• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Warlock vs Wizard

KanyeKnievel

Par Member
I want a new putter, I did like the Voodoo, and I thought I would like the softness of it but it seems to be screwing up my putting. I like it a lot, but the softness seems to throw off my puts and it seems to have fade on it and just think that I need a new putter to try and see how it works for me.

Basically for me, once you go getway, thers no other way.

So I want a gateway putter and I don't know what to choose, Warlock or Wizard.

Can someone tell me their preference, and why. And the differences and similarites of the warlock and wizard? Thanks!

warlock is a wizard without a bead....at least i think...it is...anyways i like SSS wizards for what it is worth...mine are stiff...just chalky feeling

This. If you dont like how soft it is. Get one in firmer plastic.

I third this. But if you want less fade might try a Magic. It is straight to slightly understable out of the box & beats into a right turner. But if you're talking inside the circle, I would think most putters should be somewhat similar as far as flight goes

I like the Warlock for approaches and long putts, Wizards for driving putters.
Voodoo is my favorite for a close putter.
Warlock has the same flight (stability) as the wizard without the bead. Voodoo has a small bead.
Warlock turns over easier than the Wizard though. Voodoo has slightly more turn and less fade than the wizard.
Magic is an understable putter with no bead, not a great driving putter.

Last edited:
the Voodoo is like a beat in Wizard. (that is according to gateway itself)
Wizard has a larger bead.

Yes, they have called the VooDoo a beat in Wizard, and they also label their Warlock as a beadless Wizard. My best comparison would be the Warlock is a standard aviar and the Wizard is a KC Aviar.

"The Gateway Warlock is the same disc as the Wizard but without the signature bead. As a result, the Warlock is dead-straight stable out of the box and behaves like a broken-in Wizard, and has a later low-speed fade when thrown hard. A great putter to complement your Wizard."

"The Voodoo is Gateways Newest, fastest and accurate Putters. It is a great lay-up disc, straight line putter. Feels very comfortable in your hand. Acts like a broken in Wizard. "

-From Gateway site. Both are 'broken in' Wizards apparently. I use a Wizard for 95% of all putting. And a lighter Warlock for really longer putts where I don't want it to fade early on me.

Last edited:
I want a new putter, I did like the Voodoo, and I thought I would like the softness of it but it seems to be screwing up my putting. I like it a lot, but the softness seems to throw off my puts and it seems to have fade on it and just think that I need a new putter to try and see how it works for me.

Basically for me, once you go gateway, there's no other way.

So I want a gateway putter and I don't know what to choose, Warlock or Wizard.

Can someone tell me their preference, and why. And the differences and similarites of the warlock and wizard? Thanks!

any putter will have fade on it from within the circle. How is the softness screwing up your putts? Maybe you have a super stupid soft?

I switched from the warlock to the wizard because i turned the warlock over a little too easy mostly OAT/ form issues but still both are great discs, and for inside the circle its all what feels good and you are comfortable with, but like others said if its the softness that is bothering you try a firmer one.

just buy a magic.

either way, find an excuse to come to st. louis and stop by dave's shop. get you some misprints (that aren't even noticeable as misprints) for $5 a pop.

just buy a magic.

either way, find an excuse to come to st. louis and stop by dave's shop. get you some misprints (that aren't even noticeable as misprints) for $5 a pop.

Red Army has a point that's how i got at least half of my gateway discs
get one of each and then what you don't like you can easily sell or trade and get your money back

Get one of those wizard + warlock + magic misprint deals on ebay so you can decide what you like best. Pay with paypal right away and he throws in some random misprint free.

If the voodoo has too much fade for you the only thing with less would be the magic. Inside the circle though it shouldn't really matter. Have you tried a putter with a big bead like the wizard? I love the wizard. To me it flys like a mini Roc. Very predictable flight and you can really rip them without worrying about them flipping over.

just buy a magic.

I may be in ST L in a couple of months. You just gave me a sweet idea.

I third this. But if you want less fade might try a Magic. It is straight to slightly understable out of the box & beats into a right turner. But if you're talking inside the circle, I would think most putters should be somewhat similar as far as flight goes

yeah, the magic is worth trying. ever since switching to it, i've had one of my hottest putting streaks ever.

Just got 2 wizards and a Voodoo, love all of them, don't think I'll miss my Pro Rhynos in the least from the first few holes I played today. Hit a 40-45' putt with the Voodoo for a bird today, those are pretty rare for me, but anything from 30-40 felt much more reachable with these new discs, love the wizards for longer approaches, they're money. Think I'll love driving them too.

Latest posts