• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

So the eraser wizards are good throwers? They don't feel like they would catch the ground very well. They're firm.
I really don't understand what "catch the ground" means. Are you talking about landing and staying put VS. skipping?

My experience is that both organic and hemp blends all tend to lose chunks of material like I mentioned before. So they're poor throwers because sometimes when you hit a tree, you'll have a big gouge/chunk taken off the rim. You might get an abrupt change in stability, if you take a chunk off the lower part of the wing or the bead.

None of the base plastic blends will be very prone to skipping. My recommendation is to stick with plain old SS Wizards. PWP if you like it flat and firm.

Just bought two max weight eraser wizards. Fantastic putter. I wanted something that was firm but had a tacky grip. I've already played a round with it and I'm happy with my purchase. It also throws really well. My question is to all of the wizard aficionados, what plastic do you like to use it as a throwing putter in? I don't want to beat up my eraser ones. Thanks!

I've become a big fan of Diamond Wizards. I know people say they don't have the glide but I have no problem with throwing them on holes up to 300'. It flies how I'd expect a stable putter to fly. They hold up really well, Diamond plastic has become my preferred plastic for its ability to hold together.

My experience is that both organic and hemp blends all tend to lose chunks of material like I mentioned before. So they're poor throwers because sometimes when you hit a tree, you'll have a big gouge/chunk taken off the rim. You might get an abrupt change in stability, if you take a chunk off the lower part of the wing or the bead.

None of the base plastic blends will be very prone to skipping. My recommendation is to stick with plain old SS Wizards. PWP if you like it flat and firm.

Have you noticed much of a difference between Orgo, SS, and PWP for durability? I'm getting back into throwing Wizards and LOVE my orgo one. But it does chunk up pretty quickly, especially since some of the baskets around me are a little rocky/sandy. I haven't noticed too much stability loss, but the damage is around the rim, not by the bead.

This is true of any baseline plastic. Don't hit trees. ;)
I've got my fair share of old S Wizards that have taken tons of abuse without any big gouges. My proto Fossil Scale has also beaten in to dead straight without any major issues. Seems like some base plastics can take it.

Have you noticed much of a difference between Orgo, SS, and PWP for durability? I'm getting back into throwing Wizards and LOVE my orgo one. But it does chunk up pretty quickly, especially since some of the baskets around me are a little rocky/sandy. I haven't noticed too much stability loss, but the damage is around the rim, not by the bead.

I don't have much experience with PWP, the one in my bag has gotten light use over the past year and that's it. SS is definitely more durable than Organic in my experience. I've never kept an Organic in the bag for more than a season.

I was messing around and trying to see how many 20 ft putts I could sink in 1min. Which required digging out all old putters.

Was surprised to find my two old Wizards still putted really well, made putts with them very easily. If they weren't so darn deep I might have to revisit them.

Are they still selling Firm Wiz's? I wound up with one of those and that feels like the closest thing around to an indestructible base plastic. Really like it for putting too.

I added recently added eight new Wizards to my collection - 2 PWP, 2 Firm, 2 SS and 2 SSS. I am a fan of Gateway's variation in plastic blends; with a collection of a couple dozen Wizards, I choose what feels best for the season or weather conditions.

The new Wizards have seen a couple months of use, mostly from backyard practice putting. The best "feel" (subjective) right now in hot, humid summer are the Firms and PWPs - smooth surface, grippy but not tacky, stiff but not "porcelain". The SSS are like some Innova R-Pro, you can fold them in half as they are very rubbery. The SS surprised me with having a rubbery feel; not as flexible as the SSS but much more flexible and rubbery than my older SS Wizards. They are somewhat tacky and might be good in cooler, dryer conditions or in the rain. I could see using the new SSS Wizards for throwing in rainstorms, again, like Innova R-Pro.

Durability, after 2 months ... the SS and especially SSS seem nearly indestuctible; instead of chunking they bounce. The Firms have held up nicely for putting; the rims are dented from hitting chains and cage but not much damage from hitting the band or rough ground. The PWPs feel great but have suffered more slices, cuts and chunks than the Firms.

Summary: For these new Wizards, and summer conditions, I'd choose a Firm for putting and a SS for throwing (after breaking them in for another few months to a year.)

Just bought two max weight eraser wizards. Fantastic putter. I wanted something that was firm but had a tacky grip. I've already played a round with it and I'm happy with my purchase. It also throws really well. My question is to all of the wizard aficionados, what plastic do you like to use it as a throwing putter in? I don't want to beat up my eraser ones. Thanks!

When I putted with Wizards I used Eraser for both driving and putting. It is tough enough to not worry about beating it up like one does with most baselines. I did this in heavy woods.

Just throw them.

Last edited:
I just made an order for 5 SS Wizards from the same run, stoked to go back to putting and throwing the same mold.

Presently putting with Daggers and bagging an extra one for throwing. Decided to switch back to Wizards after checking some out in a local shop.

I also note that it looks like they did away with "S" suregrip and are now calling it "Firm" again. Goes straight from Firm to SS and so on.

I always thought I would prefer the absolute stiffest putter possible, but I have since realized I like a little flex. I figure SS is the perfect compromise with the largely rigid structure combined with the tacky surface. Plus, Suregrip is what I prefer for driving.

Going to throw a wizard for putting in the bag, plus one to start a cycle:

Wizard putter
Wizard thrower
Proxy > eventually plan to replace with a beat straight Wizard

Very nice

I just made an order for 5 SS Wizards from the same run, stoked to go back to putting and throwing the same mold.

Presently putting with Daggers and bagging an extra one for throwing. Decided to switch back to Wizards after checking some out in a local shop.

I also note that it looks like they did away with "S" suregrip and are now calling it "Firm" again. Goes straight from Firm to SS and so on.

I always thought I would prefer the absolute stiffest putter possible, but I have since realized I like a little flex. I figure SS is the perfect compromise with the largely rigid structure combined with the tacky surface. Plus, Suregrip is what I prefer for driving.

Going to throw a wizard for putting in the bag, plus one to start a cycle:

Wizard putter
Wizard thrower
Proxy > eventually plan to replace with a beat straight Wizard

Very nice

Try out a voodoo if you want a similar feeling disc in the same plastic that flies like a beat wizard. It may replace your proxy for you.

Then of course pick up a scale for those windy days

Welcome back to club though, hard to beat a wizard! I tend to like the ss firmness for throwing as well, especially when the get beat into having a nice puddle top.

Wizard

Any Wizard guru's want to weigh in here? Picked up what I believe to be a G9i Wiz from PIAS this weekend. Plastic certainly meets the criteria and I know the small thrower stamp was on G9i's. Also has the PDGA approved tooling on the back. No marking of plastic type.
1b34242d7675a8e9fc4550e1fbd51e9d.jpg
febe9dd7fc4dadd397d2f37dac2350a5.jpg

5281ca427ba25f8111503716a07c5024.jpg

Last edited:
I bought 20 from the earliest runs and have acquired a few from later runs. From the bulk buy(s), 10 center black stamps and 10 bottom right rainbow stamp and marked like yours. Every one of mine were flat. Same for the later blends (non-Wizard stamps).

Can't tell if that's dome or the angle of the disc in your profile pic. Looks like a nice thrower either way.

Haven't seen one of those in a while! Looks like a later run to me, but I've never seen the early runs. Jealous!