• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
I threw 54 with the Groove this weekend. It was a brand new Champ plastic, 171 gram second run.

I'm learning the forehand shot and tested it out against the equally new Star Boss I picked it up.

I went to the local 'grip and rip' course with no real obstacles and let 'er fly.

I like the speed and spin I can generate on it and I was able to forehand it 300 consistently and a few out to 330-350. I like the disc in general but I do have one complaint, which is probably my fault and not the disc.

It just climbs up and up (presumably because of the high glide number), killing my distance. I'm sure it's me and my crappy form as I've only been forehanding for about 2 months now. However, I could take the Boss and consistently throw it 50 feet further than the Groove because it didn't climb so damn much.

Is the Groove super sensitive to nose angle at release, and why wouldn't the Boss also be? I'm going to have to figure out how to keep the nose down if I'm ever going to do anything more distance-wise with the Groove. Every time I tried to keep the nose down I ended up putting it into the ground.

Still, good disc overall. I just haven't figured out how to throw it properly yet.

I have also found that the Groove is very nose-sensitive. I have found that it can have a really nice S-curve when thrown properly. It has a pronounced fade at the end of its flight (I have not hit many trees with it yet). If I nose it up, it tends to fade quite hard right (RHFH), and loses much of its distance. I have gotten some pretty damn good distance with this disc compared with my Wraiths and Orcs, but I haven't found it to be very predictable based on nose angle.

I have also found that the Groove is very nose-sensitive. I have found that it can have a really nice S-curve when thrown properly. It has a pronounced fade at the end of its flight (I have not hit many trees with it yet). If I nose it up, it tends to fade quite hard right (RHFH), and loses much of its distance. I have gotten some pretty damn good distance with this disc compared with my Wraiths and Orcs, but I haven't found it to be very predictable based on nose angle.

I bought one and put it away for awhile. I've been throwing it this week and have found many of the same things that you have mentioned.
The groove also seems to climb really quickly. I threw my max D with it backhand today though but not very consistently

I bought one and put it away for awhile....The groove also seems to climb really quickly.

I threw it almost exclusively last weekend and it climbs almost too much for me. So I put it away and threw something else for the remaining games as well.

I'll come back to it when I'm better at controlling the nose angle.

Groove is crazy disc. On a weird perfect line, it will be 50' past anything else I have, somewhere out there 450+ on a big helix. However, I haven't found any consistency with it... For now, fun to play with in an open field or in practice rounds... BAD IDEA to use this in tourney or other competitive rounds. I don't know if it will ever feel predictable... and for what it's worth, I'm using a 1st run Champion Groove at 167g. I usually throw Teebirds and Destroyers for max backhand D.

I found the same thing but I stuck with it and it's helped with all my throws. I played the other day in really heavy winds. There was this crazy tailwind on a hole that smacked down the other 3 drives on my card. I threw my monarch on a slightly nose down low line drive. It went a lot further than I normally throw on that hole and I outdrove the card by 100 feet.

I bought a Groove about 6wks ago (170g). I threw it once or twice and just didn't like it very well. I decided to pull it out of the bag this week and give it another try, and I was very pleased with the way it flew. I'm sure the first couple times I threw it were just bad shots, and gave me a false perception of not liking the discs. I can see this disc quickly becoming one of my favorite drivers.

Talking with some of the better players around town about the Groove and the Boss. We came up with an analogy to race cars. These faster discs handle like race cars in that you can get off the road quick if you oversteer just a little. In other words, these faster discs are much more sensitive to nose angle.

I have a couple bosses, had a groove, but my best drives seem to come from my destroyers or wraiths

Talking with some of the better players around town about the Groove and the Boss. We came up with an analogy to race cars. These faster discs handle like race cars in that you can get off the road quick if you oversteer just a little. In other words, these faster discs are much more sensitive to nose angle.

Good analogy and makes sense!

The Boss IMO is noticeably less sensitive to nose angle than the Groove. I've thrown both a good bit over the last 3 weeks and honestly I prefer the Boss. Keep in mind I'm not a pro and I don't play one on TV. Not even close! ;)

Love the boss and the groove. I use them so much now. You need a big arm and long hole to use them but worth it if you can chunk.

When I first got the groove it climmed real bad for me to. Now I bring the disk a little higher in my back swing( nipple--nipple snap, or just below the ear), and with a good snap it will fly atleast 300' straight. To get s flight I dont bring it so high in my back swing. I'm new to the game but I practice 20 or so hours a week. I hope this helps.

I think the Groove ROCKS! It's added on average 50' to my drives. And nothing in my bag flies as straight on a drive. I don't have a big arm, far from it, so every foot extra I get on a drive is a bonus.

I think the Groove ROCKS! It's added on average 50' to my drives. And nothing in my bag flies as straight on a drive. I don't have a big arm, far from it, so every foot extra I get on a drive is a bonus.

Same here. You have given me hope. If it gets me out to 300ft or just a little more, I will be happy with that.

Same here. You have given me hope. If it gets me out to 300ft or just a little more, I will be happy with that.

I hear ya and that's about where the Groove gets me at my best. I gotta work on my consistency with it though but generally I find it very forgiving. And even when I let go with a stinker it still gets 25+ more feet than any othre disc I throw.

One side note - My Groove is fairly light, 165g. It becomes very squirrely and unreliable into a strong headwind. This past Monday I drove it easily 325 but like Scott Norwood of Buffalo Bills fame, WIDE RIGHT! Way right and out of bounds.

Any other comments from flickers (forehand throwers)? It seems the people that flick say it is a good disc but rises pretty bad- any other opinions?

Any other comments from flickers (forehand throwers)? It seems the people that flick say it is a good disc but rises pretty bad- any other opinions?

I throw forehand and find the opposite to be true or maybe I'm just concentrating on a lower release. In any case even when rises it still goes further than my Beast or Destroyer.

I love my groove! Just bought it last week, and I have played three rounds with it so far...it flies out of my hand and is very predictable...I am parking drives that used to need a decent up throw on. The only thing I've noticed is that the flick on a forehand is the critical part with the groove...you flick it with extra power, and it will verily jump out of your hand and will dependibly fade left than flip over right at the end.

Whomever said the rating on this disc is inaccurate, I dissagree. I think it's rated right on. 13 speed, 6 glide, -2 high speed turn and 2 low speed turn... is right on. This disc is highly reliable for me.

Latest posts