• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting Started And Need Advice

So I played a handful of times years ago but am just now starting to learn and play a little more serious. What discs would you recommend to start with? I played with Innova DX years ago because that's all people here played with. I'm looking at Innova DX again because they're cheap but are they the best for beginners? I don't know much about Discraft, Dynamic or any other companies. I want something that's going to be cheap but reliable and I can build a good bag without breaking the bank while I learn. I've got a handful that I got at a cheap price.

Below is what I've got so far:

Distance:
Wraith (Can't control it)
Beast
Valkyrie

Fairway:
Leopard
Eagle

Mid-Range:
Shark
Wolf
Spider (got today)

Putter:
Aviar
Judge (found a black one today)

I think the best thing to do is take out all but a few until I get my form and technique down and then work my way up.

Any advice? Any others that might be better. I'm not looking to learn fancy shots, just throw discs that will give me the most control and best chance to go straight.

If you prefer something else for beginners over Innova DX what is it and why?

Well, you have everything you need there to get going.
DX is fine, don't worry about other plastics until you get used the game and decide that you want to invest in more...AFTER you have an idea what you need/want.

Keep the putters around, at least the Aviar, the Shark is an old standby that everyone should have and is great to learn with, same with the Leopard. Maybe work in the eagle, but I would't worry about the distance drivers until you are more confident with the fairways.

What you have is just fine for a beginner. I've owned all of those listed and still bag 6 of them (albeit in better plastic now)

Not knowing what your throwing distance is or the weights of your discs, I'd Put the Wraith and the Beast away for a while, they'll probably just frustrate you. The Valkyrie might be ok, but if you find it just turning into the ground, put that away too until you can consistently get your mids and fairways to cut good lines.

The Eagle and Leopard are a great driving pair and when the Eagle beats in, it will fly a long way!

DX is fine but depending on how much you play and how many trees you hit the DX discs go under stable pretty quick.

What distance are you getting with the drivers versus the fairways?

I'd drop the distance drivers and roll with what you have right now; Eagle/Leopard is a great combo (right now they bracket a TL in my bag), and the Shark is a perfect mid for a beginner, or really anyone.

The only thing I would really recommend is paying attention to the differences between the Judge and the Avair. The Judge has a big bead (that extra bit of plastic below the edge of the disc) while the Avair shouldn't really have a bead if it's a DX Aviar. Some people like beaded discs, some people hate them; I'd just pay attention to the differences and figure out which one you like.

Otherwise, welcome to the game. If you want to get a basic understanding of form, look up Discmania's Deep In The Game series on youtube; they're great basic instructional videos which will give you some idea of proper form. Otherwise, have fun!

FWIW, drop every other disc except the Leopark, Shark, and Aviar until each goes about where you expect it will. Then add the Eagle and the Spider. Once you think you've got those figured out, keep practicing with them until you've really figured them out. Once you've done that, take the Valkyrie into to wide open field and throw it in headwinds, tailwinds, and cross-winds. Then do that with a Beast. Then do that with a Wraith.

Rinse, repeat...until you've done that with your whole bag.

Don't mean to come off as a d!ck.....it just takes a while to figure out each disc. The less you have to work with the better off you'll be. Though please believe I understand the draw of new plastic.

Best of luck, brother!

I with Nemmers, reduce the number of discs you throw until your have control. If I where starting over today, I would throw a mid range disc and a putter. After a year or so of playing that's what I did. I threw a Buzzz and an Aviar for about 6 months and then added an old beat Star Wraith. I did this this because a number of guys from this very group mentioned it would be best in the long run. They were correct.

That being said by the end of year 2, my bag had swelled to about 8 disc and I could get around most courses at around par. Now the bag is 18 discs deep with backups and discs with varying degrees of stability. For example, I have 3 Rocs, one is over-stable, one flies almost straight and one is under-stable and beat in to the point the bead is almost gone.

Weight is something else to keep in mind, I found lighter disc work for me, I like the 150 class champion stuff until the wind shows up. When it's windy I move to the old standards like a 172g FAF Firebird and a heavy flat top Roc. My mids are in the upper 160's to 170g. Putter are 175g one is hard and one is soft.

Good luck and welcome.

FWIW, drop every other disc except the Leopard, Shark, and Aviar.

There's a reason these 3 discs are in Innova's beginners pack.

As far as plastic goes I prefer premium plastic such as Champion or Star particularly for the Leopard. Cost a little more but the durability makes it cost effective in the long run. And keep the Leopard around 150g. Then you'll have 2 drivers in case you need a back up.

Welcome to the site and the sport.

Thank you all for the advice. I've been slow to respond. You're all right. The more options the harder it is. I ordered a Buzzz, a Truth and a Judge this week and played a round today with only those three. I really love the Buzzz and truth and both are very straight. I preferred the Judge over the Aviar that I have as well. I'm going to spend some time with those and work my way up.

Don't mean to come off as a d!ck

No problem at all. I definitely didn't take it that way. Like you said it takes a while to figure them out and if I can't throw a controllable midrange and putter consistently then I definitely don't need a distance driver in my hands.

Latest posts