• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

Why isn't the answer always, guys BBQing in a basket? What beats that? If seen guys kicking soccer balls into baskets, I've seen every kind of social behavior - some that should only happen in your home, drinking and smoking (okay that was at tournaments) dancing, picnicking, water sports, dog everything, snakes, alligators, coyotes, deer, armadillos, ball golfers playing through, BMX bike cross through the course, you name it. Nothing beats the guys who really truly think that the parks department put that thing there to hang chicken from. None of them ever wonders why they made the basket with holes too big to hold charcoal.

I traveled out to Jackson, MS for a Southern Nationals team competition at Rez DGC this weekend. On day one of the event I noticed an old fashion, everyone up to their chest in water, baptism being held in the murky waters between hole 17 and the parking lot. After a quick google search, I am now aware that there are an estimated 32,000-38,000 of them, alligators not baptists, in or around the Ross Barnett Reservoir. Now that's what I call faith.

The only "Beware of Alligators" sign that I have seen on a Disc Golf courses was hole 18 at Lake Lincoln state park in Wesson Mississippi. I have never really thought much about alligators being in Mississippi. I guess they have enough make them get warning signs.

Came upon a guy near a tee pad with 6 cats, 5 in one big cage and one in it's own cage. He explained that the isolated one did not play well with the others, so she got her own cage.

He was smoking a pipe and reading a novel.

Was playing Hornings Hideout not too long ago with TheLastDJ and there happened to be a wedding going on at the time. I guess one of the guys from the wedding party thought enough in advance to bring some discs, but not enough to bring any clothes for it. So, he just played a round in a tuxedo, suit pants, and dress shoes. If you haven't played Hornings, it's very wooded and rather steep in some places. But hey, props for him being that dedicated.

"MY WIFE!"

The only "Beware of Alligators" sign that I have seen on a Disc Golf courses was hole 18 at Lake Lincoln state park in Wesson Mississippi. I have never really thought much about alligators being in Mississippi. I guess they have enough make them get warning signs.

Bulldog Bayou in Gautier MS also has a B of A sign on the four holes around the small lake. We've seen a 4-5 footer swimming around in there.

Have I mentioned the guy that walks around Creekside in Archdale, NC, with a parrot? Picture Benjamin Franklin as a Jimmy Buffet fan, walking around with a gray parrot perched on his arm. It's just WTF enough to make you pause and process the information before you throw, lest you butcher your shot.

I played a B-Tier this past weekend and while walking down the fairway in round 2 my buddy Zach was explaining how he and his friend shout out "Skip" when someone throws a disc off line that obviously has no chance of skipping or getting back toward the target. He said if the timing is right, it's excellent comic relief. Shortly after that he walks up to his 30 footer and jams it dead center - pole and out. I immediately thought about saying "skip" but couldn't bring myself to do it. After he calmed down a bit I told him on the next tee that I wanted to and he said I totally should have and he would of lost it. The 5 of us on the card replayed the moment and imagined me saying Skip when his putter splashed out and all got a good laugh.

Day 2 of same tourney. It turns out the 4 of us who were playing together during the previous days discussion were playing together again (top card MPO woot woot). We have this 200 foot water carry hole. Nothing in the way and not a lot of wind. OB about 20 or so feet behind the basket, but overall a must 2. I step up with my wizard and it just slides right out of my hand about 100 feet into the middle of the lake. As it's sinking, my buddy Bryan yells, "skip". This was like 3/4 through the 3rd round of a B Tier and I was battling for the win, but it was HILARIOUS. When I turned around he said "I had to man" and I laughed my ass off and told him I agree, it was too perfect.

I did go on to win the tourney by 1 stroke. :)

The weirdest thing I've run into was a guy who approached a friend and I at Seymour Smith a couple months ago. He was shirtless, wearing what I can only describe as a man-skirt made out of a bed sheet, and was wearing one of those camelback hydration backpacks. He ran up to us asking if we'd seen anybody using some discs and a cell phone, then proceeded to tell us how somebody stole all his discs, his car keys, his cell phone, and a substance that's not exactly legal in Nebraska (and apparently he had a lot of it). He started a conversation with my friend about the military when he noticed him wearing a National Guard t-shirt, claimed he was a Marine, and said that he had his weapon and ammo that he was issued in his backpack. It was quite obvious that he was never in the military. I told him that it was nice talking to him but we needed to get going because my wife was waiting for us, at which point he decided that he wanted to come with us and be introduced to my wife. On the way back to the parking lot he decided to take a moment to walk over to the softball fields and heckle everybody playing softball, which gave us a chance to haul ass to the car and leave. I don't know what the guy was high on, but whatever it was, it was clearly a lot stronger than anything he claimed was stolen from him.

Sex on the course, x2
Stolen van crashed on the course
Car driven to a secluded area and burned

And the latest for Central Park............. a "photo shoot"

picture.php

The Drunk Goose In New Orleans

Over the Summer I played Lafrenierre park a lot just outside New Orleans. I was playing a round and I saw two guys chilling under a pavilion with a white goose. I was too intrigued not to go over and say hey. When I got close they were pouring the Goose a Blue Ribbon into one of their upside down discs on the ground. They told me the Goose just started following them from hole to hole and even helped them find their discs. They gave him beer for a reward which he loved. Definitely the weirdest thing I've seen on the course but def super funny too.

The funniest might be this guy who looked to be about in his 50's and stoned and drunk out of his ever loving mind at a tournament I played in Florida. He was so wasted at the end of the round about 6 people returned discs to him that he lost. I found two of his discs and he said to me "I don't even remember throwing those!" We all tried to talk him out of driving home that day, hopefully one of his buddies that was significantly less stoned gave him a ride that day.

Over the Summer I played Lafrenierre park a lot just outside New Orleans. I was playing a round and I saw two guys chilling under a pavilion with a white goose. I was too intrigued not to go over and say hey. When I got close they were pouring the Goose a Blue Ribbon into one of their upside down discs on the ground. They told me the Goose just started following them from hole to hole and even helped them find their discs. They gave him beer for a reward which he loved. Definitely the weirdest thing I've seen on the course but def super funny too.

The funniest might be this guy who looked to be about in his 50's and stoned and drunk out of his ever loving mind at a tournament I played in Florida. He was so wasted at the end of the round about 6 people returned discs to him that he lost. I found two of his discs and he said to me "I don't even remember throwing those!" We all tried to talk him out of driving home that day, hopefully one of his buddies that was significantly less stoned gave him a ride that day.

Well.......I guess we are lucky that some 8 year old child did not start following these jack wagons, huh?

So does this happen to anybody else? I've noticed that lately I seem to gather way more spectator attention than I used to. Especially people stop driving to watch me throw, that's getting to be about a once a round occurrence. I don't know if it's because I'm throwing a lot farther than people expect or I'm just funnier looking than I used to be or what. I'm tickling just over 400' on a great rip so it's not like I'm Eagle McGurthie over here. It's just weird that it's happening more frequently since DG is getting fairly known among the general public around here. I also had a guy jogging alongside the hole stop running to shout at me how awesome my roller was.

Wirdest thing was also most annoying, somebody training a hunting dog about 200-250 feet away and his dog takes off after my disc in 2004 and catches it in mid flight. DX Valkyrie is all chewed up, I had to the next year get a New Valkyrie and the Champion Valkyrie was out at the time, the JK 5x model. First Premium disc I owned, then just got more.

So does this happen to anybody else? I've noticed that lately I seem to gather way more spectator attention than I used to. Especially people stop driving to watch me throw, that's getting to be about a once a round occurrence. I don't know if it's because I'm throwing a lot farther than people expect or I'm just funnier looking than I used to be or what. I'm tickling just over 400' on a great rip so it's not like I'm Eagle McGurthie over here. It's just weird that it's happening more frequently since DG is getting fairly known among the general public around here. I also had a guy jogging alongside the hole stop running to shout at me how awesome my roller was.

I remember getting some on holes that were tree heavy but not forests. I would do shots that would weave in and out of the trees and others would just stop playing to watch.

Now with the odd backpack I am using I get people staring at my bag, it is a Vertex Angler Backpack I modified for use as a disc golf backpack, I wanted a seat on a bag but I was not going to pay for a Gorilla Boy Simian and the knock off is too expensive to really make me want to try it, maybe if the Knock off was in the $120-$130 range then I might but they are $160. I was looking for a X style folding stool that was tall enough to use with a backpack, was going to get the Superhero Pack H2O model to use with the chair but I could not find a Stool Tall eoungh. Then came across what I am using now.

I remember getting some on holes that were tree heavy but not forests. I would do shots that would weave in and out of the trees and others would just stop playing to watch.

Now with the odd backpack I am using I get people staring at my bag, it is a Vertex Angler Backpack I modified for use as a disc golf backpack, I wanted a seat on a bag but I was not going to pay for a Gorilla Boy Simian and the knock off is too expensive to really make me want to try it, maybe if the Knock off was in the $120-$130 range then I might but they are $160. I was looking for a X style folding stool that was tall enough to use with a backpack, was going to get the Superhero Pack H2O model to use with the chair but I could not find a Stool Tall eoungh. Then came across what I am using now.

you are oddly specific

Latest posts