• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

The Warlock is a straight-up beadless Aviar copy. It flies like a beefy PnA. Great, great, super-duper underrated putter. Out of the box it's a lot like a Wizard, but it beats in more quickly (duh, no bead... :rolleyes: )

Fun fact: The Warlock was announced as an understable compliment to the Wizard and was supposed to be named the Magic. When they molded them, they came out waaayyy more beefy than Gateway expected, but the beadless feel in the hand was cool so they switched gears and put it out as the Warlock.

The Magic when it came out was pretty different. They used that lay-down wing design that the 86 Softie had and put it on a more conventional putter top. It actually starts out a lot less stable than a Wizard, which is what Gateway was going for.

Indeed. I remember when the McPro Aviars came out I threw a Medium Warlock alongside it, identical for all intents and purposes.

Warlock is like a beadless Aviar and the wizard is similar to the big bead aviar. The nose of the wizard is slightly different than the big bead Aviar but the feel in the hand is very similar.

Here's my interpretation of comparable molds.
The MVP ion is an exact copy of the wizard shape. Exact. Wizards are not the same(feel) as KC/BB aviars, which have a flat-ish lower wing. Wizard is totally round. Both are beaded, obviously. I have found they can be used interchangeably though.
Warlock is a copy of the aviar pNa, but maybe a little lowered shoulder. Flat wing. Similar stability to wizards in my opinion.
Pa4 is an exact copy of the magic. Magic is NOT a beadless wizard. Totally different feel. They're almost square, and they're awesome.

It's funny...gateway makes a lot of good discs but I don't even care because it's all too confusing and makes no logical sense. But, they make wizards and that's what I like and throw. The rest of their stuff could go away and I would not care. Sad really.

Can't comment on being ignored. They have picked up the phone every time I've called, and they've has answered every email.

Not sure why you think they need to change their business practices. Do you own some of the company?

So, because they answer all of YOUR calls and emails about YOUR specific needs, they cannot possibly ignore other requests from customers within a market they serve?

It seems pretty clear, especially after comment from our super moderator, that Gateway's business practice is pretty dated. This is a statement of fact.

Do I need to own part of a company to have an opinion on how they present themselves to their customer base? Or should I be mute and shamed into censorship because 'this is how Gateway is' or 'The Daviar doesn't give a f*** so neither should you'?

Wow. I guess Dave slept with your mom and kicked your dog. Or did he never call you again after he got what he wanted? I said that I can't comment on being ignored because I've never experienced that. I shared my personal experience on a public forum. Rather than attempting to condescend me, how about you share your experience to better inform the public?

Take a little drive to GGGT.
Fondle all the wizards.
Buy your fave.

I hope to stop by tomorrow, I live over by Como and getting to GGGT is actually a huge trip since theres only 1 way to get over the river and that's the 94/35 tunnel interchange area that just SUCKS and I can never get there during the week. So hopefully I can just stop in but we'll see.

Here's my interpretation of comparable molds.
The MVP ion is an exact copy of the wizard shape. Exact. Wizards are not the same(feel) as KC/BB aviars, which have a flat-ish lower wing. Wizard is totally round. Both are beaded, obviously. I have found they can be used interchangeably though.
Warlock is a copy of the aviar pNa, but maybe a little lowered shoulder. Flat wing. Similar stability to wizards in my opinion.
Pa4 is an exact copy of the magic. Magic is NOT a beadless wizard. Totally different feel. They're almost square, and they're awesome.

I would say the Ion is more of a overmolded Voodoo that has a Wizard style bead on it instead of the microbead.

So, because they answer all of YOUR calls and emails about YOUR specific needs, they cannot possibly ignore other requests from customers within a market they serve?

It seems pretty clear, especially after comment from our super moderator, that Gateway's business practice is pretty dated. This is a statement of fact.

Do I need to own part of a company to have an opinion on how they present themselves to their customer base? Or should I be mute and shamed into censorship because 'this is how Gateway is' or 'The Daviar doesn't give a f*** so neither should you'?

Reduce sodium intake before posting, brah.

Wow. I guess Dave slept with your mom and kicked your dog. Or did he never call you again after he got what he wanted? I said that I can't comment on being ignored because I've never experienced that. I shared my personal experience on a public forum. Rather than attempting to condescend me, how about you share your experience to better inform the public?

Way to take things to another level with personal comments! You fit right in with all the other DGCR gatekeepers :thmbup:

And, your classic "I can't comment...but I'm going to anyway" and "Do you own part of the company" statements. Genius. Condescension is a two way street, Tw*tBird.

Here's my experience: Over the past decade, MANY have requested a change to/commented on/complained about Gateway's customer relationship methods & management. Fact.

I just had an awesome experience dealing with the store... and I'm ordering from Canada. Top notch customer service, which for me trumps their web sites lack of info and then some

Way to take things to another level with personal comments! You fit right in with all the other DGCR gatekeepers :thmbup:

And, your classic "I can't comment...but I'm going to anyway" and "Do you own part of the company" statements. Genius. Condescension is a two way street, Tw*tBird.

Here's my experience: Over the past decade, MANY have requested a change to/commented on/complained about Gateway's customer relationship methods & management. Fact.

I can't comment on being ignored because I've never been ignored. As I said, I'm sharing my personal experience. Considering this is a public forum, this is as good a place to share it as any. You seem more content with speaking in generalities. As angry as you appear to be about things, I'm surprised you don't have a story to share yourself. My apologies for whoever pissed in your cheerios.

I hope to stop by tomorrow, I live over by Como and getting to GGGT is actually a huge trip since theres only 1 way to get over the river and that's the 94/35 tunnel interchange area that just SUCKS and I can never get there during the week. So hopefully I can just stop in but we'll see.

Clearly you should move. :\

I would say the Ion is more of a overmolded Voodoo that has a Wizard style bead on it instead of the microbead.

If you get a chance to put an ion and wizard rim to rim, they're identical. It's been a while since I've held/thrown a voodoo, but I don't remember them feeling or looking the same. They have similar design, but in different proportions. I could be wrong, I can't really remember exactly what a voodoo is like.

Complaining to Gateway is like complaining to the government. Neither gives a flying F. Just go to their retail location some time and see for yourself. You can't get anyone to wait on you. Buy a wizard, don't buy one...have a nice day.

Will someone please put a Wizard against an Ion and post a picture?

Ion is a wonderful putter. Not super useful for folks who like to run cycles though -- those premium overmolds just take forever to season. If they do at all. And I've never cared for MVPs baseline.