• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good alternative for a leopard ??

what didn't you like about the leopard? what do you want this disc to do?

try a lighter X XL. i have a 163g that flips over real easy, won't turn and burn so long as you don't roll your wrist or give it too much anny

The X XL and Pro Leopards are some of the best turnover discs for the subtle more sweeping like turn that I have thrown for fairways. X XLs are a little longer out of the box, but a Pro Leo you can hyzer flip into a turnover once it is beat and it makes up for it.

Thinking about it. I guess if I beat up an X XL it might have that same increased distance potential from hyzer-flipping into a turnover but it is a little more stable than a Leo to where out of the box, I find them to be similar to broken in Teebirds.

another vote for the river.. im a HUGE teebird guy.. used to carry 3-4 dx's to cover everything now i use Star/DX Teebird and GL Rivers .. so far love the combo.. rivers are sneaky long too

FD (Jackal) is a good one. Looking forward for the production run.

The X-XL is a great answer. One of my favorite discs (in my full bag I carry 3 XLs. Z/X/D covers pretty much every fairway shot). The Meteor is another great suggestion. I know it's labeled as a mid, but it flies like a fairway driver, and the turnover isn't as drastic as the ratings would have you believe:

I love the type of turnover the meteor gives you.

You may want to try a different weight. For me, fairway drivers work better around 174-5g. If it is too stable try 5gs lighter.

So right now my fairway slot bridging my buzzz looks like this 12x Tbird/star Tbird/dx Tbird/ and 168 champ leopard. Im super stoked on the tbirds but not really digging the feel of the leopard or the flight so much. Im looking for a good hyzer flip, turnover fairway. The (super beat)dx Tbird did pretty good for this but now its just a roller. Any suggestions?

i say keep it simple and break in another dx teebird, since its a mold you already know you like.

Otherwise a JLS, TL, or XL could be what youre after. IMO Premium plastic doesnt mix well with flippier drivers, so a Pro-Leopard might fit the bill as well.

How does a DX Leopard compare to the either the Pro/Champ in terms of flight (not durability)?

Is a river essentially a longer Leopard?

A couple of days ago I did some extensive side by side testing with a 175 Opto River vs a 175 Champion Leopard. The Leopard won all contests consistently.

Distance - The Leopard always landed at least 15 feet farther than the River.
Straight - The Leopard is very easy to throw dead nuts straight even at near full power while the River turns more at first and then fades more at the end much like a slower Eagle.
Overpower turnover shot - Both discs were great at this but the River pulls out too soon due to slightly more LSS. The river is also more nose angle sensitive making this shot harder to pull off with it.
Anhyzer - Both discs were great at this but the Leopard was more consistent and held it's line longer and with more distance.

Conclusion: A Leopard is to a TeeBird what a River is to an Eagle.

How does a DX Leopard compare to the either the Pro/Champ in terms of flight (not durability)?

Is a river essentially a longer Leopard?

1st question is DX are like a broke in pro when new but they don't stay there long. They become hyzer-flip machines fast. I know you said not durability wise, but they are at that new flight very shortly.

To the 2nd question; I say no. To me the River is more like a TL that actually glides. (And it glides ridiculously more)

Discs That I have trown that would be a possible replacement for the leopard

1. XL
2. River -
3.TD
4. Tbird - Require seasoning
5. Cyclone - Require sesoning

Cheers - Koffee

Ok there's are a few things I don't like about the leopard. I will start by saying im ferry happy with every disc in my bag but this one. It works for me sometimes but more often then not im stuck scratching my head. First thing is the disc just doesn't feel comfortable in my hand. The small rim is fine seeing how I drive with my buzzz allot but the dome puts my thumb like an inch above my pointer finger. So I get allot of inconsistency with this disc just because when I throw im thinking about how weird the disc feels. When it does work for me I do like it. The dx Tbird worked the best but took too long to get to that sweet spot and then quickly turned into to flippy in a few weeks. So I'm looking for something that will hold that sweet hyzer flips down tunnel shots and nice buttery annhyzers that compliments my tbirds. Based on the reasonings why I feel the leopard is not for me do y'all think the flow is a good choice?

yeah i would say river should work just fine.. i still have one dx teebird in the bag but the rivers are getting most of those shots now... still hard to find something that will fly as lazer straight as a nice worn dx teeebird tho.. for me anyway :)

What plastic avengers are you throwing and how do you use them compared to your birds?

I throw x avengers. Slightly new I throw it on a bit of a hyzer and it pops up and goes about 50-60ft further then the Tbird. Here lately though I've been discing down and the Tbird is the fastest disc in my bag.

The X-XL is a great answer. One of my favorite discs (in my full bag I carry 3 XLs. Z/X/D covers pretty much every fairway shot). The Meteor is another great suggestion. I know it's labeled as a mid, but it flies like a fairway driver, and the turnover isn't as drastic as the ratings would have you believe:

I love the type of turnover the meteor gives you.

Now there's a disc Ive been wanting to try! I was worried though if I would get any overlap on my buzzz ss? I use the ss as a seasoned buzzz out the box.

Latest posts