• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand

I went out today to a field and first practice a little putting (kind of a warm up for me) then begin practicing my forehands. I can get about 230' on a good throw but if the basket was,say,330' the I am gonna be 100'short!
Didn't worry about it though,I figured if I could hit 230 I only need 70' ft more.
I will get there though it may take awhile.
Try throwing with two fingers (I usually use one)and I seemed to get a better grip on the disc and perhaps a little bit better spin. Still have problems though getting that spin that propels it the 300 plus feet. Still a little confused on how that works.Guess I will try to snap the wrist a bit more.
Ishelost - what do you mean by an S angle?

Last edited:
"Still have problems though getting that spin that propels it the 300 plus feet. Still a little confused on how that works.Guess I will try to snap the wrist a bit more"

This really is the key to breaking the barrier. Sometimes visualizing a similar motion from a different activity when throwing helps to make a mental connection. Mark Ellis states that he basically adapted a raquetball "kill shot" to make his FH work. He also noted that another guy on the Discraft video looks like a 3rd baseman throwing to first when he drives. Other posters have related the FH motion to skipping a rock, reverse drawing a pistol and even slapping a midget. I have a couple that I use to help focus on generating better wrist snap. Sometimes I visualize that I am throwing a knife but adjust the motion to sidearm rather than overhand (grip adjusted for dg of course). Other times its chopping a tree with a hand axe. Either activity requires a lot of wrist action to perform correctly so in theory, it should translate when making a drive with a disc. I'm certainly not an expert in the realm of creative visualization but it does seem to help get me back on track when I feel my form is deteriorating.

Also try to keep in mind that the wrist snap is really the only explosive part of a FH drive. Everything up to that point should be an exercise in gradually increasing, controlled acceleration. In fact explosive may be too aggressive a term--its really more like the end of the whip concentrating the release of energy from the advancing wave of the whip.

Keep at it--it will fall into place, it just takes time. It is also a work in progress. The minute you break one barrier you'll hungry for the next.

I have tried the "3rd baseman throwing to first" idea but have to keep reminding myself to throw to first base not up in the seats to the crowd behind him!

One way that helped me learn a forehand throw is watching submarine pitchers in baseball. Go to YouTube and check out some videos of submarine pitchers. Remember to keep your elbow tucked in close to your side, otherwise you risk injury.