• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
Groove = "disc-tease"

you buy one because you are intimidated by the Boss write up...
then you get it and realize that it is more of a meathook than your most overstable disc... in the random times you mess up and actually get it to throw right, it goes... but in the process, it's too inconsistent and too advanced for you... and after a week or so, it sits in the "to be traded" category.

in short, it's the epitome of the disc that needs a pro to throw... and if they can, the groove wouldnt be their choice.

I'm just stoked that i finally got rid of mine via trade, i defintely couldnt get it to do whatever it is supposed to do. i guess i thought it would be like a wraith i could get a little more distance out of, but boy was I wrong. at least its gone now, i jumped on the first opportunity to trade it away for anything i could get.

I recently traded away a surge to get a Groove from a local friend of mine.

My opinion, The disc takes a very large amount of accuracy to get it on a consistent path.

If you get the angle of release right, the thing flies quite a long ways, and gives a very nice fade pattern (hit chains off the tee earlier today, but it bounced out :( )

but, if you do make a mistake, the thing drops like a rock and skips hard off to the left (RHBH)

in my opinion the disc is a lot of risk/reward. If your style of play (technique) is close to what the Groove requires, it can be the best disc in you bag (as it is becoming in mine), otherwise, it's crap (my friend hated the thing)

Of course I also like the beast as well...so

they are TRASH, each one has its own unique stability and in general all of them are super nose sensitive (more so than a Boss/Katana) i think by releasing the Katana Innova is kinda admitting failure on the Groove

I had the Katana, and hated it...only thing I found it good for was as a roller...I would totally overpower it, I guess I just had too much snap on my forehand for it to handle...way oversensitive for my taste. Traded it for another disc.

I can bomb my Groove. Not my favorite, but I like it alot. I've never seen a problem with consistantcy

I have a friend that uses one I dyed for him, not sure if he keeps using it because of the cool dye job or that he's fooled himself into thinking it's a good disc. He can't throw it to save his life and not only that, he has it, along with a teerex, boss, wraith and starfire all in the same bag. He's hard headed...

The only thing I've seen useful from grooves are playing it's skip, those mofos skip farther and higher than anything.

IMHO a pro boss is a far superior disc to a champ groove.

For the most part, the Katana is what the groove was supposed to be.

I Have had 3 Grooves, and love each of them. I lost my first one, replaced it and got an ace with the 2nd, which I retired for the third. All three have seemed to work the exact same. I find the dynamics to be predictable AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE SPEED RIGHT. In other words, on rounds where I am starting to grow tired, I'll throw with more arm then wrist snap, and the Groove responds with a hyser dive with a ton of backspin. If I throw it with the right amount of wrist snap, it will fly a beautiful S-curve with predictable high and low speed turning.

I can only guess that the people who hate this disc are not getting the right amount of wrist snap/tortional speed to get it to do what it is supposed to do.

Personally, I love it, and it's my primary driver on longer holes.

Sexy unthrown Groove in this pic link, page 4 I think: http://s1018.photobucket.com/albums/af304/alexjohnson13/

I have a friend that uses one I dyed for him, not sure if he keeps using it because of the cool dye job or that he's fooled himself into thinking it's a good disc. He can't throw it to save his life and not only that, he has it, along with a teerex, boss, wraith and starfire all in the same bag. He's hard headed...

The only thing I've seen useful from grooves are playing it's skip, those mofos skip farther and higher than anything.

thats and ugly bag... I've got a teerex and wraith..but a boss and starefire too? has he ever heard of a sidewinder?

and yes, the groove does skip alot. not very good for wooded holes

thats and ugly bag... I've got a teerex and wraith..but a boss and starefire too? has he ever heard of a sidewinder?

and yes, the groove does skip alot. not very good for wooded holes

Yea, he has a sidewinder and a roadrunner...but he dislikes katanas. He's played DG longer than me and more courses than me yet he still thinks having 5646556 different molds has it's purposes. He'll go into telling me what determines which one he uses and why but I'll never understand why he does it no matter how many times he explains his reasoning.

:wall:

Extreme mold issues with the Grooves. I have found 3 of em on the courses and all 3 have had different flight patterns. Plus the curved lip these things have does not agree with my grip.

Blah.. ackk.. burp...

ahh indigestion.. i just ate a Groove and it doesn't agree with me

better take an alkatanaseltzer.... pop pop soar soar oh what a relief it is!

I finally found a use for my Groove. It is great for hard, low throws to take big dogleg left holes, like hole 8 at Coachman or 6b at Tocobaga. If you have a 290-340 dogleg left just toss it extremely hard, low, with hyzer and it is very predictable. I also love the monarch. That thing goes dead straight up to 350 for me.

The problem is that there are probably at least a dozen other discs that could do it better.

Last edited:
if you can throw a Groove to its potential, why would you not just throw a Boss?

Also, I can't find a single sponsored Innova player who has one in the bag.

I had one of the "good" Grooves. I used it on forehand shots... but after realizing that I could better control the Boss on long forehand shots, even the "good" Groove no longer had a place in my bag.

Sold it at Play It Again Sports in Carrollton... someone has a "good" one.

I've also had 3 funky ones... backups for Grooves just don't work because they aren't consistent.

I don't like the Monarch either... the only one I ever liked ended up washed away in a flooded creek... the replacements just weren't the same.

I have one, but don't have the arm to throw it. I found that out shortly after owning it.

The Groove is an awesome disc and fortunately, for a limited time offer* I have a green first run Groove available to trade. PM quickly, this bad boy is ready to move!

*Offer stands until the end of days when the rivers will run red with blood and all sinners will be cast asunder, or until I get bored and chuck it into Harris Lake at Buckhorn.

I guess it's not a horrible disc but it takes everything i have to get it out there. I throw back hand so maybe that's why i struggle with it.