• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Freaks of nature

Pretty sure the OP was talking about one particular disc that is freakishly good even over other discs of that same mold, not what mold you like the most...

Yep. The disc (Surge) I was talking about was silly. Head and shoulders above every other Surge I've ever thrown.

I'm going to say it's the stiff D magnet I found the other day. It's so stable. At 320' putter power is doesn't flip up/over in any way. Never moves from the line I let it go on.

I'm going to have to go with my blue 174g Fuzion Trespass... Thrown at 400', has 0 turn with good fade. No problem trusting this to have minimal turn even in a 15mph head wind. Even with it's overstability, still gets good distance. Just a notch less stable than my beat up Fuzion enforcer.

The most beat KC or DX Roc, or Big Bead Aviar.

The more beat they get, the better. And they never become useless.

Just a selection of a few off the the top of my head that I've personally thrown a lot:

A domey 173 TP mega pop top mega pearly ice blue king. The DD Chasing the chains van made a nearly impromptu stop at my local course and hosted a small doubles tournament and my buddy spotted some nice kings. He got the coolest white TP double stamp but I snagged this one and didn't know what to expect because the two flat kings I threw in the past were crazy understable. Too many throws to count later and it is one of my favorite flyers of all time. Brand new it only wanted to turn a little on a near full power shot but over the season I threw it constantly and it was, to my surprise, clearly my farthest flying disc though my havocs that I had already owned for a season were close. This disc was truly a gem for me and gets the number 1 nod of my list. I learned a whole lot with this disc. Honorable mention my top top 171 pink opto havoc with a green sparkle stamp which was very similar to my king yet quite clearly less preferable.

A 175 champ groove that my buddy gave me. Most grooves I've encountered in the past were very overstable with heavy flashing but this one has no flashing and I threw it just over 500ft flat ground a couple times this year. So comfy in hand, especially for it's rim width, and it just flies like a dream. Deserves absolutely 0% of the ignorance it receives, what a perfect disc.

159 domey, stiff blizzard boss. I bought it in a disc store on a trip for fun planning on never bagging it but it shocked me. I picked this one by comparing plh with a heavy star boss in the shop that felt "normal" to me, my blizzard had the same plh. This disc was so much more overstable than I imagined it would be even though the star boss felt overstable to me in the store. This disc taught me a few interesting things about disc density. It really exceeded my expectations for the capabilities of an overstable disc of any kind.

179 DX roc. My first roc, only a little waxy but still very grippy and plenty stiff. Started off almost but not quite wasp overstable and wore in soo nicely into a perfect disc for straight shots and eventually turnovers. This disc really helped me appreciate turning straight flying discs, beads, classic designs, and even more so dome, and base plastic! Where as before hand I didn't rate any of these characteristics highly. Now I absolutely love all of these qualities. I never liked the feel of this disc in power grip but I just didn't care frankly, it flew so nicely.

Pink 178 Z Comet. I bought it years ago after reading about it on these forums and wow was everyone right. A domey, slow midrange that doesn't start off very understable and wears gradually into a perfect understable midrange. Just too, too, too fun to throw and to watch slowly glide.

First Run 180 Z Meteor. My personal favorite. Same stability as my comet but quite noticeably faster. Yet to my great surprise I actually prefer it for most of the same shots. My ability to control this disc so very well and so naturally totally shocked me and I couldn't believe that I prefer it to my beat rocs and my comets so clearly. Nuff said really...just my absolute admiration and chemistry with this disc still surprises me.

My first two zones. Both marked 172 but actually slightly overweight, very puddle topped. One ESP and one stiff Cryztal. I haven't bagged them for a very long time but they shocked me in a couple ways. One way was comfort, maybe the most comfy premium plastic disc I've ever gripped in fan grip and especially in my forehand grip. Another was just how nasty overstable they were. I had thrown flx and limited edition z drones in the past but these were both clearly more overstable than any drone I had thrown at the time (not the case anymore). I mean just total meathooks. I had thrown more overstable discs than these before obviously, but I just wasn't ready for these.

A few other's come to mind. My first buzzz (Z, still throw it!), a wonderfully skippy nukeos, an awesome champ roadrunner, my first few teebirds (flat, domey, champ, star, etc. etc.), a few Legacy protege clutches, but I could go on even longer. I wonder what disc will amaze me next.

My Opto Halo I pulled out of a pond that came super beat. It is totally understable and got me into understable discs and hyzerflips.

Cool stories. I love finding those rare discs that shine far and away above others of the same mold. The true freaks of nature.

CFR Wraith

Agusta wraith, parked a 425 ft hole that previously with my orc I couldnt even reach the circle

I have a yellow 174 Augusta CFR that is to this day the best Wraith I've ever thrown. Good dome, great glide. Best plastic blend too. Stiff and durable.

A 170g red DX classic roc. I would use it for 35-100 foot spin putts. I could hit it with everything I had and it would hold a straight line, no turn, no fade, dead straight. Canopy issues couldn't stop this thing; it wouldn't need to fly any more than 6 feet off the ground to glide 100 feet. Haven't been able to find another like it. Most fade out, and if I beat the fade out of 'em, they begin to turn.

My worn in orange marbled max weight domey SDS Destroyer. Tossed at 80% power it has a dead straight flight with little to no fade on a 400'+ drive. It turns a bit in a headwind but if it's calm its my go to max distance driver in most cases. My newer max weight Destroyers have some turn right out of the box so I'll be sad if I ever lose my favorite SDS.

Latest posts