• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting Discs "Up To Speed"

Is "getting discs up to speed" real?

• Total voters

DiscinFiend

* Ace Member *
I've had a few arguments/conversations with a few people here on DGCR recently about getting discs up to speed. Is there such thing as getting a disc up to speed? From my experience & people I've talked to I'd have to say yes. If there isn't such a thing as getting a disc up to speed than why do big rimmed/high speed drivers act more overstable for people who don't throw very far, compared to a person who has a cannon for an arm? Thoughts? Comments?

I think it is real and the proof is in the throw. comparing one of my backhand throws with a teebird to a buddy of mine who has excellent form and a big arm. My shot will go straight and fade, but the way he throws, it just stays straight, hardly any fade. So yes i think it is real.

I'd love to hear an argument stating it isn't "real".

:popcorn:

Not even going to vote, because I think it will be pointless.

The argument in that thread revolves more around whether there are rules based on the speed of a disc and the distance you can throw it, and whether that means you should or should not throw that disc. I am not going to touch that.

I thought this question was asking if given the same release angles, whether a disc's flight would change when thrown "up to speed" v.s. a lower speed. It would, so that is "real" to me. How fast a disc is spinning and how fast it is traveling through the air will effect flight. Just look at wind! In a headwind your disc thinks its faster, and it is more understable. Tailwind, it thinks it is slower and flies more overstable.

I answered 'yes,' but I thing spin may be more important to the shape of a disc's flight, whereas speed has more to do with distance. Of course, speed & spin are highly correlated, and very hard to tease apart; however if you compare the 'Swedish' & 'American' styles (emphasis on spin vs. emphasis on speed) it might explain why a Swedish company gives flight ratings of 8/6/0/3 to their Stag but most members of this forum wonder where that zero came from.

I'm going to guess who ever you were "arguing/conversating" with isn't going to be posting here?

I'm going to guess who ever you were "arguing/conversating" with isn't going to be posting here?

I wasn't calling anybody out, but I doubt the people I was debating with will post in this thread. I just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on this topic b/c recently this topic has come up a lot.

Discs are designed to be thrown at certain speeds to achieve a desired effect. Can you putt with a driver? Of course, but that's not what its intended for.

And I can hit the heck out of a pitching wedge all day long, but can barely hit the little white ball with a 1 wood. (I do unfortunately try to hit it as hard as I can though every single time I attempt to play ball golf).

There's value in understanding how different discs fly at different speeds. Sometimes for a trick shot or to get out of trouble I've found that throwing a driver on a 75' shot gives me the best chance at hitting that shot. To get the most out of any disc you need to be able to get it up to speed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that faster discs are totally useless if you can't get them up to speed.

Makes sense that you need the proper number of revolutions on the disc to get it to work correctly. Hello physics experts

There's value in understanding how different discs fly at different speeds. Sometimes for a trick shot or to get out of trouble I've found that throwing a driver on a 75' shot gives me the best chance at hitting that shot. To get the most out of any disc you need to be able to get it up to speed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that faster discs are totally useless if you can't get them up to speed.

Most definitely. Sometimes, especially on a tight technical course, you need something that will go hard left (RHBH), like an underpowered high speed driver.

I've never understood why the Destroyer and Boss are so popular. 95% of disc golfers aren't even able to get them up to speed.

I'd like to know what we mean by getting a disc up to speed. Is it the velocity of the disc from your hand along its path? Or is it how fast the disc is spinning? I've always assumed it was how fast the disc was spinning, which is one of the reasons snap it so important in a drive. Additionally, one of the reasons blizzard plastic is so popular was because it allowed players with less arm strength to snap it harder and impart more spin.

Have I been thinking about this all wrong?

I've never understood why the Destroyer and Boss are so popular. 95% of disc golfers aren't even able to get them up to speed.

Hopefully Climo saying in his in the bag video that he doesn't have the arm to really throw the more overstable destroyers will get that point out there a little more.

I'd like to know what we mean by getting a disc up to speed. Is it the velocity of the disc from your hand along its path? Or is it how fast the disc is spinning? I've always assumed it was how fast the disc was spinning, which is one of the reasons snap it so important in a drive. Additionally, one of the reasons blizzard plastic is so popular was because it allowed players with less arm strength to snap it harder and impart more spin.

Have I been thinking about this all wrong?

Snap isn't just spin, it's spin and speed, both of which are necessary for proper disc flight.

I can only throw my Destroyer on a golf line, about 350-370.
Do I think I don't have the arm to throw it at its proper speed? Absolutely.
Do I care? Absolutely not.

Latest posts