• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Found this

BionicRib

* Ace Member *
Let me first start off by saying that I have no idea why this basket has this stand on the bottom(To transport easier/anywhere, which makes sense). I was dinking around craiglist and saw it. I am not accusing anybody of anything, but I'm not gonna lie that this just seems a bit odd to me. I've seen baskets cut at the base at courses locally and have heard stories of others. Also the fact that it is advertised as a disc golf "cage" makes me wonder, as I would think that most people that would drop 300 to 400 on a disc golf basket would know enough to call it a disc golf basket. Nor would they not say what kind of basket it was IMO

Can anybody shed some light on this?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tag/4283276266.html

PS...I apologize ahead of time if I am mistaken, just curious if my suspicions are not just paranoia.

PS #2 If anyone knows where this may have come from don't contact the number in the ad, just call the police, although I really hope this is not the case.

$300 bucks seems like rip off considering the base.

if you had the original basket with the sleeve (not the wheel/stand, which I'm not 100% sure dga makes that basket with the wheel/stand) wouldn't you have to cut the post to mod it like that? If you didn't it would be standing much taller, wouldn't it?

From seeing alot of different baskets online for sale this one doesn't seem to look like others that I have seen marketed as "portable" .. and I did notice on zoom at the base it seems the original pole is crimped to fit the base? I would have to agree with the OP on his suspicions that it is not legit.. also why in the description "This is the same heavy duty basket you will find on most courses in the country." IMO it's a great catch by the OP.. :thmbup:

^I don't think its a slam dunk that it was ripped off, I just don't understand why someone would buy a basket (whether with a base/stand already attached or with collar and sleeve) and then mod it like that. Then advertise it and not say what kind of dga basket it is and call it a cage. Any disc golf detectives in the milwaukee area out there?

the shortness of the pole, the crimp, the BS base, cage... I agree with the OP... smells rotten, but it's all circumstantial, nothing solid.

where and how does dga mark their baskets they sell for courses? I can't remember off the top of my head

It's Milwaukee so nothing really surprises me. I don't remember hearing of any baskets being stolen around here.

Smells fishy to me. You know "one of those disc catcher holeout things."

A Mach V like that retails for $340 plus shipping direct from DGA, and that's the portable model with base and wheel. The non-portable versions (direct cement or anchor & collar) are cheaper. If he really paid $400 for it online, it was through a third party with mark-up. But even so, where's the base? There has to be a story behind that if someone wanted to ask.

Beyond the appearance of the target, I'd be skeptical of any sale where the seller didn't use the right terminology for the product. The only folks I ever hear call a basket a "cage" are the casual hacker types. Someone spending $400 on a practice basket isn't buying a "cage", they are buying and know they're buying a DGA Mach 5. While that doesn't necessarily suggest stolen, it does suggest he probably didn't pay what he says he did for it. He'd move it faster if he dropped the asking price, for sure.

Sad to say it does seem a bit sketchy to me as well. I hate assuming the worst of people but others have already pointed out the reasons I wouldn't purchase this basket from this guy. I'd probably call or email him and ask him some questions just to see what he said. And then look into any missing baskets over the last year or so around town. If it still seemed sketchy I'd probably call the cops and let them look into it.

One of the guys in our club went to go look at a basket like this from Craigslist
When he told him it looked like a basket that was stolen from one of our local courses.
(Which it was)
The guy had some big story about neighbors leaving it for some money they owed him.
So the guy from our club just told him sorry, it's our basket, tossed it in his truck and left.
The basket is back on a local course.

Everyone should call this guy, ask him the story about how and where he got it, and see what he says.

If basket makers don't mark their "course" baskets with a specific serial number or hidden mark, I think they should start.

mattc - Glad you all were able to retrieve your guys' course basket. That's just crazy.

Last edited:
Ive purchased 2 baskets from craigslist. The 1st one was probably stolen ten years before I bought it from storage auction deal. It was very old and It was cut off about a foot below the basket. The 2nd one was more recently and I bought it for $40. I'm sure its stolen as well and I've been looking for a course missing a basket locally but haven't found any so I'm gonna hang onto it for a while. I'm not a cop and I figure its better off with me than at the scrap yard. Not everyone is a dirtbag criminal who's out to screw disc golfers. If anyone in socal hears of a missing basket, let me kniw and we can get it back home

Last edited:

Latest posts