• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Warlock vs Wizard

Yes, they have called the VooDoo a beat in Wizard, and they also label their Warlock as a beadless Wizard. My best comparison would be the Warlock is a standard aviar and the Wizard is a KC Aviar.

"The Gateway Warlock is the same disc as the Wizard but without the signature bead. As a result, the Warlock is dead-straight stable out of the box and behaves like a broken-in Wizard, and has a later low-speed fade when thrown hard. A great putter to complement your Wizard."

"The Voodoo is Gateways Newest, fastest and accurate Putters. It is a great lay-up disc, straight line putter. Feels very comfortable in your hand. Acts like a broken in Wizard. "

-From Gateway site. Both are 'broken in' Wizards apparently. I use a Wizard for 95% of all putting. And a lighter Warlock for really longer putts where I don't want it to fade early on me.

That first quote is a straight up lie that has confused people for years. Gateway could not/would not/did not make a Wizard without a bead. The Warlock is more like an Aviar than a beadless Wizard because it does not have the Wizard's convex bottom wing but rather a straight wing like the Aviar P&A.

The Voodoo is closer to a beadless Wizard, but still different because it has a blunter and fatter bottom wing than the Wizard.

If you are worried about Fade at the end...get yourself a Magic. I had to get a new putter since the pond ate mine at Buckhorn. I was in the same boat, looking for something with as little fade as possible. I picked up a 175g Warlock which just didn't do it for me. Since, I have found the Magic to be the putter for me. Even teeing off with them, I've been extremely happy. Pick one up, you won't regret it. If you aren't happy, there are plenty of players up here that would gladly take it off your hands.

SS WARLOCK all day...Gateway plastic is pretty unpredictable so you either have to buy a bunch off line or find a place that sells them...The bead on the warlock doesnt feel natural to me in the hand and doesn't do much for me. I do have a SS wizard in the bag using it for driving, but I have recently hit 2 aces in 2 weeks with a SS warlock. FWIW

Warlock?

charlie-sheen-autograph.jpg

Yes, they have called the VooDoo a beat in Wizard, and they also label their Warlock as a beadless Wizard. My best comparison would be the Warlock is a standard aviar and the Wizard is a KC Aviar.

"The Gateway Warlock is the same disc as the Wizard but without the signature bead. As a result, the Warlock is dead-straight stable out of the box and behaves like a broken-in Wizard, and has a later low-speed fade when thrown hard. A great putter to complement your Wizard."

"The Voodoo is Gateways Newest, fastest and accurate Putters. It is a great lay-up disc, straight line putter. Feels very comfortable in your hand. Acts like a broken in Wizard. "

-From Gateway site. Both are 'broken in' Wizards apparently. I use a Wizard for 95% of all putting. And a lighter Warlock for really longer putts where I don't want it to fade early on me.

Let me see, do I want thing X, or the disc they keep comparing it to? Just get a Wizard and learn how to putt with it. The wind doesn't bully Wizards as much as most other putters, and they are very predictable. A KC avair is a fine option too, but they have more glide and are prone to leaving you with longer comeback putts. The Wizard drops like a stone when it runs out of steam, meaning you are usually close to where you were aiming.

For really far out puts like 70+ ft and short drives and approaches where I don't deem it necessary to throw my DD supsect or a Roc I like to pull out my Legacy Clutch. Its hard to explain but they take a LOT of abuse and the plastic holds up. Not super stiff but its definitely got a bit of an innova star/gstar mix feel to it for the grip. When your looking for for the peak on a hyzer shot theres nothing more accurate in my personal opinion for how i throw.Really reliable for those finesse shots. I'm a huge fan of the kc aviar wether its in the circle or outside the circle. Seems like the KC does what I ask every time. Wether its a push put where I throw it up and let it drop/glide down in on the basket or spin it right in. Seems to be the only disc I can really do both with. The warlock for now seems to be a strictly spin putter. I have a lot of friends who love driving wizards and swear by them but I have one friend that only uses it for push putts similar to how Nikko putts. I tried to stick with using a yeti instead of a dx aviar that got too beat up beyond use for me for inside the circle so I don't put too much wear and tear on my kc's. The problem is I feel I can make more putts reliably with my KC. However recently I picked up a nice hard warlock that feels like a perfectly straight/slightly "flatter" version of a classic aviar. For me the warlock just seems like a less reliable KC aviar but I have to get used to throwing it more. It is 175 just like my kc but it seems to not bang in as hard into the chains and seems more likely to ricochet out. I grabbed it because it seems like it is a perfect hybrid between something softer like my Clutch and my hard reliable KC. While I may come off as a innova fan boy in this rant it just seems that the more I try other plastics I tend to keep coming back to innova plastic just seems like they can't be beat. My hopes are that in time I get used to the warlock and make it work for me especially with all the hype around gateway putters.

Last edited:
Get a firmer Voodoo for inside the circle and get a wizard in similar plastic for upshots, wind, etc.

Nothing is like a Beat in Wizard except a Beat in Wizard.. Get one, cherish with your life, beat it on stuff, then realize it's the only putter you will ever need.....