• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FREE VINYL!!!!

Is there any significant difference between the free 3m vinyl and the oracal 651 that seems to be the most popular around here? I still have a bunch of the 3m stuff but didn't know if it would be worthwhile to scrap it for oracal. Will I get better results with oracal? Thanks.

Yeah, Id like to hear the feedback on this as well to decide if its worth my time to go thru the whole phone call thing and stuff if the stuff isnt any better or worse etc

Is there any significant difference between the free 3m vinyl and the oracal 651 that seems to be the most popular around here?

Don't know about popular. But Contrary to my previous comments the Oracal is superior in this respect...the 3M leaves a LOT of goo! The Oracal by contrast hardly any. There's been a couple of times when dyeing 2 disc's & i had 1 cut sheet of 3M & 1 of Oracal. The Oracal ALWAYS came out with less goo! Other than that i'm fine using either.

I just got my 2 free rolls of vinyl from 3m - holy crap, it's literally 4 foot tall rolls - yes, plural, 2 rolls. Both 4' long boxes.... I better get good at this so I can use all this vinyl!

Be careful on the bleeds - if it is "quick release" technology, the adhesive is in fine lines.
:doh:
Learned this the hard way with my free vinyl....

Once you go from 3M to Oracle 651 you will see the difference. Sharper lines, more detail, and limited sticky residue. I prefer white, the paper underneath is blue so it makes cutting and checking your work really easy.

i need to get some vinyl. I got some scraps from a couple local companies and I dont know the brands or model of the vinyl and have been havin a bunch of bleed issues. Ive questioned if im gettin too hot but with all my playin around i have to get it to a certain temp for it to start to take the color and some of the vinyl holds just fine and others it just melts right off pretty much

i need to get some vinyl. I got some scraps from a couple local companies and I dont know the brands or model of the vinyl and have been havin a bunch of bleed issues. Ive questioned if im gettin too hot but with all my playin around i have to get it to a certain temp for it to start to take the color and some of the vinyl holds just fine and others it just melts right off pretty much
PM me. I will sell or barter you perfectly sized circles of good vinyl for cheap.

Dammit.

Every time I see this thread pop up I think somebody's giving away their record collection. :mad: :doh: :eek:

ordered a roll of somethin lol idk what kind it is but its got blue paper and comes in a 4ft roll. sounds good to me for free!

Submitted my request and waiting for the confirmation. Thanks for the info.
Has anyone tried using this stuff in a plotter? Oracle worked best when I got it and another sub brand. Hoping this huge roll works out pretty well.

FYI - My 3M Scotchcal roll has the same "thin glue line"' others have mentioned. Used it last night & when I pulled it off, noticed little bleeds - I think someone suggested hitting it w/a hair dryer before dying in order to fix it.

Also - the glue is strooonnnggg stuff - scrubbed & scrubbed, and finally went to Lowes to get some goo-gone. It was the only way I could clean it off the disk.

i ordered some rolls finally and of course before i fully read this thread, i said i was dying discs:mad::doh::thmbdown: so now im prob gonna get sheets.

I still use my free 3m stuff. I really like its flexibility and how easy it is to squeegee out the air bubbles. I don't use it for detail work cuz of bleeds, but if you take the time to smash down after the hair drier it is pretty good.

I hit my 3m stuff w/the hair dryer before I put it in the dip - has eliminated bleeds (so far).

I hate how much residue is left on the disc after I pull it off...

i just got off the phone with 3m, excited to start dyeing soon. hopefully it will be here before the weekend.

Latest posts