• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Goblin/Coyote Question

jsgipson

I am looking for a slow mid that isn't too domey. I have tried spiders, but found them to be too domey. I prefer a flatter top. How does the top of a spider compare to that of a goblin or coyote. I have a short course nearby and want to play with one disc. I know, use a Roc.

Hey, if you find out about the Goblin let us know what it is like. Other than seeing it on the Innova website, I've never seen one.

I use a goblin for a 50 to 100 ft putt. Great disc that really nobody knows about. It is very predicable and easy to throw with tons of glide. It's a domey disc but I don't think as much as a spider.

Bobby12many said:
The Goblin is far more domey than a roc. MUCH more so than a COyote as well

It was the first disc I bought when I started palying again after several years of being off......You can easily throw them 325 335 feet but they do like to turn over with some muscle. New discs seem to get very little attention in the Innova world for some fairly obvious reasons but this disc could find a legitimate place in your bag.

Tossin' in Memphis said:
Bobby12many said:
The Goblin is far more domey than a roc. MUCH more so than a COyote as well

It was the first disc I bought when I started palying again after several years of being off......You can easily throw them 325 335 feet but they do like to turn over with some muscle. New discs seem to get very little attention in the Innova world for some fairly obvious reasons but this disc could find a legitimate place in your bag.

I agree. I used to have a Goblin and they will turn over with too much power. It was a good flying disc, but I have found that the Coyote has more glide and has more control. The Spider always seemed too overstable for me. I have a Spider for sale if anyone wants it.

I really like the Goblin, especially the first run star stamped ones. They are kind of domey but are very controllable and break into a sweet turnover mid.

Tossin' in Memphis said:
You can easily throw them 325 335 feet

I don't quite agree with this at least not with my modest power. If you're throwing Goblins 335 easily then you must be throwing your drivers 450 and I doubt more than 1% of the forum users can honestly claim that. I throw drivers 325-340 and can throw the Goblin up to 290 but it's sweet spot and best use is 120-240 range.

roadkill said:
you must be throwing your drivers 450 and I doubt more than 1% of the forum users can honestly claim that.

According to this survey, 4% are claiming 450 feet or more
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7&highlight=throw

marmoset said:
roadkill said:
you must be throwing your drivers 450 and I doubt more than 1% of the forum users can honestly claim that.

I will be happy when my fat ass can throw over 300. :(

well, on a good rip I can bomb my 170 Wasp out to 350 Max-D but I can only hit my Orc's out to about 380-400 max D

obviously I am hindering myself with my lines when it comes to my drivers. but I like bombing perfectly flat lazers about 7 feet off the ground- whereas my Wasp with all arm will naturally take some height because it's hitting it's HSS barrier and flexing out a bit- getting a little more glide.. into minor/controllable headwind I can get a little more D because it forces my Orc's into flex lines and gives it a tad more height.

might sound really odd to people. I know I have more distance potential. but to be honest- I would never throw my wasp during a round for that 350. I could- but the orc would be easier and more reliable. and that is why I dont pursue more distance with my orcs. what I throw now works for me- it's controllable and is a lazer. I always know where it will land.

so some players can bomb midranges super long, but maybe because of their form or playing style- don't bomb their drivers much farther.

roadkill said:
I really like the Goblin, especially the first run star stamped ones. They are kind of domey but are very controllable and break into a sweet turnover mid.

Tossin' in Memphis said:
You can easily throw them 325 335 feet

I don't quite agree with this at least not with my modest power. If you're throwing Goblins 335 easily then you must be throwing your drivers 450 and I doubt more than 1% of the forum users can honestly claim that. I throw drivers 325-340 and can throw the Goblin up to 290 but it's sweet spot and best use is 120-240 range.

Not true.....a disc with that much glide is not hard to get a long toss out of...There comes a point where 300 and a little over is not hard to do with any disc that can glide at all.....I throw JK aviars up to about 280.....The truth is my driving is not comparable simply because my home course demands a strong mid-range and approach/putt game. I drive with only a 172 champ teebird (extreme disc minimalism right now) and I toss it up to about 375-385. The assumption that a long mid-range thrower necessarily means a long driver is not accurate. It only makes sense on the surface, but not when you dig a little deeper.

marmoset said:
roadkill said:

I don't want to hijack the thread, but the keyword here is honestly claim a distance of 450. Most people significantly overestimate how far they can throw. Just because you reach a hole that is listed at 425 doesn't mean you can throw 425 since even the slightest change in elevation changes the hole's effective distance. Many people who say they throw 400 don't throw more than 330 in a distance competition when throwing on a level field and the distance is measured with lasers.

roadkill said:
marmoset said:
roadkill said:

I don't want to hijack the thread, but the keyword here is honestly claim a distance of 450. Most people significantly overestimate how far they can throw. Just because you reach a hole that is listed at 425 doesn't mean you can throw 425 since even the slightest change in elevation changes the hole's effective distance. Many people who say they throw 400 don't throw more than 330 in a distance competition when throwing on a level field and the distance is measured with lasers.

This is a good point as well....

Tossin' in Memphis said:
roadkill said:

This is a good point as well....
Unless your area is filled with flat courses and your only idea of how far you can throw is on flat land.

roman said:
your only idea of how far you can throw is on flat land.

Well isn't that the assumption, that the distance you can throw is what you can throw on flat land?

Just about anyone can throw 500' on a steep downslope, heck Elaine King hit the basket from 800' away at Snowbowl a few years back and yet I doubt she throws more than 330 on flat ground.