• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going in the water

I've seen kids in there at Acorn, that stuff is real nasty. I wouldn't go in there. Not worth it.

saw people get there prized vulcan and bosses(i asked them what they lost)...why would you throw that on that hole anyways? haha

In the summertime, I play in swimming trunks just for that purpose, though my Dragon and Wahoo are much easier to fish out.

It was about 38* in Wichita when I played Herman Hill, today. My Star Vulcan is WAY overstable, so I have just been throwing it alongside my round to get it broken in. Because it flies stupid, it went in the Arkansas River. Shallow enough, I could see it...and a blue disc about 10 feet further from it. I kicked off the shoes and hiked up the jeans. Got my stoopid Vulcan back AND a Discraft ESP Crush! Score! It was FREEZING in there, but Score! :thumbup:

saw people get there prized vulcan and bosses(i asked them what they lost)...why would you throw that on that hole anyways? haha

I throw my 125g Blizzard Vulcan on that hole. Most of the time I can clear the water if I rip it just right. :D

I've gone into the water only a couple times.. but mostly I just do my best to forget about it. That's why none of the discs in my bag can't be replaced! Maybe the one disc I'd hate to lose is my CryZtal Buzzz but that's why I always carry an ESP Buzzz as well and have other buzzz back ups ;)

Although not always intentionally, I have made several excursions into waist-deep water in the course of retrieving a disc at my local course. It was cold and smelly, though, and now I keep more spares of important discs in my vehicle.

Had my Blizzard Krait turn hard into the South Llano River at the course in Junction, Tx. Ended up floating about 50' out. It was a hot and muggy so I swam on out there and grabbed it. Felt pretty darned good. If I did it today (34 degrees) it would still be floating...

I've gone in water in a couple states in all seasons. I've jumped in ponds, waded through creeks, and reached out into lakes. Only twice have I ever just left discs in a pond, and I regretted it both times.

My local course is played by college bros and people on dates mostly, so the ponds just fill up with discs. Diving for them is one of my hobbies. I've returned nearly 50 discs over the past couple of years.

My wetsuit isn't just for early spring wakeboarding. :D:D:D

I've gone into the water on a number of occasions. I've also considered the chances of actually finding the disc and said goodbye to it. If it's my main putter or my favorite Roc though, chances are I'm going in.

I'll second Rob Martin's lesson, and remind all of you to use common sense with a golden retriever. Loop it around your fingers a few times, or tie a loop at the end. If you lend it to someone to fish their disc out, make sure they know to do the same. It is almost natural, when throwing the GR, to open your hand when you let it go. If you don't wind the string around your fingers, bye-bye golden retriever.

Another tip: No mater how shallow the water appears to be, remove your wallet and phone before you wade. Case in point, I saw my brother in law slip and fall about 5' from the edge of a hazard in shallow water. He had taken off his shirt and rolled up his pants, but left his phone in his pocket. Smartphone, bye-bye. He was sooo pissed, but had only himself to blame. (Although he didn't see it that way. Lousy course!!)

In the summertime, I play in swimming trunks just for that purpose, though my Dragon and Wahoo are much easier to fish out.

It was about 38* in Wichita when I played Herman Hill, today. My Star Vulcan is WAY overstable, so I have just been throwing it alongside my round to get it broken in. Because it flies stupid, it went in the Arkansas River. Shallow enough, I could see it...and a blue disc about 10 feet further from it. I kicked off the shoes and hiked up the jeans. Got my stoopid Vulcan back AND a Discraft ESP Crush! Score! It was FREEZING in there, but Score! :thumbup:

This is the funniest post I have read in a while. :clap:

I go in the water every time i or someone with me throws into the water. dont care what the water is or looks like. i get discs back.

went in the water 3 times over 4days the last DGCR VIP meetup/camp trip. once in a stream in ohio to get mjoyce's disc, swam to the middle of a lake at lincoln ridge for oldbassman's sidewinder, and the last time at idle wild for myself to get my 11x eagle back. The guys even got a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrMBUegjfy8

I go in the water every time i or someone with me throws into the water. dont care what the water is or looks like. i get discs back.

went in the water 3 times over 4days the last DGCR VIP meetup/camp trip. once in a stream in ohio to get mjoyce's disc, swam to the middle of a lake at lincoln ridge for oldbassman's sidewinder, and the last time at idle wild for myself to get my 11x eagle back. The guys even got a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrMBUegjfy8

LOL. yes, you my friend are f'n crazy. :D but you certainly have a nose for lost discs :thmbup:

Me and a fellow dgcr member shot acorn over the summer. He threw hole one first and unfortunately put his disc in the water. I came up next and as soon as the disc left my hand uttered a curse cause it was headed there. But low and behold i mashed the disc right into a tree that kicked it down and back. We stood there looking at the green scum with a hole right where his disc went in. He was gonna go in and then i pointed out how deep the water was. Changed his mind and i am glad because god only knows what that water carries.

Me and a fellow dgcr member shot acorn over the summer. He threw hole one first and unfortunately put his disc in the water. I came up next and as soon as the disc left my hand uttered a curse cause it was headed there. But low and behold i mashed the disc right into a tree that kicked it down and back. We stood there looking at the green scum with a hole right where his disc went in. He was gonna go in and then i pointed out how deep the water was. Changed his mind and i am glad because god only knows what that water carries.

Nothing too bad, haha. I fished my axis outta there and threw back like 6 discs forbpeople while I was looking for it this may. Vibram toe shoes for the win. It doesn't get TOO deep. Definitely take your cell phone out of your pocket if you plan on going by the wood pile where it is deepest.

Had to go in the lake yesterday to retrieve my beloved Wraith. Turned out it was only 25 ft off the bank in about 2 ft of water. I figured if I could see it I couldn't just leave out there. Luckily the water isn't to cold yet here in NJ.

The most recent time I went in the water was at the DGCR Hawk Hollow meet. I threw two discs in the drink on back to back throws, and I could clearly see them, so I was like F*#k that, I am going in. I got them back, plus three other discs that were in the water next to mine.

Haven't been in the water recently (my skills have been getting better, and I have been able to implement the "water disc" strategy - NEVER throw anything you aren't willing to lose when close to the water).

Early on, I had only one of my go to driver. Middle Creek #3, it caromed off some branches and went in the creek. Couldn't fish it with a branch. Came back the next day, spent 5 minutes wading and found it.

Same disc at UNC. Disc got stuck in the last pine tree on the edge of the pond 40' up. :wall: Spent about 20 minutes chucking rocks at it (in a light drizzle in November). Finally hit the disc, and it dropped into the pond about 5 feet out. :doh: Again, couldn't fish it with a stick - had to lose the jeans and wade around until I found it. :clap: Fortunately, the guys I were playing with were in too much shock at my determination and stupidity that I was able to "suit back up" before anyone could document the moment of infamy on their phone.

Finally, was playing the course in Orland (Barnett Parkside) with a bunch of co-workers prior to a business meeting. Several people threw in the creek. My boss and I were knee deep in muck. Didn't find his disc, but did get a replacement for him. Someone did document that, and we used it in the training meeting the next day on obstacles we face in the workplace. The picture was put on the slide titled QOC - Quagmire of Crap. We still use the acronym today when being sneaky - "This is a QOC :thmbup:". Really thankful for the water spigots on the drinking fountains to clean off with after being in there.

Finally, was playing the course in Orland (Barnett Parkside) with a bunch of co-workers prior to a business meeting. Several people threw in the creek. My boss and I were knee deep in muck. Didn't find his disc, but did get a replacement for him.

depending on which hole you mean, and which creek, this might be the thread record for dedication

Latest posts