• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Gator Advice?

Picked up a champ Mortar at the Nick Hyde and it may just replace the Zone in my bag in addition to OS mid duties, it stays true to the line when under-powered for shorter throws.

Anybody know about how the pro glow gator on dgu feels?

A few posts before yours Shide described the Pro he bought from DGU. He said it felt a lot like DX. I believe on the page before that someone described the pros as domey. I doubt the Glow Pros will be much different than the regular ones honestly.

When was the last time the factory store sold those pancake flat ring gators?

When was the last time the factory store sold those pancake flat ring gators?

Last time I saw them was back in November. I grabbed a few, but haven't thrown them yet. The one in my bag is from a previous run ~2 years ago and it is just as stable as the day I bought it. Great discs.

in my experience ring of gators are released in the winter months only.

Picked up a champ Mortar at the Nick Hyde and it may just replace the Zone in my bag in addition to OS mid duties, it stays true to the line when under-powered for shorter throws.

Good to know.

And I got my glow pro Gators in the mail from dgu today. One was like shide complained and a touch too waxy but one was softer and it feels awesome. Both do have a touch too much dome. I like that the bead isn't as aggressive as some gators--looking at you metal flake.

Overall I'd say they remind me of dx Gators before waxy dx ruined everything. Excited to beat them in.

Gator Advice?

When playing courses in Florida, don't wade into water hazards to retrieve discs.

How long will DX Gator maintain its stability, if I play a lot in the woods? I need a FH approach disc, but my flat (like earth) ring of Gators is too OS for that.
I currently use proton Envy as my FH approach disc, but it is too long/glidey/straight.

How a star Gator(beaded) compares to BT Harp? Mortars are all sold out here, and I dont want to add another mold.

How long will DX Gator maintain its stability, if I play a lot in the woods? I need a FH approach disc, but my flat (like earth) ring of Gators is too OS for that.
I currently use proton Envy as my FH approach disc, but it is too long/glidey/straight.

How a star Gator(beaded) compares to BT Harp? Mortars are all sold out here, and I dont want to add another mold.

Warning: I made the mistake once of ordering a DX Gator online and got a domey POS that had less stability than a fresh DX Roc. I've seen others like it in stores too (although they're not uniformly that bad), so I wouldn't buy a DX Gator unless you can feel them up and pick it out in person.

If you use a BT Harp, why not use that as a forehand approach disc? I know you don't want to add a mold, but I would go with Rhyno or Pig probably. If the champ Gator is too overstable, I'd guess a Zone would be too, although lots of people will probably recommend it anyway.

Disclaimer: my FH isn't pretty and I respect the "minimal molds" approach.

But if I absolutely have to throw FH to get up or around something I grab the g* rhyno. I'm a 99% backhander but in all honesty the rhyno is slowly changing that. It's nice to have a use for them too since I went back to putt putting with aviars.

As a long-time Gator man, it almost hurts me to suggest throwing something else, however...
The DD Suspect is an option for a mid approach, less stable than a Gator, but still fades at the end.

Avoid a DX Gator. Maybe try a max weight Soft Neutron Envy. They are a bit more overstable in general than Proton and seem to hold their stability much longer too.

Also, have you tried a Vip or TP Harp? Should also be less stable than a Rings Gator and more overstable than your Envy.

What is wrong with DX Gators? I like mine

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

As a long-time Gator man, it almost hurts me to suggest throwing something else, however...
The DD Suspect is an option for a mid approach, less stable than a Gator, but still fades at the end.

Pretty much this. I feel your pain as well. But if you want something for FH approaches and the flat ring of gators Gator is too OS for you, the Suspect is your answer. It's got all the HSS and flatness you need but the fade isn't quite as violent. Go with Fuzion or Bio as the Lucid Suspects don't quite have the same HSS or fade.

What is wrong with DX Gators? I like mine

Nothing per se, but the person I was responding to said that he played in heavily wooded courses and wanted something less stable than his Champ, but more than an Envy. For him, a DX Gator will start out where he wants, but quickly become too flippy. Just as I would not recommend any DX disc for wooded courses, I suggested he stay away from a DX Gator.

I play pretty much only wooded courses and baseline plastics make up a very large part of my bag.

Has anyone given any of the Gstar Gators in the factory store a shot? How are they? I throw barstamp DX gators (they're EVERYWHERE in New England shops for some reason) and need a similar but longer lasting flight.

I remember people saying the gstars were domey. I got some flat topped lusters in yesterday and they're nice. I won't throw them though.