• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Magnets if you use them which ones and how

If you want a driving Magnet, try a Titanic. It's a taller Magnet molded for DGA by Discraft. It even has "MAGNET" on the inner rim.

I putted with Magnets for a while. Then I didn't. Then I used a Titanic as my driving putter. Now I putt and drive with a Titanic.

I would never drive with a Magnet or most like discs, the only one I might would be a Hydra as it has a lower profile to the odd rim shape. I find the shape of the wing gets in the way of fingers when driving, I use a modified power slant type grip and the first finger gets locked up in the rim in the middle joint or second knuckle of that finger.

K, so... I'm back. I just came to say that after two years of putting with Magnets I've switched to Marshals. I switched up my grip a little and am getting clean direct lines with a DD Marshal. They're awesome. Sorry guys, I'm out. :|

*magnet drop*

:leaves to find Marshal lovers thread:

K, so... I'm back. I just came to say that after two years of putting with Magnets I've switched to Marshals. I switched up my grip a little and am getting clean direct lines with a DD Marshal. They're awesome. Sorry guys, I'm out. :|

*magnet drop*

:leaves to find Marshal lovers thread:

You can give me your Magnets then. Thanks in advance ;)

Is it worth trying to find a z magnet? I love my glow and protege clutch's, which I switched to because of the stability and lower profile. Will a new z magnet hold a line then fade?

Is it worth trying to find a z magnet? I love my glow and protege clutch's, which I switched to because of the stability and lower profile. Will a new z magnet hold a line then fade?

From what I have been told they are beefy, though as a wooded approach disc they might work really well. hard to find though so... a Hydra in G Star is sold on the Factory store Outlet. The Hydra in general has an even lower profile wing and is more Stable like a Challenger disc, the G Star is just more tough a plastic then the R-Pro.

Short answer, no.

They're scarce, glideless, fly like a brick, and love to roll away...just barely resembles the flight and feel of a Magnet. Beefier in the hand and just meh.

Check out the DGA Titanic in ProLine [ESP] or get a Legend Clutch. I love my Icon because it's more neutral than the Legends I owned at one point. The Titanic will have a bit more fade than the Clutch but will feel slightly deeper/less low profile. My recommendation is check out the Legend since you already own Clutches.

Please don't buy a Hydra.

I throw all discraft but the clutch is like the perfect magnet in awesome plastic.

Short answer, no.

They're scarce, glideless, fly like a brick, and love to roll away...just barely resembles the flight and feel of a Magnet. Beefier in the hand and just meh.

Check out the DGA Titanic in ProLine [ESP] or get a Legend Clutch. I love my Icon because it's more neutral than the Legends I owned at one point. The Titanic will have a bit more fade than the Clutch but will feel slightly deeper/less low profile. My recommendation is check out the Legend since you already own Clutches.

Please don't buy a Hydra.

Forgot about the Titanic :doh:. It is just a slightly modified Discraft Magnet and interesting thing is Some Titanic's say Magnet on inner the rim wing, not all but some. Other interesting fact Proline came out for DGA before ESP did not much but I think it did by a month or so.

Last edited:
Ive been using magnets for about two years and no matter what other putters i try i always end up back at the magnets. Im a straight line spin putter and use them for all my putting needs
Same - took me some time to figure out, but Soft Magnet rocks for straight line spin putts! I am also starting to like it for approach shots. If I need to get around something (yes, stupid tree), it works decent on both hyzer and anhyzer curves. Up to 75 feet, maybe even 100 feet, I can fan grip it for good control, and put it close to the basket. I had a used one, and recently bought a new one, and, thank God, it flies almost exactly the same! In fact, I am about to buy my third one, on my way to wanting at least ten, so I can use just them for practice any time I want to. Probably going to get one not soft, too - if it is going to be my main everything putter, I should at least know both plastics.

Same - took me some time to figure out, but Soft Magnet rocks for straight line spin putts! I am also starting to like it for approach shots. If I need to get around something (yes, stupid tree), it works decent on both hyzer and anhyzer curves. Up to 75 feet, maybe even 100 feet, I can fan grip it for good control, and put it close to the basket. I had a used one, and recently bought a new one, and, thank God, it flies almost exactly the same! In fact, I am about to buy my third one, on my way to wanting at least ten, so I can use just them for practice any time I want to. Probably going to get one not soft, too - if it is going to be my main everything putter, I should at least know both plastics.
Before you buy a stack try the Legacy Clutch.

I threw Magnets for a while but found the slightly lower profile and slightly more overstable flight (relatively speaking) ideal. If you're not familiar one of the two owners/creators of Legacy was a massive Magnet fan and tweaked it to his likings.

Not saying you shouldn't Magnet it's an awesome and underrepresented mold. I am saying before committing maybe give the new model a test drive.

If you're impressed with the distance you can approach with a Magnet, try.....well, any putter made this century. The APX was superior to the Magnet for glide back in its day, and today most putters have more glide, even the ones people would say aren't very glidey.

I used to putt with the Magnet and liked it. I just happen to think the Pilot is better.

If you're impressed with the distance you can approach with a Magnet, try.....well, any putter made this century. The APX was superior to the Magnet for glide back in its day, and today most putters have more glide, even the ones people would say aren't very glidey.
It's not the glide that impresses me. It is that I can spin putt it with a fan grip, it goes very straight, I make most of the putts I should make, and I can land it close to where I want from 75-100 feet away. Also does well when I need to curve it, hyzer or anhyzer. I have at least 25 putters - trying tons. Putters with more glide will often land further away from where I want them. Most putters won't go as straight. Some with less glide, I can't throw a fan grip close from as far out. Most putters are not as controllable (for me). Soft Magnet just seems like it is the right combination of things, for me, to be my everything go to putter. Hope so - ready to stop searching, and have a favorite, and SM seems to want the job. Hiring SM on a trial basis, but early indications are good.

It's not the glide that impresses me. It is that I can spin putt it with a fan grip, it goes very straight, I make most of the putts I should make, and I can land it close to where I want from 75-100 feet away. Also does well when I need to curve it, hyzer or anhyzer. I have at least 25 putters - trying tons. Putters with more glide will often land further away from where I want them. Most putters won't go as straight. Some with less glide, I can't throw a fan grip close from as far out. Most putters are not as controllable (for me). Soft Magnet just seems like it is the right combination of things, for me, to be my everything go to putter. Hope so - ready to stop searching, and have a favorite, and SM seems to want the job. Hiring SM on a trial basis, but early indications are good.
It is why I like the Jawbreaker now as Pro D was softer then I wanted in old 4 chain stamp and Clutch from a very small brand the hard is always sold out. I Might go back to a Pro-D when my older stamp Jawbreaker wear out if current Jawbreakers are not up to early runs in feel, ones I had I had to put into freezer of fridge for an hour just to not have like the old 4 chain stamp how they became too soft almost like a Soft Magnet both were too similar.

Reason I use is I can fit index finger in the groove rim on disc.

I moved on from Soft Magnet just because I was not making enough percentage of putts. Too many misses just left or just right - I think the bead causes my release to be inconsistent. I still think the SM is a great all around putter - decently straight, curves nice on either angle, lands soft, catches the chains decent. But, when I go head to head practicing putts, I just do better with Fierces and Zero Pures.

Latest posts