• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glow coating vs Weight for Stability

tu-f-o

Double Eagle Member
Can anyone tell me which affects a disc's stability more? The coating of a Glow disc, or the weight of a disc?

I want a stable disc for wind, but not too heavy that I can't throw it far.

Example, I like 172grams star destroyer.
would buying a 173+ gram star destroyer be more or less stable than buying a 172 gram GLOW star destroyer?

Or what about a 173+ star destroyer vs a 172 CHAMP destroyer (glow or not)?

Or are glow discs simply usually more stable because they are champ plastic??

thanks

Parting line height and dome (the shape of the disc) affects stability more than anything else.

Glow discs are not coated in anything, the glow material is in the plastic.

There is no such thing as glow star.

The most overstable Destroyers (in my experience) are domey Champion Destroyers. As long as it's domey, it should be very overstable regardless of weight.

Or what about a 173+ star destroyer vs a 172 CHAMP destroyer (glow or not)?

Or are glow discs simply usually more stable because they are champ plastic??

thanks
yes, generally its the ch plastic that makes it more stable.
when talking about glow discs, it is the ch version (not dx) that is being referred to

Um, what discs have a glow coating? Or are you planning on spraying your disc in glow in the dark paint or something?

All the glow discs I have ever seen are made out of glow in the dark plastic, there is no coating...

Glow discs tend to be a tick less stable than champion/Z discs but still a tick more stable than star/esp discs.

Glow discs are not more stable, it is just a wide spread misconception.

All glow discs are more stable than their non-glow counterparts*.

*Depending upon how you define the term stable

You don't understand stability. More stable DOES NOT MEAN MORE STRAIGHT! Stability ranges from more stable to less stable and all discs fall into that range from "overstable" to "understable".

Just trying to save the world from the awful misconceptions about stability that seem to be abundant on this site.

We should just replace the word "stable" with "neutral" so we have understable, neutral, and overstable - putting an end to all the "more stable" or "less stable" debates.

You don't understand stability. More stable DOES NOT MEAN MORE STRAIGHT! Stability ranges from more stable to less stable and all discs fall into that range from "overstable" to "understable".

sta·ble 1 (stbl)
adj. sta·bler, sta·blest
a. Resistant to change of position or condition; not easily moved or disturbed: a house built on stable ground; a stable platform.
b. Not subject to sudden or extreme change or fluctuation: a stable economy; a stable currency.
c. Maintaining equilibrium; self-restoring: a stable aircraft.

Sounds like it means straight more resistant to change of position or condition than "veers off course left or right earlier or later".

Last edited:
sta·ble 1 (stbl)
adj. sta·bler, sta·blest
a. Resistant to change of position or condition; not easily moved or disturbed: a house built on stable ground; a stable platform.
b. Not subject to sudden or extreme change or fluctuation: a stable economy; a stable currency.
c. Maintaining equilibrium; self-restoring: a stable aircraft.

Sounds like it means straight more resistant to change of position or condition than "veers off course left or right earlier or later".

BOOM! In your face Jimbo!:p

Go ahead and wallow in your ignorance. :doh:

Are you talking to yourself?

This is not 'Nam Jimbo. There are rules...
more/mɔr, moʊr/ Show Spelled [mawr, mohr] Show IPA
adjective compar. of much or many with most as superl.
1. in greater quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number: I need more money.

sta·ble 1 (stbl)
adj. sta·bler, sta·blest

More stable - in greater measure resistant to change of position or condition

Please explain how that equates to an overstable or understable disc that does anything but stay on its current path. I guess you think that a home in San Francisco is built on more stable ground than one built in Texas?

Latest posts