• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

Just picked up a Special Blend Wizard. I am looking forward to trying it out once TS Beta finally leaves the Houston area.

When I started out (7 years ago?? time flies) I tried out wizards for putting and throwing. I switched to Judges and then to a handful of other things over the years before recently picking up a short stack of wizards for putting and throwing.

Man, they are a lot straighter than I remember. Like, they are stable as heck and do fade, but even while fading they don't glide to the left much, just stay within a very tight arc overall.

Out of curiosity, anyone know what to watch out for to find a particularly OS wizard? Thinking more like a fresh premium Aviar or KC flight.

Out of curiosity, anyone know what to watch out for to find a particularly OS wizard?

Do you mean characteristics or plastic? I'd say in general high shoulders are more OS than low shoulders. I'd recommend trying Firm Wizards. They're still a Wizard but they have a nice stability and they season well.

When I started out (7 years ago?? time flies) I tried out wizards for putting and throwing. I switched to Judges and then to a handful of other things over the years before recently picking up a short stack of wizards for putting and throwing.

Man, they are a lot straighter than I remember. Like, they are stable as heck and do fade, but even while fading they don't glide to the left much, just stay within a very tight arc overall.

Out of curiosity, anyone know what to watch out for to find a particularly OS wizard? Thinking more like a fresh premium Aviar or KC flight.

Tried a Scale? They're closer to a Rhyno but hard to differentiate from a Wizard in the hand

Is there any way to visually identify what plastic or mold of Wizard I have? This was bought somewhere between 2003 and 2005, I think it's a Wizard-S but I'm not sure. It's a very, very stiff plastic, the stiffest disc I own, but with a velvety, tacky rubber feel.

It's in pretty bad shape, so I'm going to need to get a new putter, but I don't know what precisely I have. I also don't like discs that have such massive variance between runs and plastics, so I don't know if I want to stick with Wizards at all. I love the hand feel though, I don't like the feel of Aviars, so something Wizard-esque is my preference.

First things first, did Gateway retool the Wizard since I bought this one, or are current Wizards essentially the same as they were that far back?

Attachments

• PXL_20200926_021936799.jpg
    PXL_20200926_021936799.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20200926_021924732.jpg
    PXL_20200926_021924732.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20200926_022112883.jpg
    PXL_20200926_022112883.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 51
Is there any way to visually identify what plastic or mold of Wizard I have? This was bought somewhere between 2003 and 2005, I think it's a Wizard-S but I'm not sure. It's a very, very stiff plastic, the stiffest disc I own, but with a velvety, tacky rubber feel.

It's in pretty bad shape, so I'm going to need to get a new putter, but I don't know what precisely I have. I also don't like discs that have such massive variance between runs and plastics, so I don't know if I want to stick with Wizards at all. I love the hand feel though, I don't like the feel of Aviars, so something Wizard-esque is my preference.

First things first, did Gateway retool the Wizard since I bought this one, or are current Wizards essentially the same as they were that far back?

That Wizard is perfect.

(I can't safely answer any questions you asked)

Perfect.

That's not a 2003-05 Wizard. That tooling was later, it was closer to '08 or '09 when that tooling came into use. You should be able to get a regular-old firm or soft S Wizard to replace it with; the mold is the same.

EDIT: I had a bunch from that era, those were great driving Wizards. The closest I can get to that hand feel out of the box is Soft S Wizards I have that are still firm. Over time a Firm S Wizard will beat into a softer hand feel. So it kinda depends on if you want that feel now or if you are in it for the long haul.

EDIT to EDIT: It really doesn't look bad; you could just keep using it.

Last edited:
EDIT to EDIT: It really doesn't look bad; you could just keep using it.

Just what I was thinking. That's just starting to look good! I know I love posting this pic, but this was taken, as far as I can tell, in 2013. It's still my main putter.

34dcadd6-f760-46aa-abd4-c049e5efd786_zps57f6246e.jpg

It's not very visible in the photo, but there's some warping going on. That's the main reason I'd want to replace it and relegate this to practice. I also have difficulty getting a consistently clean release when putting. The release issues would be why I'd consider switching molds. As much as I like the feel, if that hand feel doesn't translate into a clean, consistent release, it's for naught.

Fall 2007 is the absolute newest it can possibly be, since I know I used it while I was in college. 04-07 is probably more accurate. In any event, if the mold is the same, what era isn't too important.

It's not very visible in the photo, but there's some warping going on. That's the main reason I'd want to replace it and relegate this to practice. I also have difficulty getting a consistently clean release when putting. The release issues would be why I'd consider switching molds. As much as I like the feel, if that hand feel doesn't translate into a clean, consistent release, it's for naught.

Fall 2007 is the absolute newest it can possibly be, since I know I used it while I was in college. 04-07 is probably more accurate. In any event, if the mold is the same, what era isn't too important.
Nice username!

I have a 2007 stamped disc with the previous tooling so I use 2008 as the general date for the tooling change, but it's not like everyone waits for calendar years to roll over to make any changes. They easily could have changed that in 2007 sometime.

The red one in this picture is the same era; easily my favorite driving Wizard.

picture.php

Warlocks were my fix to release issues with the Wizard, although Voodoo's can do the same. Warlock have more of an Aviar-shaped beadless wing while the Voodoo has the same shape wing as a Wizard, just with a smaller bead. Both of those could improve the issue with release.

I also don't like discs that have such massive variance between runs and plastics, so I don't know if I want to stick with Wizards at all.

I recently switched back to wizards from judges and daggers. However, if you would prefer consistency I'd probably recommend either the judge for shallow or the dagger for deep. The classic/zero hard plastic will probably feel similar to what you have there.

I picked up a matching pair of superglows over the weekend. Good lord these are awesome. Somewhere around "S" firmness, super flat and grippy with a medium-low shoulder. They are amazing putters out of the box.

There are so many great Wizard plastics out right now, I have a hard time figuring out what to bag. My old medium always has a spot on lockdown for long/jump putts and approaches but I've been switching up the Circle-1 wizards a lot.

Nothing wrong with switching it up. They all putt like Wizards. I putt Fossil or ER-25 in the winter and G9i the rest of the time. The extra grip of the Eraser helps in the cold, and the flex they do have isn't as apparent when it's cold.

Anyone have any experience with the nylon wizards?

My experience is limited to holding some and looking at them. Haven't thrown any yet.

Mine are all max weight nylon blend Homeless Wizard stamps gotten from InfiniteDiscs.
The feel is a mix of rubbery and velvety. Relatively stiff; nearly that of a PW Wizard.
They are flat to slightly puddle topped. The shoulders of the nylon blends appear to be identical to that of a Pure White Wizard that I pulled out for comparison.