• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FW Driver that can be used as a Dist. Driver?

How long are you going to be, if its going to be a year+ I would recommend a star/champ plastic disc, which limits your options on the control end of the aspect. A Stalker/Tracker/TL/XL all make decent premium plastic control drivers. The TL/XL being more versatile. And as far as distance is concerned its rare for me to need something longer than an XL. They are about 15% shorter than my SOLF's when I have room to throw them higher.

Playing so long with 1 disc will create great disc familiarity, but assuming you are coming back by the time you are back to throwing more than 2, the one you have been throwing will not fly like the new ones you could buy.
I would pick something you would consider adding to your bag if you were throwing more again.

Good luck.

Jeronimo said:
Yehosha said:
Sounds likes like it's time to get a new wife.

Haha. Very funny. My wife is a *little* more important than a bunch of $10 plastic. Plus, there's no course within a 3 hr drive to where we're living. And it's not like I can't buy more when I get there.

Speaking of that, I think since Discmania is readily available in Europe, I think I'll plan to buy a S-PD when I get over there, for wind fighting, hyzer bombs, etc.

So I need a fairly understable fairway driver that'll turnover when I get on in. So SEX is out, I can't turn those things at all. And I do want a durable plastic, as I'll be over there for 2 years. I've thrown a JLS a couple times, and like how straight it is flipped up from a hyzer. And if I really power it up it'll have a nice little tight S flight. Something like that.

Right now I'm leaning towards:

ESP XL
Star Leo
Sirius JLS
Timberwolf

Any experts on these molds? Do the XL and Leo have any LSS at all (never thrown them)? What is the glide like on the Timberwolf? Is it like the Eagle, or glidier?

Okay, so I checked out Joe's flight chart a bit more:

I've nixed the Leo, because it doesn't seem to have enough LSS (unless Star plastic adds more fade).

What about the Polaris LS? It's HSS -2 LSS 2. Is it too slow/short? Has anyone thrown it in Sirius plastic yet? Looks like the JLS is about the same stability.

Also, is the Timberwolf really a HSS of -0.5? I'm throwing teebirds around 350, can get a MOLF out to 380, and a Katana out to around 400' (when it flies right!).

Polaris LS will be shorter than the JLS and a lot flippier. I also like the JLS.

My vote is XL or JLS. I think Frank_D said that the TWolf acts like a beat Eagle-X. It could be another option.

now for a personal question: why the hell are you moving to Scotland?

Banzai said:
Plus, my wife won't let me take my plastic. :(
ship all your plastic over ahead of you....problem solved?
or sack up and TELL her you are bringing your discs

Jesse B 707 said:
Banzai said:
Plus, my wife won't let me take my plastic. :(
ship all your plastic over ahead of you....problem solved?
or sack up and TELL her you are bringing your discs

It'd be less expensive to buy all new plastic over there than to ship it (seriously, it's freaking expensive). I'm only letting my kid bring 1 box of toys; kind of crappy to then go and pack 15 discs to bring. I'm not complaining, I actually agreed with my wife on this one.

Oh, and I already "sacked up" and TOLD my pregnant wife that we're moving to Scotland, and away from her family. She wasn't exactly pleased about that. One thing you learn after 8 years of marriage: *pick your battles*.

keltik said:
now for a personal question: why the hell are you moving to Scotland?

I got a research postdoc over there. Yep, they're paying me for two years to go and think about philosophy. Pretty sweet deal.

You can get L64 and DMania over there.

Get a TWolf, try to sand off the flashing, stick it in the fridge in a bowl of water, pull it out, enjoy the grip, then slam it on a few walls, then play some golf. If you think the flight sucks and it will not work in cold, wet, rocky Scotland, I'll give you $15 to send it to me.

PS- I throw a bright blue XL for fall leaves when not huking the TW, not the same but neither is my footing that time of year

Banzai said:
Right now I'm leaning towards:

ESP XL
Star Leo
Sirius JLS
Timberwolf

Any experts on these molds? Do the XL and Leo have any LSS at all (never thrown them)? What is the glide like on the Timberwolf? Is it like the Eagle, or glidier?

Leo in 175 Star has and retains more fade than other Leos. Not terribly much though. JLS doesn't agree with me and for me it's flippy in every plastic max weight. Timberwolf so far is the longest fairway driver thanks to the huge glide but it's not wind resistant for the same reason and I gather that's a big no no in Scotland. Have you tried lighter Eagle Xs? SEX 166 does flip at your power a little and controllably and is long, durable and versatile enough and it does fly differently than a max weight. For your power a soft blend P PD won't last in the long term. An S PD fades hard and you need to release it anny to go right so it's not that versatile because you need to rip it to stay right for long. So a clear champy P PD would be the best bet at 166-170.

Aight. Just bought a Timberwolf. Gonna give it a try. I read through this thread: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14609&st=0&sk=t&sd=a and it sounds like exactly what I want. Especially in the cold.

If it turns out not to be what I want, I may just grab an ESP XL, or wait and get a River when I'm over there. So the bag will be:

S PD
Timberwolf
Firm Ridge

Pick up a DX Roc, and that's a solid bag. Thanks DGR, you all are awesome.

CHAMPION LEOPARD

It will have will have much more LSS than you think, and although slow the Leo loves to glide. In this plastic is just so consistent.

Well, that Timberwolf is not what I had hoped. It doesn't really fly like a beat Eagle-X. It flies more like a *new* DX Eagle-X for me. I got maybe -1 HSS at full power on one throw. Every other time it was more like -0.5 HSS or even 0 HSS for more controlled 80% shots. Definitely more stable than I want.

Time to try something else. I'm keeping tabs on the Latitude River reviews coming in. Do people recommend Champ or Star Leos?

I am loving the QOLS right now. It's smaller rimmed than most distance drivers and will easily reach out just as far. I don't have a "big arm" yet and this disc helps me mask that. I even use it in the wind with great success.

Not a fairway driver but it powers down very well... the P-PD. Nasty kinds of long when you crank on it too.

Steve said:
I am loving the QOLS right now. It's smaller rimmed than most distance drivers and will easily reach out just as far. I don't have a "big arm" yet and this disc helps me mask that. I even use it in the wind with great success.

I threw the SOLS and MOLS for a long time before I switched to assassins. I know that mold pretty well, just not in Q plastic. I guess I'm looking for a slower version of that disc. Or something like a Cheetah in premium plastic! I'm thinking the River is just the ticket, but I need to throw it more before it's a definite.

NoLifeLeft said:
Not a fairway driver but it powers down very well... the P-PD. Nasty kinds of long when you crank on it too.
Yeah, I'm getting one of those too. :)