• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
admittedly i'm an idiot, but i use my groove for headwind drives with moderate success.

also toss it on the occasional hyzer flip, but i know i don't have enough arm to use it properly.

I use my heavier groove in windy conditions. Grooves can cut through headwinds fairly well in my experience.

Here's the grip I use for throwing a Groove fh. Meant to post these a couple of days ago, never got around to it.

I think someone referred to this as a "pinch grip." It might be difficult to tell, but my fingers are flush against the inside rim, and most of the snap comes from the side of my middle finger and the "pinching" of my forefinger and thumb. A lot of force is generated on the base of my forefinger, where the disc's heavy bead pushes off.

I throw it almost like I would sidearm a baseball.

Attachments

• 100_9500.jpg
    100_9500.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_9503.jpg
    100_9503.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 10
That was the key that got me from only throwing FH when I had to, to throwing it whenever I get a chance for that sweet line; just throw it like a baseball. Before that, I think I tried too hard and it would turn and burn, so I would compensate with too much hyzer. Once I just relaxed, it was easy.

Still not sure what grip I prefer. Right now it is whatever feels right.

I can see the Groove going OOP when the Katanas are released across all plastics. I think its a failed concept. Sure it can be thrown decently, but it does nothing that something else in Innova's lineup can't do better.

Yet they are selling TONS of them. I see so many people throwing grooves. Even if they discontinue it, they have paid for their tooling 1000's of times over. I wouldnt say that is a fail concept.

Yet they are selling TONS of them. I see so many people throwing grooves. Even if they discontinue it, they have paid for their tooling 1000's of times over. I wouldnt say that is a fail concept.

I'm just talking in terms of its flight character. Honestly, Innova could put out just about anything and print "speed 13" on it and sell tons. The Groove is slower than the Boss/Katana, it doesn't glide as well, and it is squirrelier in flight and more inconsistent disc to disc than just about any other fast driver. The Katana has almost the same flight #'s, so if it were not a failed concept the Katana would not even exist.

I'm not a big fan but I keep one in my bag for those 150' quick hook shots. That is the only time I use it though. Of course throwing with a side arm I don't get a lot of snap on it.

I'm just talking in terms of its flight character. Honestly, Innova could put out just about anything and print "speed 13" on it and sell tons. The Groove is slower than the Boss/Katana, it doesn't glide as well, and it is squirrelier in flight and more inconsistent disc to disc than just about any other fast driver. The Katana has almost the same flight #'s, so if it were not a failed concept the Katana would not even exist.

I disagree. I think it comes out of the hand faster than the Katana and is much less squirrelly. The Katana is the most squirrelly thing I've ever thrown...but when thrown right...wow! The groove is MUCH more stable to the Katana. I think it is a bit of a failed concept only because it isn't all that different from the Boss. It's a lot different from the Katana. But that Katana is going to teach me to get rid of my OAT yet. It won't tolerate any of it.

I disagree. I think it comes out of the hand faster than the Katana and is much less squirrelly. The Katana is the most squirrelly thing I've ever thrown...but when thrown right...wow! The groove is MUCH more stable to the Katana. I think it is a bit of a failed concept only because it isn't all that different from the Boss. It's a lot different from the Katana. But that Katana is going to teach me to get rid of my OAT yet. It won't tolerate any of it.

I'm not sure how anybody can compare a boss to a groove. Maybe when they are new, but once the get beat at all, the groove flips over super fast to the point where if you throw it about 50% with super hyzer angle, it'll flip all the way over and fade back at the very end maybe. The boss would never do that. At least that's how it works for my forehand shot.
If your groove is the same as your boss, hit more trees.

I think the Katana is supposed to be doing what the Groove was supposed to do. My Groove (first-run), however, and my Katana, are pretty much doing the same thing.

I liked the Groove...lots didn't though.

I got lucky I guess, because the 2 FR Champ Katanas I got are domey and somewhat stable. I can throw them fairly flat and they flip a little and come back. I know from reading a lot of feedback on them that mine are more stable than most. I think when they finally run these in regular champ, the domey and the stiffer ones will be fairly stable (like the Groove was supposed to be I guess) and the flat/gummy ones will be flippy. That's how the Champ Destroyers/most fast Innova drivers usually turn out.

I got lucky I guess, because the 2 FR Champ Katanas I got are domey and somewhat stable. I can throw them fairly flat and they flip a little and come back. I know from reading a lot of feedback on them that mine are more stable than most. I think when they finally run these in regular champ, the domey and the stiffer ones will be fairly stable (like the Groove was supposed to be I guess) and the flat/gummy ones will be flippy. That's how the Champ Destroyers/most fast Innova drivers usually turn out.

I think you're right. The plastics make a huge difference in these speed 13 drivers. The difference between and R-pro and a champ boss is one example. I bet the difference between my pro katana and your star one is similar. Naturally, my groove is heavy champion and my katana is 166g pro, thus the huge difference I see.

I have used a groove for 3 rounds now and right now I like it for forehand. I don't have the arm for it BH but I can get a nice s curve out of it FH with a little anny

My Groove didn't get understable until I knocked it around a little. The moment it finally got flippy it took a unplanned anhyzer into the middle of a pond. I don't think I'll buy one again, but I wouldn't suggest anyone stay away from it. Each persons grip is unique and the Groove may fit it perfectly.

It works well as an overhand disc and after a round the other day I was throwing all of my drivers and launched it about 375 in a dead straight line across the field and kept wondering why I don't throw it more often.

Issues lately with a C Groove

Before the Winter came I could bomb my Groove over 300+ ft, but recently since spring came I cant throw it to save my life. But all of the sudden I throw my C Boss, which I couldnt throw at all before, and throw it like I was with my Groove.

When I throw my groove it OAT's and Just dives down to the right after about 100 ft. I am using the same form I was before and I cant find anything wrong.

Well the Groove is a less stable disc than the Boss. Once all the snow melted here in Iowa and I could get my footing back on run ups and the tee pad I could throw more overstable discs and longer.

Your problem is you are throwing the groove, one of the most inconsistent discs on the market. It sounds like you just got better.

Latest posts