• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FOUR SOME QUESTIONS

swellerdiscgolf

Birdie Member
My buddies and I want to do a foursome / doubles play but our problem is noone's scores match up good to do doubles. We are open to suggestions on how to pair up.

Our scores at our home course are:
1. -2 - even (Justin)
2. -1 - +1 (Ray)
3. +6 - +8 (Dan)
4. +18 - +20 (Mike)

Ona any given day, ray and juustin can beat each other. Dan has shot as low as -2, but also gets up to + 10 some times. Mike just started and gets frustrated playing with us, because we all out drive him, and he misses easy putts like noobs normally do.

(names have been changed to protect the innocent)

I'd pair Ray and Justin vs. Dan and Mike. Give Dan and Mike a -8 to their total round, and Mike (only) is allowed 3-4 mulligans. Tweak until it's usually a wash.

If Mike can play a little more to be able to roughly figure a handicap - then it wouldn't matter who he is paired with. Then he could shot a great +5 round for him and that would be like a shooting -4 for or so for Justin.

Is it just me or does this sound like a math word problem?

i usally play very conservetive on my 2nd shots and long putts(approach shots) but always go for it of the tee so i usally do better with noobs who basically just get u in the fairway as apposed to someone who is very good but who will throw the same shot u just screwed up on instead of playing it safe.Doubles really is a different beast i think the best partner alot of times is someone who wont make the same mistakes as you, basically a par safty net. so i would say put mike with the guy that loves to go all out all the time.but u might just wanna flip for it u just never know what will work ,alot of people dont know this and talk alot of sh** but anna kornacova is actually a pretty badass doubles player and has won a few touneys but shes never won on her own

i usally play very conservetive on my 2nd shots and long putts(approach shots) but always go for it of the tee so i usally do better with noobs who basically just get u in the fairway as apposed to someone who is very good but who will throw the same shot u just screwed up on instead of playing it safe.Doubles really is a different beast i think the best partner alot of times is someone who wont make the same mistakes as you, basically a par safty net. so i would say put mike with the guy that loves to go all out all the time.but u might just wanna flip for it u just never know what will work ,alot of people dont know this and talk alot of sh** but anna kornacova is actually a pretty badass doubles player and has won a few touneys but shes never won on her own

I like the tennis reference and you are right, it is very true.

I agree with this. Then if it needs tweaking you can use some of the other ideas as far as giving strokes and mulligans.

depending upon the difference on the front 9 the team doing better will allow the other team a few extra throws, ie two shanked drives and they get a new one. so its very similar to a mulligan but you can pick which member rethrows.

I sometimes get together with a group on Sunday mornings that I don't normally play with, and here's what they do to figure out doubles partners.....Hole 1 everyone throws their best driver,as if they were trying to park it. The closest to the pin, and the furthest from the pin are partners, then it goes back from there. It's interesting sometimes because it is a pride thing as to can get closest to the pin, and just a slight miscue <or a tree> can put you wayyyy back from the pin, and a normally really good player could be back, and paired with a guy who just has the hot hand for that day. You could try something like that with your friends, and maybe add in a mulligan here or there to keep it close.

I agree that the best player and worst player should be paired together and the two middle players should be paired up. Maybe you could use a "best throw" system where the pair could decide whose throw to take but both partners have to take a "scored throw" on each hole (unless there is an ace).

I know that when my buddies and I play with 5 or 6 we include the best and worst score for each team on each hole. It is a good way to keep all the players interested because on any given hole their score could matter. It pits those of similar skill levels on each team against each other.