• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

from Ar to Mckinney Texas

callsignraven

I will be heading out from my home course in Ar this week, heading down for a business meeting in McKinney TX. I am taking a look at the courses not too far off the route to decide what I really want to play on Thursday (return travel day) and was hoping for some helpful input/possible meetups.

I am a very new player (around 3 weeks)and I am not particularly good. I really try to avoid courses where I am likely to lose a disc (any water bordering a hole). All that said, I really love the game so far, and can't wait to play more.

Right now i am really thinking about playing the alex clark memorial course in McKinney and possibly the Trey Texas ranch courses just because they are along the route and so highly reviewed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Trey Texas is a great couple of courses, just give them a call ahead of time to let them know you'll be there. Trey Deuce is a little bit shorter and mildly easier. Texas Twist is a Texas Bomber course. Very long, but lots of fun. I highly recommend both if you have time.

I'm passing through the same area, and I'm also having trouble choosing where to play on the way. I'm debating between DeGray Lower Lake and Spring Lake in Texarkana.

I'm gonna play Trey, but I can't decide whether to detour north to hit Clark and Towne or just do The Cedars in Fate and Harry Myers in Rockwall. They all look fun, so I don't think I can make a bad decision.

I'm passing through the same area, and I'm also having trouble choosing where to play on the way. I'm debating between DeGray Lower Lake and Spring Lake in Texarkana.

I'm gonna play Trey, but I can't decide whether to detour north to hit Clark and Towne or just do The Cedars in Fate and Harry Myers in Rockwall. They all look fun, so I don't think I can make a bad decision.

If you don't mind the tolls on the Bush Turnpike then Towne and Clark aren't that bad of a commute from Rockwall. Towne has some interesting shots but has no elevation. I don't think I'll ever play Fate again, not really much to say about it but it's another course bagged, same for Alex Clarke but it's a nice warm up for Towne.

I won't have time. If you could only play one: Townes or Myers? I know the ratings say Myers but I liked the Townes pics better. If it's a toss-up, I'll just stay on course and hit Rockwall.

declarcus, are you running through on Thursday we could meet up and try to play Trey.

Is Trey something you can really enjoy by yourself? It looks like quite the course, but I am willing to try anything once!

I am planning on playing alex clark since it is only 10 minutes from where I have to be. Trey also looks like it is about 10 minutes off of my route.

Is town lake pretty newbie friendly? The reviews online made it sound like there was just a huge chance to lose discs in that deep creek. I picked up disc golf as an inexpensive hobby, but it is staying pretty expensive for me right now as I keep replacing my lost discs.

I lived in Texarkana for a few years, and I'd definitely suggest Arkadelphia. I haven't played there, but the consensus in Txk is that
those courses are better.

I won't have time. If you could only play one: Townes or Myers? I know the ratings say Myers but I liked the Townes pics better. If it's a toss-up, I'll just stay on course and hit Rockwall.
Myers hands down.

Is town lake pretty newbie friendly? The reviews online made it sound like there was just a huge chance to lose discs in that deep creek. I picked up disc golf as an inexpensive hobby, but it is staying pretty expensive for me right now as I keep replacing my lost discs.
It is fairly newbie friendly from the short tees and can be played safe. The mud and mosquitoes were something else though. :gross:

I went thru on Wednesday. I had a great sunrise round at DeGrey Lower Lake. Pretty place, well maintained, big flat pads and birdie friendly. And right off I-30.

Trey Deuce was windy, soggy and tough to stay oriented at times, and I still loved it. I decided to play the close tees, which were still a fair challenge. I'd say it's beginner friendly. But don't get me wrong, I still had a couple bogeys and a double, so it's no cake walk. It's a well designed course on a great piece of land.

Myers was also fun. I see why it's an area favorite, and while there were several other people playing, it never really got backed up. The park space is well used, which offers a good variety of shots. I probably should've backed up to the long tees, but I was running out of daylight.

Thanks for all the advise that helped make it a great day of DG.