• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway SS like WAY Super Stupid Silly Soft

omni

Do you guys approach with SS Gateway putters? I was practicing and the plastic got beatup just in the backyard. I have 1 each of their putters all in SS, I'm thinking that was a mistake. What do you use SS and SSS for, just 30' putting?

Does it get tougher at S and M? I've had a KC Pro Aviar 11x for years now and it is less beat than one of the softer SS Gateway's I have in 1 week of the backyard (Baby Blue Magic). Maybe the better question is what Gateway firmness is closest to a KC Pro Aviar?

Thanks, O

Last edited:
I have a couple of SSS Wizards that I use for a lot of shots within 100'. They seem to have toughened up quite a bit over the last year, as they don't ding or get chipped anymore, but have still remained flexible.

I have a couple of SSS Wizards that I use for a lot of shots within 100'. They seem to have toughened up quite a bit over the last year, as they don't ding or get chipped anymore, but have still remained flexible.
SS will probably be perfect here in winter, but on a warm day I was going: whaaat!!! Softer than a soft banger, softer than JK aviar, softer than soft magnet. No complaints on flight, the magic is just magic for me. Actually I give the Magic high praise, it is just what I was looking for...something about how the rim has 2 planes (if that makes any sense).

Last edited:
I've used SS and SSS Gateway putters to drive and approach with for over a year and haven't had any serious durability issues. Really forceful tree hits can ding the sides up, but just melt it back together with a lighter and you're good to go in my experience.

SS get chunks taken out of them much more than SSS. I also have a 150 S that's not as brittle as my old SS.

It depends on the run. I just bought some new SSS Wizards that are about like my old S Wizard. I have some slightly new SS Wizards that are also close to the old S. You have to put them in your hand and check them out. The names almost are meaningless.

wait...Gateway made another putter that doesn't feel like it says it should? :confused:

i, for one, am shocked and appalled. Gateway will most certainly getting an angry e-mail from me :|

It really depends on the run and the color, and the mood the person was in that mixed the plastics that day. I have some SSS that are extremely durable, they've taken some really hard tree hits without any damage. A beat up wizard is a beautiful thing though, I have an S that's been in my bag for a year, it's pretty trashed at this point and is an awesome turnover putter for drives and approaches.

Do you guys approach with SS Gateway putters? I was practicing and the plastic got beatup just in the backyard. I have 1 each of their putters all in SS, I'm thinking that was a mistake. What do you use SS and SSS for, just 30' putting?

Does it get tougher at S and M? I've had a KC Pro Aviar 11x for years now and it is less beat than one of the softer SS Gateway's I have in 1 week of the backyard (Baby Blue Magic). Maybe the better question is what Gateway firmness is closest to a KC Pro Aviar?

Thanks, O

Medium would be the closest to KC Pro Avair.

Mediums are kinda like KC aviars but they never really get any softer. An older KC will have a little bit of flex to it, from what I've seen. The mediums are like brick most of the time. I would recommend a Soft as they are quite firm when new but break in to a nice happy medium. But I would recommend buying them in person or from someone who has fondled enough Gateway plastic to know the difference between different runs.

I use a SS Voodoo for all putting and approach shots and it is starting to show some good wear, but that is after heavy use. No real change in flight pattern though. I have 2 others waiting to back it up though.

I have a rather large collection of Wizards in just about every style. You would be hard pressed to find two of them that are the same. It makes it really easy to get "your" putter. You just really need to buy them in person so you can know what you are getting.

With that said, I use my Wizard for everything. I really enjoy thumber shots with it in the fall. The thing slides up under the basket like a champ. They get beat up, but I have not seen any real difference in flight.

You really have to feel them and go by that...I have a S warlock, regular Warlock, SSS voodoo, and soft wizard. The S warlock is more gummy and a little more flexible than the regular one. The SSS voodoo is really tacky and even a little more flexible. The soft wizard is hard as a rock, like a stiff kc pro or something. Great for driving though. Still havent found the perfect wizard.

i have not thrown the sss but i am trying a blowfly now which is prob similar, but prob even softer. hit some trees pretty hard but didn't leave much of a ding at all on the disc. blowflys seem durable.

You might want to try their 'eraser' plastic. I saw bikinjack's and decided I needed one. Just ordered a couple from Marshall Street. Great grip and feel. Buy a couple and you should be able to use them for different shots or seasons.

The plastic is so inconsistent, had a ss wiz that was way softer than my SSS magic... makes no sense.

The M/S/SS/SSS is not a reference to how floppy the disc is supposed to be. It's the mixture of materials used to produce each line.

I kind of like that Gateway offers putter molds in four mixes with many choices of flexibilities amongst them. It allows you to find "your" putter. If you don't like any of those, there are more plastics available. I imagine it's a nightmare for retailers to carry them though.

Thanks all for the responses.

TB888: My issue is the durability of the plastic...not the floppiness level, flight path, etc. I don't really care if they all feel "different" like some folks mentioned (and I'm fine with flight path and flexibility). I just want it to not degrade in my hands when I look at it.

I'll report back that I just got a used medium wizard and that is holding up well for driving/approaching. Thanks to the person who suggested that.

Last edited:

Latest posts