• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Go to distance disc for those who throw under 400ft

Nate doss esp surge. Holds up to my fh with just a little hyzer flip flies straight and far. I've been toying with an esp nuke recently and gives me similar flights in the wind.

Terns are great. Star will be too understable for 400' of power, but G* and Champ pair together nicely.

I've also had good luck with lightweight (less than 170g) Outlaws. They only need a few rounds to season. After that, they're nice and straight out to 400' with a reliable fade.

Gotta go with the Valk. Star or Pro. I feel like if someone can't throw a Valk 400 feet, they shouldn't be throwing warp speed drivers. It's all about getting your disc up to speed.

This is ignorant though. I enjoy buying discs. The list of discs I can throw longer than a Valk is too long to list. I do not throw any of them 400 feet. A Valk as my distance driver would be giving up strokes. Not only is it not all about getting a disc up to speed, that isn't even a real concept.

Yeah, looking for older run Valkyries in decent condition is getting expensive. Luckily for me, I can throw an Inertia on a lot of the same lines as a Valkyrie.

:hfive: When I rolled all latitude I really liked throwing flow after being a Valkyrie guy once I learned how to throw a hyzer flip . Striker was like a volt for me and flow was similar to the inertia.

Best part now is the volt and inertia can be easily replaced :D I dunno wtf happened to flows but some are crazy OS and others you can hardly throw with power :|

Pmantle,I would agree with you both. In 2014 we have drivers which are 10-13 speed and designed for players who DONT have 400' of power. The unlace for example is not a disc you would find in many bags of players who can throw that far just like Vulcans and other very high speed understable discs. That's the point of them. So no its not ALL about getting a disc up to speed to make it fly but definitely helps given the model.

Last edited:
This is ignorant though. I enjoy buying discs. The list of discs I can throw longer than a Valk is too long to list. I do not throw any of them 400 feet. A Valk as my distance driver would be giving up strokes. Not only is it not all about getting a disc up to speed, that isn't even a real concept.

truth

a Tern gives me significant more D than a Valk and I'm lucky to hit 400' when the planets are aligned and the wind is just right

Oh, it is real. I have seen enough little kids trying to throw z nukes/champ bosses/pinnacle rampages/etc that have problems cracking 250+ ft to verify this.

If you lack the arm strength to get a disc up to its intended speed, it will not achieve its intended flight characteristics, basically.

Oh, it is real. I have seen enough little kids trying to throw z nukes/champ bosses/pinnacle rampages/etc that have problems cracking 250+ ft to verify this.

If you lack the arm strength to get a disc up to its intended speed, it will not achieve its intended flight characteristics, basically.

Yes, kids and noobs should stay away from high speed drivers. However, telling someone that they have no business throwing a disc because they can't throw a Valk or TeeBird some arbitrary distance is ridiculous.

Yes, kids and noobs should stay away from high speed drivers. However, telling someone that they have no business throwing a disc because they can't throw a Valk or TeeBird some arbitrary distance is ridiculous.
"Can't" and "shouldn't" are not synonyms... What do I know... Go get a nuke os or stiletto and give er hell, I guess. Roflmao

If you are throwing a teebird 300" and throwing a wraith 300", what would possess you to want to throw the wraith besides a headwind? Curious.

Last edited:
"Can't" and "shouldn't" are not synonyms... What do I know... Go get a nuke os or stiletto and give er hell, I guess. Roflmao

Way to miss the point entirely. You do realize that there is a broad range of stabilities among the high speed drivers, right? Mambas, Vulcans, UnLaces etc. are designed to help maximize distance for noodle arm throwers. Those discs may add considerable D for players who can't throw a Valk 400'. I have played with several veteran players who gain a competitive advantage thanks to those discs. It's all about finding the right tool for the job. The idea that you have to throw an arbitrary distance with certain discs before you should consider throwing other discs is just dumb. Your reading comprehension seems to be filtered through a lens of ignorance. ROFLMAO indeed.

Way to miss the point entirely. You do realize that there is a broad range of stabilities among the high speed drivers, right? Mambas, Vulcans, UnLaces etc. are designed to help maximize distance for noodle arm throwers. Those discs may add considerable D for players who can't throw a Valk 400'. I have played with several veteran players who gain a competitive advantage thanks to those discs. It's all about finding the right tool for the job. The idea that you have to throw an arbitrary distance with certain discs before you should consider throwing other discs is just dumb. Your reading comprehension seems to be filtered through a lens of ignorance. ROFLMAO indeed.

You show me one thrower who can't put a valk out 400 that's eclipsing 400 with a mamba and i'll agree with you... Roflmao. Ignoring the importance of arm speed is the only ignorance I am seeing here, buddy.

Last edited:
the faster discs ability to skip harder on the ground is generally the only time I would throw a faster disc on a shorter line (or big headwinds like you mention) but I also bet its "easier" for some players to get those faster discs out as far due to technique not being as big of concern.

Same difference really what posses players like McBeth to throw a roc where many of us would throw a fairway. Im not sure how Simon Lizotte decides to throw X or Y speed disc when he mashes a putter 500' lol.

there is no arbitrary distance. but keep your disc on the fairway. yeah noodle arms might muster 15 extra feet out of their speed 12 but when there constantly off the fairway with it, its time to disc down. if you cant get a valk up to speed you have no business throwing something faster, even if it is more understable to compensate

You show me one thrower who can't put a valk out 400 that's eclipsing 400 with a mamba and i'll agree with you... Roflmao. Ignoring the importance of arm speed is the only ignorance I am seeing here, buddy.

I have played with plenty of guys who are lucky to hit 300' with a Valk but are able to hit 300'+ with a Vulcan or Mamba. Is it textbook? Of course not. But if it gives them a shot to occasionally birdie a 340' hole then good for them. The number of players who dedicate time to field work and improving their form is minuscule compared to the number of people who play for fun. Different strokes and all that jazz.

Background: Hatchet, which is pretty similar to a Valk, is probably my longest disc. Under ideal circumstances I top out in the low-mid 300s.

That said, there are a lot of holes where a faster driver can get there when a slower driver cannot. The most obvious example is where there is a low ceiling. Slower drivers need height to get distance; faster drivers fly farther on a lower line.

On the wooded courses where I play, there are quite a few holes that I can only birdie with a faster driver. This is why I keep something like a Tern, Inertia, or Mamba in the bag, even though I have much better control with slower drivers.

Fast drivers usually finish with a more pronounced fade and skip compared with slower drivers. This skippy finish can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the hole. If I need a drive to hook hard at the end to get around an obstacle, a faster driver may be the only way I can hit that line.

If the message is "throw slower drivers to learn to throw better" or "throw drivers within your speed range so that they fly as designed", I am completely on board. If the message is "losers who can't throw 400' haven't earned the right to carry discs that may be useful on certain holes", we must agree to disagree. :)

I have played with plenty of guys who are lucky to hit 300' with a Valk but are able to hit 300'+ with a Vulcan or Mamba. Is it textbook? Of course not. But if it gives them a shot to occasionally birdie a 340' hole then good for them. The number of players who dedicate time to field work and improving their form is minuscule compared to the number of people who play for fun. Different strokes and all that jazz.

It takes, diff'rent strokes, to rule the wooooooooorld

Gotta go with the Valk. Star or Pro. I feel like if someone can't throw a Valk 400 feet, they shouldn't be throwing warp speed drivers. It's all about getting your disc up to speed.

Hence why I no longer ask any type of advice on here. Yes, I occasionally get my Valkyries out to 400. But, when I throw a Krait, Destroyer, Outlaw, Vulcan, Groove, I always get 20-30 feet more for the same effort. People that try and tell me what discs I should be throwing are no fun. So, I don't throw with them. To the two I quoted, get over yourselves. You are not pros. You are not DG clinic teachers. You are just players. Worry about your game. If someone is asking advice, give it without being rude. Its actually pretty simple.

The idea that you have to throw an arbitrary distance with certain discs before you should consider throwing other discs is just dumb. Your reading comprehension seems to be filtered through a lens of ignorance. ROFLMAO indeed.

Couldn't resist. lol

Last edited:

Latest posts