• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Generating hip speed--the hip snap

lgross

For the life of me, I can't throw further than about 280 feet. One problem seems to be that I can't generate much hip speed. It's been described to me as a hip snap. Any adive on how to generate hip speed or generate a hip snap? I really would like to see an article on this, if you haven't done it already, Blake.

BTW, thanks for the great web site. It is much appreciated.

L. Gross

the key for the hips is in footwork.

the x-step is the key to getting the hips going, but also the way that your muscles behave through them.

the keys of positioning = toes on left foot facing away when you come through the cross step, and then planting your right foot at an angle less than 90 degrees away from the basket.

i'm running into more and more people that do not have explosive leg power, and i'm finding it is difficult for me to "train" how to use your legs beyond foot placement, balance, and pacing. i always have an "active" x-step and do not just sort of coast through the steps with momentum.