• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Glide and Stratus?

simpletwist

* Ace Member *
I'm looking at these as potential purchases. Anyone use them? What's your thoughts?

Since my girl laid claim to my Champion Leopard I'm trying to fill that void. I thought the Stalker might do the trick, but the jury is still out on the Stalker. Not too impressed with it though. Sure I could always get another Leopard even though I do have 2 others, but what would be the fun in that?

Stalker is a bit different than a Leopard. Glide and Stratus are more of a mid, so not sure you are actually looking for a Leopard replacement? What exactly are you looking for?

I could go into my lame excuses for bad technique, but...

Anyway my Leopard was my go to disc from 200 feet in. I could it to do just about anything from that distance. That's probably why my old lady stole it. So basically I'm looking for a versatile disc that is forgiving from the fairway as well as trouble spots. I use a Buzzz, Meteor & Comet, but can't seem to get quite the accurate D as I did with the Leopard. I have been using an XL in this role but I have a tendancy to go too long when I power it up or I fall well short when I take a little off.

A TL would be a good one but might be a bit long for that kind of shot, although a Leopard can be a bit long for that as well, but if you mean to be able to take a little off and control it, the Glide or Stratus might work. Have you ever tried a Stingray?

I'll cast a vote for the Stratus. I love mine -- very dependable and straight for an understable disc.

For 210ft to 140ft I use a Z Buzz. Very controlable . I use my Leopard from 240-260ft

40ft to 140ft I use my Challenger.

I don't have a big arm, so that works for me.

For 210ft to 140ft I use a Z Buzz. Very controlable . I use my Leopard from 240-260ft

40ft to 140ft I use my Challenger.

I don't have a big arm, so that works for me.

Sounds like me, although I use a Banger and stretch that out a bit and have closed the gap for where I would use a Buzz, but I look to stop doing that so much.

Think he is saying though, that he isnt getting as controlled shot with his Buzzz as done with the Leopard.

Its hard to figure out cause it seems like a different use for discs than what I would think of doing.

Sounds like me, although I use a Banger and stretch that out a bit and have closed the gap for where I would use a Buzz, but I look to stop doing that so much.

Think he is saying though, that he isnt getting as controlled shot with his Buzz as done with the Leopard.

Its hard to figure out cause it seems like a different use for discs than what I would think of doing.

I find the Leopard to be slightly under stable, and I use it for under stable and slightly under-stable shots 200-250ft. My Buzz goes almost dead straight.

Looking at discgolfcenter.com's flight chart the Glide is very comparable to the Leopard. Just a hair faster and a hair more understable.

Both the Glide and the Stratus would be noticable more understable than your Leopard. You could probably get decent results throwing with a little less power, but I wouldn't condsider either one very similar to the Leopard due to their mid-range like edge. I also wouldn't use either one in the wind.

With so many very similar style discs out there, I really consider the Leopard to be a very unique disc and can't think of anything very similar. I use a Star Leopard and would have trouble replacing it with anything else.

I've got a glide and a stratus to trade if you are interested. The Stratus is the black one you get from the PDGA when signing up. It is ESP, black, unthrown, with a 170-172 sticker on it. The glide is elite z, 172, reddish I think (i'm colorblind, but can send pics if you want), thrown, but in great shape, 9/10.

I've got a glide and a stratus to trade if you are interested. The Stratus is the black one you get from the PDGA when signing up. It is ESP, black, unthrown, with a 170-172 sticker on it. The glide is elite z, 172, reddish I think (i'm colorblind, but can send pics if you want), thrown, but in great shape, 9/10.

I might be interested in a trade. In a general sense what might you be interested in. I don't own anything that is new and unthrown. Most of the discs I possess that I don't throw are in very good condition. Shoot me a pm and maybe we can do something.

For 200-footers, a Glide might do the trick for you. It might be a little flippier than a Champ Leopard, so don't get a really light one. If you're leaning Discraft, you might also consider an Impact or a lighter weight Z Xpress. (X Xpress is too flippy.)

The Stratus is a great disc, but a little shorter and far more understable than the Leopard. Far more understable than just about anything, in fact. Get one if you want to be able to make sharp right turns on a RHBH throw.

Last edited:
The TL is what I use for those types of short shots where I want control and don't want to have to put a lot on it. Just a little flat flip, even a slight hyzer with a beat TL, will flip it straight as an arrow. You'd be surprised how accurate you can be with that disc.

r you seriously talking driver for 200ft shots. Throw a buzzz or a Putter!!!
If yuo always rely on a driver for that close you will never develop technique. Work on learning to throw a buzzz or roc for these shots. I don't have the biggest arm....but it doesn't take a huge arm to learn technique for mids and putters

Last edited: