• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fun Farm or Indian Spring fly18 in s Indiana?

discNDav

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I'm driving thru southern Indiana soon and have time for only one of these, which course is better? Fun Farm near Louisville,KY or the Fly18 at Trafagler,IN (near Indy)? Or is there something else I don't know about to consider (on a weekday)?

If you're down in Southern Indiana, Old English is rated very highly, and near there is a really nice course at Patoka Lake. Fun Farm is definitely a fun course, much better than Indian Springs so if it is between those two it's an easy decision. Charlie Vettiner is better than either of those though, so if you can make it down there it's worth it.

Old English has a $20 greens and cart rental fee (mandatory). I'd suggest Vettiner. I can even take you on a guided tour, if need be! ;)

Mash, you think CV is better than the FF? It's probably more technical...I guess because it's my home course, I overlook a lot of it's positives...

I hope to play Charlie Vettiner, Holler in the Hills and Freeman Pk the day before my trip thru Indiana.

Freeman Park was a course I really liked in years gone by. Lately, it's been getting kind of thrashed on this site. A friend of mine (hognosesucker) has said that Patoka Lake did not live up to his expectations. The one thing Mash will be sure to let you know; is if there is tall grass within miles. :)

Patoka is a nice course imo. It's technical but it will make you work for birdies. The rough is exactly that...rough, but it's in the middle of Hoosier National Forest, so what do you expect?

If you truly want to play a hidden gem in southern Indiana look up Buffalo Trace Park. Well worth it you would not be sorry and I will be available to guide if needed. Ranks right up with the best in Louisville and by far in Southern Indiana not that Patoka and others mentioned aren't nice as well,Old English is just wide open grip and rip not much technicality to it whatsoever just plan on icing your arm down a day or two after because its longer then anything else.

Charlie Vettner is perhaps the best in the Louisville area.

I concur Charlie Vettiner is the best in the Louisville area . . . or Holler in the Hills if you can hook up at the private course about 60 minutes south of Louisville.

I havn't played The Fun Farm or Indian Springs yet but plan on it. I have played Buffalo Trace and enjoyed it. What days will you be in S. Indiana and Louisville?

I concur Charlie Vettiner is the best in the Louisville area . . . or Holler in the Hills if you can hook up at the private course about 60 minutes south of Louisville.

I did enjoy Fun Farm but not as much as Charlie Vettiner and I am sure Holler in the Hills iis more my type of course. I did play Fun Farm after some tornadic activity had a bunch of branches and stuff down though.

Oh yeah and I did just quote myself!

^^^^Nevermind....just figured out that though Buffalo Trace was on a trip schedule; we didn't make it there. Resume discussion....:)

Buffalo Trace is not a bad course, but it's not as good a course as most of the others mentioned here.

I never heard of Buffalo Trace until this thread, I will now consider it, thanks DGCR!

Buffalo Trace is not a bad course, but it's not as good a course as most of the others mentioned here.

Just curious--what makes you say this?

If CV was a 4*, BT would be a 3.5*. There really isn't that much difference. A few longer/non-deuce holes and BT trace IS Vettiner.

Just curious--what makes you say this?

If CV was a 4*, BT would be a 3.5*. There really isn't that much difference. A few longer/non-deuce holes and BT trace IS Vettiner.

Exactly, it's not a bad course but I would play CV, Fun Farm or Patoka Lake ahead of it.

As I said before, maybe it's because CV is close that I overlook it. I get kinda tired of it sometimes. There are deuce holes and then there are holes that are 3-4 ish (16, 18). Kinda routine, whereas almost all of the holes are birdie-able at BT, thus providing more of a challenge. Maybe it's just the way I view it. Dunno.

Latest posts