something less overstable so he doesn't have to overpower it so much. What grip is he using?

he uses the common middle finger on the rim and index behind it.

definatly keep the elbow close to the body. For me, the snap on a forehand shot is even more important than backhand and more I try and force it, the more OAT I get and the more it just flips on me and dies.

definatly keep the elbow close to the body. For me, the snap on a forehand shot is even more important than backhand and more I try and force it, the more OAT I get and the more it just flips on me and dies.

No kidding about that OAT problem. That is definitely something I struggle with because of my infrequent playing.

I use the Scott Stokely method of facing your body directly at the target, point the disc at the target, let your arm fall straight back and then throw.

I think a key for accurate shots is to "snap the towel" or recoil your arm with your hand pointing at the target. A big no-no is too much follow throw, which is not needed for a forehand shot. If I have extra follow through, that is when my shots turn-over, otherwise, I am deadly accurate with my forehand.

I personally don't agree with the whole 'elbow in' or T-Rex school of thought for a distance shot. It will definitely be easier to control with elbow in, and should be learned this way for midrange and approach shots, but there is a lot of useful power that can be gained by lengthening the lever arm from which you are throwing. It is more difficult to control, but with practice it can be controlled, and the disc can be thrown much further.

I use the Scott Stokely method of facing your body directly at the target, point the disc at the target, let your arm fall straight back and then throw.

I think a key for accurate shots is to "snap the towel" or recoil your arm with your hand pointing at the target. A big no-no is too much follow throw, which is not needed for a forehand shot. If I have extra follow through, that is when my shots turn-over, otherwise, I am deadly accurate with my forehand.

Nice tip. I have noticed this just recently on the only flick I threw in the past month.

I personally don't agree with the whole 'elbow in' or T-Rex school of thought for a distance shot. It will definitely be easier to control with elbow in, and should be learned this way for midrange and approach shots, but there is a lot of useful power that can be gained by lengthening the lever arm from which you are throwing. It is more difficult to control, but with practice it can be controlled, and the disc can be thrown much further.

True. My friend has his long game down. He had a drive on this 800ft hole that was easily 500ft no lie. He just guns it but he needs to learn to tone down his power but keep his form. He turns over many many shots.

I stand still when I throw my forehand shot. Left foot out in front and throw across my body with my fore finger under the rim and the thumb barely on the top of the disc. Rest of the fingers curled on top of each other and not touching the disc.
If I try and take a few quick steps before I throw it the disc either goes flying up in the air or crams itself into the ground.

Anybody know any youtube clips that show good FH form? I'm not particularly interested in distance - I figure if I can get good form in place, then I can develop the rest.

Latest posts