• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gift cards in player packs

Understable

Par Member
Just wondering if this is a trend in our sport. Went to a tournament and in the players pack was a disc and gift card. A friend went to a tourney that was all gift cards to pubs and an online DG retailer.

Anyone else getting gift cards in players packs?

Pros: Guaranteed you are getting your moneys worth
Cons: May not like the pub/store or loose it before use

some local scums host tournies and then have gift card prizes to their store

in which they usually have higher mark up price for discs plus they pocket the real money from tourney fee and most of the time people go over prize amount to redeem which is additional money out of pocket for the store

oh maybe my comment is related to winnings prizes and not players packs

so disregard if non relevant

some local scums host tournies and then have gift card prizes to their store

in which they usually have higher mark up price for discs plus they pocket the real money from tourney fee and most of the time people go over prize amount to redeem which is additional money out of pocket for the store

It's a way around having to have a lot of items change hands on site during the pandemic.

I think scums is a pretty harsh term. They are looking to make disc golf a business. If they are benefiting and you are not really losing much....shrug. If you are unhappy with the idea, or not getting your money's worth, don't frequent their tournaments. We have a couple folks around here that are trying to make a living out of running tournaments and stores. They run pretty good tournaments, but I don't think they are getting rich.

Our club had to build an online store to better handle the COVID changes. To prevent gathering of players for both player packs and payouts. It has worked very well. It also allowed us to dig out of a large financial hole, caused by COVID.

We had an early April A Tier that forced us to buy shirts, hats and most of year's club inventory in early Feb. With the cancellation of our A Tier, following BYOP double tournament and leagues, we were saddled with debt and no way to generate revenue to pay it off. Tough position, to realize that a couple members are now on the hook for that kind of money. Certainly while we had NO idea how long COVID would keep stuff shut down.

Please understand....building an online store is a lot of work. Nobody in the club wanted to get into the disc golf merch business. It was a lot of work to take orders and mail them out. We ate the cost of shipping on nearly all our transactions.

Just wondering if this is a trend in our sport. Went to a tournament and in the players pack was a disc and gift card. A friend went to a tourney that was all gift cards to pubs and an online DG retailer.

I do not want local eatery gift card right now. I am not going to restaurants. But, I would gladly support a local eatery that supported disc golf. I don't mind gift cards, in general. My only issue is if I am traveling. Getting a local card, when only in town for a weekend kind of sucks.

Honestly, I would gladly take anything other than some more discs, minis, erasable scorecards, hats, towels, stickers and a pencil.

It's a way around having to have a lot of items change hands on site during the pandemic.

This, but also: between the TD app, Disc Golf Scene and vendors giving vouchers for player's packs and prizes, there's a lot less work for the TD to do, so I get it.
However, I've learned over time that not everyone enjoys pubs as much as I do. Giving out awards that center around drinking is a little short sighted.

I think scums is a pretty harsh term. They are looking to make disc golf a business. If they are benefiting and you are not really losing much....shrug. If you are unhappy with the idea, or not getting your money's worth, don't frequent their tournaments. We have a couple folks around here that are trying to make a living out of running tournaments and stores. They run pretty good tournaments, but I don't think they are getting rich.

Our club had to build an online store to better handle the COVID changes. To prevent gathering of players for both player packs and payouts. It has worked very well. It also allowed us to dig out of a large financial hole, caused by COVID.

We had an early April A Tier that forced us to buy shirts, hats and most of year's club inventory in early Feb. With the cancellation of our A Tier, following BYOP double tournament and leagues, we were saddled with debt and no way to generate revenue to pay it off. Tough position, to realize that a couple members are now on the hook for that kind of money. Certainly while we had NO idea how long COVID would keep stuff shut down.

Please understand....building an online store is a lot of work. Nobody in the club wanted to get into the disc golf merch business. It was a lot of work to take orders and mail them out. We ate the cost of shipping on nearly all our transactions.

well there is clearly moar to the story and im not going to put any names on blast

same thing as tournies happen at one of the local league all the money is pocketed and prizes are given out as gift cards to the store

which you are getting bottom of the barrel discs cuz the cherry picked discs (aka the good discs) are auctioned off on fb for moar $$ and not even available in store

i stand by scum being my word of choice and i will not do business with that person in any format

also there was at least one other person who used to do this type in my area however he stepped off the dg scene after his business antics were exposed

it all depends. Perhaps the establishment made a donation to the club and giving everyone a gift certificate to get them in the door. That gift certificate should not be part of the payouts, but a gift given by a local merchant (wrong if not the case). I also welcome gift certificates to online disc shops instead of just choosing from whatever supply is on hand.

This, but also: between the TD app, Disc Golf Scene and vendors giving vouchers for player's packs and prizes, there's a lot less work for the TD to do, so I get it.
However, I've learned over time that not everyone enjoys pubs as much as I do. Giving out awards that center around drinking is a little short sighted.

There's plenty of people who love their alcohol lots but still dislike going to bars or pubs. I've never been a huge fan, despite really loving some craft beers, and now that there's literally a plague going around...well....:\

It could be the nicest bar/beer selection and I'd still be bummed out by a gift card.

I'd be totally cool with a gift card that's usable anywhere, or for gas or something that isn't super localized.

Plenty of gas stations are basically mini-grocery stores.

My weekly league has a GC for a ctp prize to Casey's (for those not from the Midwest, they also have a sub-sandwich bar & pizza in every shop) Most people like it.

A gift card to an online disc golf seller? Heck yeah! Infinite disc card? That's awesome.

A gift card to a local place when I live hours away? That's pretty crappy.

I do understand how things were hard to get this year so it could be an easy things for TD's offer. Hopefully the cards they get are relevant and useable.

Giving out awards that center around drinking is a little short sighted.

Ask RU or Juke...both of them will tell you,
"What the hell is Bogey gonna do with a growler?"

I get it...it's hard to come up with good player pack ideas. It's neat when you're just starting, but it gets old pretty fast.

Personally (and I might be in the monority here), I'd rather have a lower registration fee on lieu of a players packy. Hard to make it any easier for the TD.

If you wanna give gift cards, make them Visa or MasterCard gift cards. Can be used for booze, disc merch, groceries, condoms...

Ask RU or Juke...both of them will tell you,
"What the hell is Bogey gonna do with a growler?"

I get it...it's hard to come up with good player pack ideas. It's neat when you're just starting, but it gets old pretty fast.

Personally (and I might be in the monority here), I'd rather have a lower registration fee on lieu of a players packy. Hard to make it any easier for the TD.

If you wanna give gift cards, make them Visa or MasterCard gift cards. Can be used for booze, disc merch, groceries, condoms...

You won't find an argument here. I loathe putting together player's packs. Trophy only events would be fantastic. The only people who like players packs are those just starting out.

Although, I have found that giving people the option to choose their disc for their PP to be pretty popular.

Ugh. I despise those Visa/MC "gift" cards. There's always a fee to buy it, then they give you a time limit to spend it. Most of the time you have to hit the exact penny amount. Among other caveats to spend your "gift." No thank you.
GC for a pub or bar? That would be handed over to someone else, I'd have absolutely no use for that.
GC for other retailers? I neither want nor need another card clogging up my space.
GC for nationally available restaurant chain? Maybe, as long as its not BK, Pizza Hut, KFC, McDs, or Popeyes. Ok. Nevermind.
A trophy will literally be tossed in the trash on the way out, regardless of finish. Can you sell used trophies?
I'm all for the reduced entry fee idea. I may actually play a tourney in that case, depending on the location, actual cost, and date.

I do not want local eatery gift card right now. I am not going to restaurants. But, I would gladly support a local eatery that supported disc golf. I don't mind gift cards, in general. My only issue is if I am traveling. Getting a local card, when only in town for a weekend kind of sucks.

Honestly, I would gladly take anything other than some more discs, minis, erasable scorecards, hats, towels, stickers and a pencil.

Very true.