• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Gator Advice?

Got to see some pro gators in person today at a local tourney. They were all superdomed, more than normal for dx even. Or maybe they just felt that way due to the firmer pro plastic vs. dx. I passed.

That bites. I would kill for some nice flat OS molds in KC, from the gator on up to firebirds. I would kill for a stack of kc teebirds, like a modern 10x I guess.

Sounds like Gators mold up pretty inconsistently...I've only thrown two: Board flat metal flake, and a ridiculously domey glow. Two very different discs.

I know it's already been mentioned (and shot down) but, try a Zone.

To be fair, these were molded with the intent that they have dome like regular dx. They do make flat tops - you can get them at DGV - I just haven't seen a flat top in person, and I don't know if they will be available to local tourneys. The tourney I was at had just about every other mold with the tourney stamp, including regular and flat top rocs, and regular and flat top champ gators, so I would think if they were available they would have been there, but I can't say I know that for certain. I'm not sure if we will get a regularly available tourney flat top pro gators or not.

Bought a flat top champ Gator from Huk Lab years ago. Fell in love with at as a short forehand approach disc or get me out of trouble disc. Tried DX and Star Gators and they just don't do that same thing. Lost my champ Gator over a fence and about cried. Went looking for another on ebay immediately. Thankfully the original returned to me. I have a back up old MF Gator and got a new MF Gator, but it has some dome. I wouldn't mind a Mortar either, but I haven't found a flat top yet.

I like the dx shaped gators. That's why I'm liking the mortars I picked up so much. They have a bit more glide, but still a nice sweeping hook of fade. Reminds me of a slightly more overstable old barstamp gator, but they will skip if you hit the angle right.

The little bit of glide the dome adds makes them a bit more controllable and versatile IMO. You just have to spend a little time learning to dial it in.

You guys know you can flat top it yourself, right?

it's just not the same.

i've had some innova team stamped MF gators (gifted to me by a team member) that was flat and when in comparison to a flat ring of gator champ flat top (which are board flat) the ring of gators was more glideless, brick like, and OS.

i've gotten some factory second champ gators that were domey and flattened them to board flat and they still weren't as OS as the board flat ring of gator gators or flat glow gators from the innova factory store.

I like the dx shaped gators. That's why I'm liking the mortars I picked up so much. They have a bit more glide, but still a nice sweeping hook of fade. Reminds me of a slightly more overstable old barstamp gator, but they will skip if you hit the angle right.

The little bit of glide the dome adds makes them a bit more controllable and versatile IMO. You just have to spend a little time learning to dial it in.

I mentioned above about how more OS and brick like board flat ring of gators gators are.

but i actually found the slightly domed champ gators very useful because you could do more things with them and even put them on roc lines when the wind was strong.

things like longer flex lines in heavy winds up to 280ft. long sidearms/backhands on with hyzer on downhill shots using that OS and a little more glide.

those ring of gator flat top gators truly are bricks and there are distance limits to them (also very useful) no matter how much power you put on them.

Sounds like Gators mold up pretty inconsistently...I've only thrown two: Board flat metal flake, and a ridiculously domey glow. Two very different discs.

I know it's already been mentioned (and shot down) but, try a Zone.

my friends who throw the zone have complained about how zones have changed/molded up weird just like gators.

a lot of them throw those old school esp zones that are concave (like almost conical concave similar to yeti aviars) and the the newer ones come out flat to domey and aren't as OS.

my friends who throw the zone have complained about how zones have changed/molded up weird just like gators.

a lot of them throw those old school esp zones that are concave (like almost conical concave similar to yeti aviars) and the the newer ones come out flat to domey and aren't as OS.

Yep, I was looking at my newer.. unused zones a bit ago.

Yep, I was looking at my newer.. unused zones a bit ago.

that being said, you never know a zone might be the answer (even the newer molded ones) because it is a slower disc which might be a lot less touchy if you don't like the huge skips, faster arm speed requirement, and overstablility of a gator.

Yeah, I've started hearing tales of these newer cut zones, but I've got one of the new Jawbreakers, and 3 of last year's ledgestone glo's that are all perfectly flat. Maybe I've lucked out, but the two discs I have the most of by far, Buzzzes and Zones, have all (except for one domey Z Buzzz and one puddle top Cryztal FLX Zone) been flat.

My friend throws Gators, and he always pulls out the Gator on the holes where I use a Zone.

Ordered a Pro Gator (KC Open stamp) from DGU. It arrived this week. Gotta say I am discappointed. The plastic feels an awful lot like DX. It's extremely domey, too. I would love to have a Gator that is grippy & soft.

Ordered a Pro Gator (KC Open stamp) from DGU. It arrived this week. Gotta say I am discappointed. The plastic feels an awful lot like DX. It's extremely domey, too. I would love to have a Gator that is grippy & soft.

From the DGU description: "This pro plastic is very similar to KC plastic." KC Pro plastic is never grippy and soft in my experience. I mean, it can be somewhat grippy with some use, but when new it seems to usually be harder and slicker than DX. On the plus side, it's more durable than DX too. I was afraid of the dome on these, which is why I haven't bought one; thanks for confirming my fears. I will stay away unless I see some in person at a tournament.

Anybody know about how the pro glow gator on dgu feels?

Latest posts