• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Giving you the finger. What do I do with it?

peabody

Edit profile banner
Bronze level trusted reviewer
My mids used to be the best part of my game. Mostly used fan grip and for longer shots a power grip. Last year I first noticed that my middle finger was grabbing onto the edge of my discs causing them to fly off 90 degrees to the right. (RHBH player)
It's to a place now I can't throw any mids or putters without my finger grabbing onto the disc.
Fan grip: the first crease (main knuckle) catches the edge and off to the right it goes.
Power grip: the tip of the FU finger grabs hold and off to the right it goes .
Aside from cutting the digit off I would like some help.
Is this an arthritis problem or a mental issue of not releasing properly?
I've not changed my technique so rounding probably isn't the case.

Have you tried a stacked grip? I was having issues with my pinkie, dropped the pinkie (three finger grip now) and went to a stacked grip and my release is more consistent. I'm not an expert, I just try things and see if they work, keep that in mind.

Thanks to a recent thread I learned I "power fan grip" anything slower than a Teebird. Index and pinky are in power grip position but middle and ring are extended out towards the center. I've been doing it for many years now and don't see it changing...worth a shot?

20231216_193616.jpg

Thanks to a recent thread I learned I "power fan grip" anything slower than a Teebird. Index and pinky are in power grip position but middle and ring are extended out towards the center. I've been doing it for many years now and don't see it changing...worth a shot?

View attachment 329724
I'll give it a try. Thanks.

View attachment 329724

This is where I wound up. Not perfect, but nothing better situation.

I think your problems stems from applying pressure differently when throwing putters and mids. Putting too much pressure on fingers other than the index one can mess with your release and cause your disc to go right. Can you try and just focus on pinching the rim of the disc between the first knuckle of the index finger and your thumb? Loosen the other fingers a bit and just let them rest against the rim, supporting the weight of the disc but not pinching the rim. This should also get the nose of the disc down a bit.

Another thing I can think of is your upper body opening too early, therefore messing with your release point and also changing how the disc gets released from your fingers. Do you think you move differently when throwing mids and putters in place of drivers?

I think your problems stems from applying pressure differently when throwing putters and mids. Putting too much pressure on fingers other than the index one can mess with your release and cause your disc to go right. Can you try and just focus on pinching the rim of the disc between the first knuckle of the index finger and your thumb? Loosen the other fingers a bit and just let them rest against the rim, supporting the weight of the disc but not pinching the rim. This should also get the nose of the disc down a bit.

Another thing I can think of is your upper body opening too early, therefore messing with your release point and also changing how the disc gets released from your fingers. Do you think you move differently when throwing mids and putters in place of drivers?
With putters inside of circle one I just loft the disc using a loose fan grip. Actually raising the disc completely off of my hand.
When throwing mids and putters from further out, I was using a fan grip so my index finger was the only pressure point. As it slid off my hand the edge grabbed the crease of my middle finger.
Out even further I was power gripping both putters and mids and the middle finger tip was where the disc rotated out of my hand.
As far as moving differently with drivers I use an X step and with longer mids and putters I use a standstill. Body position is similar with both.
69 years old and some arthritis in both hands.

Latest posts