• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand X-Step

DiscinFiend

* Ace Member *
Hey man, I really dont want to be the a*hole for this but this is the second thread in like 24 hours you have put in the general section that directly applies to technique and there is an entire section for that. Based off of your number of posts I would assume you know that but its just kinda clutter and I feel you would probably get better responses in the other sub section versus people discussing god knows what in your thread that I assume you want legit answers in.

I'd go with Big Jerm on this one because Sarah's looks like a guarantee that some random muscle would be pulled.

Hey man, I really dont want to be the a*hole for this but this is the second thread in like 24 hours you have put in the general section that directly applies to technique and there is an entire section for that. Based off of your number of posts I would assume you know that but its just kinda clutter and I feel you would probably get better responses in the other sub section versus people discussing god knows what in your thread that I assume you want legit answers in.

My bad, is there anyway to switch it over?

My bad, is there anyway to switch it over?

either pm a mod asking them to or hope that one of them sees it and moves it for you. I just know that there are people who spend time specifically in that section to answer questions like yours and so you will likely get better/more applicable info

and fwiw, ive never videod my side arm but as best I can tell I do almost like a side shuffle step, i dont think i ever exactly cross, but not sure.

I've noticed two main types of X-Steps when it comes to forehand. Big Jerm throws with a slight X-Step similar to a backhand X-Step, where as Ricky Wysocki & Sarah Hokom use what seems to be the opposite of a backhand X-Step. Which style of X-Step is better when throwing sidearm? Is it better to not have a X-Step?

Sarah Hokom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-qwjJBPVsw&feature=youtu.be

Big Jerm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqI7jt5zNRY

I originally posted this in General Disc Golf Chat :doh:

The plant steps are the most important. Jerm and Hokom both do an x-step that gets them in a good position to plant. Something I think is worth pointing out; Hokom is the first forehand dominant player I know of to be a world champ.

I'd guess that Hokom has a better x-step to plant a little open, jerm a little closed.

I only use a shuffle step, and I don't even do that very often. I look more like a pitcher than an outfielder (for a baseball reference).

Last edited:
The plant steps are the most important. Jerm and Hokom both do an x-step that gets them in a good position to plant. Something I think is worth pointing out; Hokom is the first forehand dominant player I know of to be a world champ.

I'd guess that Hokom has a better x-step to plant a little open, jerm a little closed.

I only use a shuffle step, and I don't even do that very often. I look more like a pitcher than an outfielder (for a baseball reference).

Sarah Cunningham (stanhope) won in 2010. Fh dominant

I have a slight x-step behind or shuffle hop similar to Big Jerm. I feel like it allows me to get more of my weight into the shot with less effort and it's more similar to how an outfielder throws. I don't know how Hokom, Wysocki, Avery, and Stokely throw/threw with the forward step and when I've tried to throw that way it does feel like I'm going to pull something in my core and there's more stress on the arm.

Wysocki's throwing motion with the elbow is eerily similar to Stokely and from what I've read Stokely blew out his elbow on a FH throw.