• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

good first putter?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
This might be a stupid question since it is so subjective but my brother who is a noob in every sense of the word needs to get a putter. He has a stingray, wolf, and a shark (all dx), and a champ beast and banshee. He's got a long way to go in putting terms, he's a fierce hyzer putter, really spikes them at the basket from steep angles no matter how close to the basket he is. I've tried to get him to pitch putt more but he putts with his wolf mostly so I don't think my instructions are getting through. I know the various aviars are popular, etc. but what would be the most beginner friendly putter you could suggest? Beaded? Firm or soft plastic? Thumbtrac? You get the idea.

Peace

Get a DX Aviar for starters. They have a better glide than the Champion Aviars. The other thought, if he hyzer spikes them is to get a Sonic. They are super understable.

My brother used a Aviar for a long time till he lost in a creek. I gave him a Soft Magnet to replace it, and his putting has improved 60%. Try a Soft or Pro D Magnet.

well about 2 months ago i would have told you a magnet, but since i have gotten an r pro dart i have to say its the best putter ive used.... that plastic is heaven.. also with the dart hed have to straighten out a little get the kid a dart for crying out loud

I used a DX Roc when I first started, but now I live by my pro shark since I don't like the lips on most putters. I tried to used an Aviar, but I'm not a fan. I personally think the pro plastic is the best for putting, but my brother-in-law loves his new r pro dart as well. After getting used to the grip, his putt has been much better lately.

My brother used an Optimizer and the Areobie Arrow for the longest time and loved them both. He has since moved to the Star Aviar with good results. He stopped using the Optimizer since he could never find it on any official list, but if you want a big flat disc - it was pretty good.

I guess bottom line, it just takes lots of practice with multiple putters before you find one that just feels right. The feel of a disc in my hand putting is much more important than anything else, and you just can't get that until you throw the disc. Best of luck.

I think the Aviar P&A (DX) right of the shelf is a great putter/approach disc. Starts out a little stable then gradually breaks in to be a little understable. It's a solid disc for 50' and in. I keep a couple in different levels of wear so I have some options. Right off the shelf, the P&A is great for shorter holes that require accuracy. I have a couple that are over 5 years old and are still in the regular rotation. Note: over time the flight plate will tend to sink (concave) but this doesn't seem to affect the flight much, by that point it's already somewhat understable. I love the grip of the well broken in
DX disc.

BlowFly.
He should feel more confident running straight at the chains with a BlowFly.
The (thought) of hyser putting is to be close enough if/when you miss your putt that you will be left w/ a gimme putt.
The BlowFly will not roll away, is much, much softer than the Dart. The BlowFly will give you many putts that you don't really deserve. I can't tell you how many putts I have made w/ the BlowFly that NO other disc would have made.
The heavier the better. The heaviest I have seen is 174g. I have seen them in the 160's as well.
They, however are not very good (user adjustment required) on windy days. You will need to appy plenty of spin on windy days.
It is a good tool to teach you not to be timid on putts.

My personal recommendation is a Gateway Magic, in soft or supersoft. They are a little understable, very forgiving, don't roll much and fly very straight.

any of the following will be similar enough to not screw your form for all the rest:
1080 radius, wizard, warlock, aviar, big bead aviar, magnet, challenger (probably the magic too- i don't think i've ever held one)

learn to putt with any of them and you'll be able to switch around to whichever one you're most comfy with.

i'm not a fan of beginner's using "gimmick" putters like the pig, the blowfly, birdie, piranha, etc that require different form from "regular" putters. there is a reason virtually all of the best players utilize a "regular" putter of one type or another and not one of the "gimmick" putters.

This might be a stupid question since it is so subjective but my brother who is a noob in every sense of the word needs to get a putter. He has a stingray, wolf, and a shark (all dx), and a champ beast and banshee. He's got a long way to go in putting terms, he's a fierce hyzer putter, really spikes them at the basket from steep angles no matter how close to the basket he is. I've tried to get him to pitch putt more but he putts with his wolf mostly so I don't think my instructions are getting through. I know the various aviars are popular, etc. but what would be the most beginner friendly putter you could suggest? Beaded? Firm or soft plastic? Thumbtrac? You get the idea.

Peace

I think the list of good beginner putters is the same as good putters.

Wizard
Aviar (big Bead)
Challenger
Banger
Magnet

Yeah I wish I had a lot of different putters for him to try out to see what he thought was comfy but I don't. I've got a sss warlock that I use, a champ aero, a dx xd, and a dx classic roc. I want a firmer warlock, I'll probably order two and give him one or get a wizard for him. It was his birthday a couple of days ago so he'll get something eventually. I don't know if I have ever seen a magnet, what do they compare to? I would prefer to stay away from gimmicky putters. I knew I'd get a million different answers but I appreciate them all the same.

What's a good putter to drive with? I'd like to fast track him towards DG decency so I might kill two birds with one stone here.

Last edited:
He may want to try out a Magic. The Magic is a pretty understable putter so you really don't have to have as much power to get it to stay flat. If you get a soft plastic it will make it stick and thus be pretty beginner friendly.

What's a good putter to drive with? I'd like to fast track him towards DG decency so I might kill two birds with one stone here.

Get something overstable for driving. In my experience Ive found the Wizard and the Rhyno excellent putters for driving. Its a lot harder to drive with understable putters ... not impossible but difficult.

I like the avairs and the super soft omega's.....I've really started using an avair here recently and it has improved my longer putts.....holds a good line and doesn't roll away too bad if I miss......

Got him a soft challenger, carolina blue like his beloved tarheels. Hopefully he'll enjoy throwing it as much as looking at it. Thanks for the input guys.

I just got a DX Aviar and I wonder why I never threw one before. I started with a Champion Aero, but at the time it was my primary disc. As I got better I went to the Lightning Rubber Putter. It flies straight and throws like a normal Frisbee. Maybe that's why I liked it. It also floats and that saved my butt a few times on targets next to water. The Aviar goes straight to the hole while the Rubber Putter floated to the hole. The RP had much more lift. I still use my Rubber Putter, but only when I need that lift. The Aviar flies the way I think a putter should. It is predictable, lands flat, and dies like a quail at the end of it's flight.

Latest posts