• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gonna do an experiment

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
In regards to the age-old Buzzz/Roc debate, I find myself on the side of the Buzzz. However, to be honest, I've never even thrown a Roc and I'd like to give one a try. My Buzzz that I use most is a max weight Z Buzzz. Out of all the different Rocs, which one would compare most to the Z Buzzz?

A worn in dx rancho.

I used to throw a roc and a buzzz until one of my dx rocs was worn in to the point it was a straight flyer.

Took the buzzz out of the bag and never looked back.

Most rocs will be more stable than a buzzz to start.

You might want to try a stock stamped star san marino roc. Easy to get your hands on and the sanny mold is a tiny bit less stable than the rancho. Plus star plastic seasons in nice

get a flat dx racho or a dx ontario. theyd b close (i converted to the buzz last yr after 9yrs with the Roc). biggest difference youll notice is the amount of height the roc will need to make the same distance as a buzzz.

If you can track down a Star Ontario Roc, it will be close. A little bit more glide, a little bit less speed. Any stock Roc you buy at a store will be quite a bit more overstable until you beat it up for a while. I just go with my 3 180 DX Rocs in various levels of wear from overstable to understable.

IDK I carry both a Buzzz and a Roc. I've always thought the Roc and Wasp to be more of a better comparison. I find the Rocs hold up better in the wind and works much better on flex shots, but I also use Champ molds so I bet they are more stable than the DX or Pro plastics.

get a flat dx racho or a dx ontario. theyd b close (i converted to the buzz last yr after 9yrs with the Roc). biggest difference youll notice is the amount of height the roc will need to make the same distance as a buzzz.

The DX and star ontarios are similar to comets when they wear in.

Ontarios are the least stable roc but they are the domey/glidiest and are a tad slower

the Sanny mold is the fastest and straightest probably

I would go Star Sanny or a Good dx sanny and put some wear on it.

Question for you Buzzz throwers, are the flight lines similar to a Classic Roc? I'd expect the Buzzz to be faster and possibly with more glide. If so I could probably find a place for one in my bag as I don't like the feel of the Classic Rocs anymore.

the buzzz will be a lot faster than the classic roc, the classic roc is on the low ends of speed in the mid category, some even consider it around putter speed whereas the buzz is a very fast mid. Moral: if the classic roc is going straight for you the buzzz will go left (assuming RHBH).

They really are different discs, and the debate should actually be 'Overstable Mids vs Slightly Stable Mids.' Both are fantastic molds, but are meant to fill different roles in a bag.

I throw a Roc (max weight DX Rancho, slight wear) that I use for just about everything. Its true it may need a bit more height and power to throw for straight distance, but it won't flip on you and is crazy consistant. I like the feel of the Buzzz, and it glides nice and straight on a good throw, but I find it a bit more touchy. I'd agree though that stability-wise a beat DX Rancho should be similar to a new Buzzz though.

aj

Question for you Buzzz throwers, are the flight lines similar to a Classic Roc? I'd expect the Buzzz to be faster and possibly with more glide. If so I could probably find a place for one in my bag as I don't like the feel of the Classic Rocs anymore.

You are spot on. The Buzz is faster, flatter, and has more glide (than classic rocs). The only Roc I throw is a KC pro Roc and I find it perfect for anhyzers from short to around 250'.

I'd recommend just going with a good feeling 170-180 hard DX Rancho. They're the most versatile Roc that will take you on the journey through the wear stages the fastest. The classic debate isn't "How close can we approximate a Buzzz with a Roc?", it's "Are good Rocs better than good Buzzzes?".

The classic debate isn't "How close can we approximate a Buzzz with a Roc?", it's "Are good Rocs better than good Buzzzes?".

Actualy, the classic debate is "Why should I play a disc that has to be worn in for years when I can just buy a comet and a buzzz and they will do what I want from the very first throw?".

Actualy, the classic debate is "Why should I play a disc that has to be worn in for years when I can just buy a comet and a buzzz and they will do what I want from the very first throw?".

Yea, that is more detailed. It was late. I reread another post I made last night and it made less sense.

If you really want to know why people like the Roc you have to throw either regular ol' DX or KC Pro Rocs and use them for a long enough time to get them really beat. That will likely take all summer. Because how they beat in is so important, I'd recommend getting a couple DX Rocs like JoshEpoo suggested and use one until it doesn't fade anymore. Then add the other one in to see how awesome it is to have them in a couple stages of wear. If you aren't doing that then you really aren't seeing the Roc side of the debate.

Smigles said:
That's the easy part to dispute. If they do what you want right out of the box, what will they be like when they beat in? They'll just get farther away from being what you want. With Rocs in different stages of wear they're always turning into what you want. Hitting a tree with a Roc is always bittersweet. On the one hand you didn't get the throw you wanted. On the other hand your Roc is now better than it was before.

Latest posts