• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

Strolling to the first tee at Vallarta on 5-26-13 and one of my partners looks up and says," Hey....a rainbow."

Me and the other guy look up at where he's pointing and he's pointing up at the sun. Sure enough there's a rainbow, but its not an arch or directly opposite the sun...its a circle shaped rainbow around the sun and there's not one but two.

Its a double Sundog in May at mid latitudes at quarter after 12 noon.

Sundogs are fairly common in the mountains and at the highest latitudes of the Artic and Antarctic, but the only other times I've seen a Sundog in Wisconsin is near dawn on very cold and humid January mornings.

Damn I wish I had been there to see that.

A trio came tearing through Mt. Crest Park with not discs and bags but baseball bats and balls. They were teeing off by hitting the baseballs out of the air after they tossed them up. Then when the got close to the basket they would place the ball into the end of the bat in a divot there and throw the friggin' bat and all at the basket.

Typically anywhere that a car would be should be considered OB (roads , parking lots , camp sites , etc)

This car in question was in an older post, and was burned out, inside the circle by the basket.

The competition manual lists vehicles as casual obstacles...so, you can take up to, what, 5 meters relief behind the lie, on the line of play, if you can't take a stance at your lie.

About a week and a half ago, #10 teepad @ "The Scrapyard," there were about a dozen craw fish laying scatterd all over the pad. Cooked. Covered in flies. Reeking. Like a freshwater shellfish crime scene.

I generally adhere to the "leave the course better than you find it," but I couldn't bring myself to pick these up bare handed. Couldn't handle the smell long enough to take a pic.

1. Valmont in Boulder is built on the site of an old car salvage lot. Lots of weird auto parts turn up out of the dirt after rain or snow. I found an old car speaker and the stereo console from an old Plymouth valiant. The stereo wasn't a "proper" brand like JVC or Sony, but was branded "Valiant" to match the car. I swear that I had walked past that spot before, but not noticed this weird find. There is a "shrine" full of weird pieces in the corner of the park, by hole 15. Mile high disc golf has some photos posted.

2. Last week we were wrapping up a round, and ran across a prairie dog INSIDE the fence, where they are absolutely forbidden, lest they dig up the athletic field. It took about 5 checkers to round him up, and show him out the gate. Occasionally he would splay himself flat, as if he were trying to dodge a hawk or something. We didn't touch him, as these guys are vectors for the plague, but we might have been able to grab him when he flattened out. He made it back to the colony, and we let him be. I hope he doesn't convince his buddies to dig new tunnels under the fence, and invade the casually manicured lawns.

I came up to a ~220ft hole that has a drainage ditch between the basket and pad. Directly in my path there was a man shearing his dog and there was white fur everywhere.

Saw a park ranger about to get it on with a 16-18 year old girl at the park. He told me they were there to check out disc golf for a paper she had.....I was the only person there playing!!

My home course is close by the municipal lockup, and somebody had left a copy of their judgment against them, along with copies of a restraining order at tee 9. Not torn up or thrown to the winds, but neatly collated and organized, placed gently under a rock as if it were waiting on a desk in an office. It stayed there for about a week, and I jokingly asked every DGer I played with if they had lost their paperwork. It rained, and someone finally cleaned it up. I'm surprised because there are enough fastidious locals to keep the course picked over pretty well, but these "important" papers stayed out there for so long. Hmmmm...

My home course is close by the municipal lockup, and somebody had left a copy of their judgment against them, along with copies of a restraining order at tee 9. Not torn up or thrown to the winds, but neatly collated and organized, placed gently under a rock as if it were waiting on a desk in an office. It stayed there for about a week, and I jokingly asked every DGer I played with if they had lost their paperwork. It rained, and someone finally cleaned it up. I'm surprised because there are enough fastidious locals to keep the course picked over pretty well, but these "important" papers stayed out there for so long. Hmmmm...

Yeah I saw that pile out there also. I had a good chuckle over it!:eek:

I've been using my Mountain Unicycle as a Disc Golf cart

His friend brought a unicycle and was riding that between holes.
I don't see anything wrong with that as long as his tire was fat, the course was dry, and he played with pace. Proper etiquette goes a long way in my book.

it was me
If your serious, I do this too. See my photo album.

Strangest shot I've ever had: I was putting with a DX Dart, the shot came in low, hit the basket... and squeezed cleanly through. It severely warped the disc, but the stunned reactions were well worth it.

hmmm...

did one today at a local pitch and putt.

shanked my opto core, spent 10 minutes looking for the damn thing. someone came and helped me out, said "ummm, look above you." it was wedged perfectly in a forked tree not five feet off the path: just like a freeze-frame taken in mid flight, still parallel to the ground and everything.

saved me a stroke or two, that tree did.

Whoops, too late to edit.

at oakwood here in MN, there's a rather large headless doll nailed to a tree about 15 feet up.

think it's on hole 7 or 8. i'll try to get a picture.

Mine would have to be the guy that was using a golf cart at the local park (Ellison). He was driving the thing around, music blaring.. it was just kind of odd.

Another one that comes to mind, a guy at Codorus who claimed to have been looking for the first tee for over an hour. There were a lot of disc golfers out that day and my friend and I managed to find it without a problem. I guess he could have tried asking someone.. :)

hahaha

One time I was at the course with my boi and his young baby. We were in the middle of the course far from any path, and all of a sudden this ogre lookin dude came poppin out the woods (Where he came from I have no idea). But he busted out a zip-lock bag with some sketchy, half eatin crackers and said, "BABY WANT COOKIE?!". Lol. Needless to say I had to restrain my friend from freakin out on this guy. He ended up just saying, "Uh no, he's good". lolol

Last edited:
The strangest round I've experienced at Brakewell Steel in Warwick was after the hurricane. There were trees down all over, some of the layouts were substantially effected by it, the roof on the pavilion had broken off and fell to the ground, and everything was a complete wreck. But it was nice to have it change up a bit after playing it so much.

About a 100 pound pig that came out of the woods and was following people around like a dog. Kept trying to sniff around in peoples bags when they would set them down.

a few years back i was playing a pitch and putt course in arcadia, ok, i mean thick nasty jumanji thick tiny petite fairways, we had played probably 30 holes at this point when suddenly a fat clumsy 20 lb, no joke, white bunny runs into the fairway in front of us- we all immediately dropped our bags and took chase! this thing mustve been a local pet that hat gotten loose and ran into the local woods. none of us actually caught the thing but we played cat and mouse with the fuzzy guy for probably 20 minutes all over the 2 courses! it was extremely fun. the next day we stumbled upon a fairway full of fuzzy white and pink bloody guts and remains of memories of our fur ball tag-mate. coyotes need to eat too i guess.

Latest posts