• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Analysis- What can I do better?

Looks like you are still not rotating your hips enough. Your right butt cheek should be pointing at the target during your reach back. This allows you to use your core as oppose to just your arm. When you throw it should go, reach back, hips, shoulders, arm, snap.

you and odey need to come back for a weekend and play...new baskets at pecan and the lake, and fresh dirt on the tee-pads on all the courses:hfive:

We have been talking about it, thing is my only off day right now is Sunday so it would be a very short trip. We have just been playing Windwood, Oak Meadows, and Spring Valley lately cause they are all close to our homes. We should have a DGCR-Nacogdoches meet though haha I'm sure we could get a good group of people together.

/thread jack

While the second video was much better, IMO, you'll be better off worrying about what's going on near the hit than working on your reach back. You aren't really making it to the power zone. Your shoulders are too far ahead of your elbow and you aren't close to your chest. The hammer pound drills done correctly will help with that a lot.

Adds hip rotation.

Here is Nate Doss' reachback

reachback2.jpg

You know what's funny...well, maybe not funny, but ironic, is that ND reachback looks extremely similar to Katchz's reachback that everyone was giving him **** for.

With that said, I've seen a few people with the underarm reachback that throw just fine. I have a friend that throws 500' like that and I think that's how Garret Guthrie throws as well.

It's all about what works for you. Find what feels comfortable to you and PERFECT it.

This is not necessarily true. It is true that timing trumps body positions, but certain body positions allow people to learn the right timing more easily. And things that aren't comfortable when you start doing it, you can get used to, and they end up being more comfortable then the original position.

GG does throw like this, and he's one of the most powerfull throwers in the game. It's all about what works for you. Find what feels comfortable to you and PERFECT it.
http://youtu.be/vEOFR1fgWS8

This is not necessarily true. It is true that timing trumps body positions, but certain body positions allow people to learn the right timing more easily. And things that aren't comfortable when you start doing it, you can get used to, and they end up being more comfortable then the original position.

This is exactly why people don't get good advice sometimes. They're told to find what feels right and do it. And, it's often not what produces power. As Triflusal said, once you learn correctly and learn the muscle memory behind it. It will feel as natural as what you were doing before, and produce power.

The reach back is a problem, and you're fixing that. But, as Garu said. You're not waiting till the disc is in the power zone before you're starting your pull. You're starting your pull from where your reach back ends. That robs you of a tremendous amount of power. Your body should almost naturally pull your arm back into the pec zone, through last step of your X-step. Since you're not getting any hip and upper body rotation, you're not doing this. Thus you're forced to strong arm. Once the arm is into that power zone around your chest and right pec, you should then assist by starting your pull.

This is why we stress going from the hit back, starting with pec/hammer drills and stand still throws to learn timing. Then going into the X-step. Once you have the timing and know when to accelerate, you'll know not to start accelerating the arm till it's there when you're doing the X-step.

O wow, I never noticed that I did that with my left arm- should be an easy habit to break though.

The best thing to happen for my form was hurting my non-throwing shoulder. I was "forced" (by pain) to hold my left arm close to my body. It added 50 feet of distance immediately. I'm glad my form is cleaner, but my shoulder still hurts.

Latest posts