• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forward two steps, Back tree

czechit

So I am a new player to the wonderful world of frolf. Over the summer, being my first, I have met quite a few players. Most are intrigued at the distance I throw forward hand (not sure on the correct terminology, apologize). Repeatedly they tell me that I can achieve a much greater distance throwing back handed. Cool, so I try. Every time I end up nailing the closest tree, shrub, ground, etc. I usually find this hilarious, take my shot and continue forward hand on the next hole.

If any of you have started out similarly and graduated to a clean and remarkably better back hand shot, I'm interested. As well as any advice, should one be so inclined. Thanx!

czech it

go to an open field with no trees in the way and throw for a while to get a good feel for the disc without having to worry about hitting things, then try again on the course

Also look up some disc golf videos on Youtube. Discraft has published a number of instructional videos on Youtube, and lots of people recommend the instructions of a guy named Dan Beato (Beto?).

Finally, please don't call it "frolf." That word makes me feel dirty.

Also look up some disc golf videos on Youtube. Discraft has published a number of instructional videos on Youtube, and lots of people recommend the instructions of a guy named Dan Beato (Beto?).

Finally, please don't call it "frolf." That word makes me feel dirty.

There you have it.

Ditto on the frolf thing:cool:

go to an open field with no trees in the way and throw for a while to get a good feel for the disc without having to worry about hitting things, then try again on the course

do this after watching the dan beato vids on youtube. or if you have access to it try the fundamentals dvd.

If you can throw forehand accurately then stick with it, you'll need to develop a backhand over time for certain things but stick with what you know for now.

There are some good threads on terminology, but i'll give you a quick summary.
forehand-if you're right handed, this is throwing with the disc on the right side of your body.
backhand-you seem to know what that is. It's the opposite of forehand (kind of).
overhand-throwing the disc like a baseball (2 types: hammer and thumber).

yeah best bet is to develop your snap in a big open field. that way you learn which lines your discs like when you throw backhand. throwing a KC Roc really helped me learn how to snap a disc hard with no wobble. those and putters.

if you cant throw a putter 200' accurately, go to the field and throw until you can. as they take more more hyzer and control to throw far, they will teach you to use the same control and smoothness in your shot when you drive, which helps a ton.

Fwi, commonly discs used for fh shots don't always transfer well to bh for newer players. Learn from my mistakes and throw mids bh.

I went through the same thing about 5 years ago when I started and many locals said "develop the backhand". I tried it, had no success but still enjoy the game. Definitely work on the backhand as time permits but don't feel that you have to throw backhand because everyone else does. I've managed to survive on the forehand(375'), thumber(275') and forehand roller(300') while my consistent backhand tops out at just under 200'. My biggest issue is that I was almost 40 when I started playing and was too stubborn to spend a lot of time developing the backhand(otherwise known as practicing).

I also agree with "craftsman" good forehand discs don't always translate to good backhand discs - Man I hate a Valkyrie!

Latest posts