• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Magnets if you use them which ones and how

Why wouldnt you use use an ion?

Trying+way+too+hard+_8044f567cb840a2509f5834d14203d27.png

Not my disc and do not like how the more common style of overmolds from MVP/Axiom Feel also Imagine I would not like the Latitude 64 ones would feel either. Also like the Gateway Wizard in feel a disc, the g9i versin at 172 grams I had a love hate relationship with for years till I took it out of the bag in 2013 or 2014.

This amuses me. My mainstay putter that I bag is my KC-Pro Avair. I have a practice basket and several putters, one of which is a Proton ION, in my basement. I will be practice putting at night in the basement with the ION and I am thinking, "why don't I have this ION in my bag", it just feels so natural. So, the next day I will take it to the local course, and with some wind and in a game situation it just doesn't feel right. I then immediately go back to the KC-Pro Avair. Funny how things work that way.:doh:

Just throwing this up for fun. Looks like the hydra has a thicker rim than a magnet. It also has the same turn and fade specs as a challenger. Ive never even held one so i have no idea. Again, just posting this because i think its interesting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-07-16-04-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-11-07-16-04-31.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_2017-11-07-16-04-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-11-07-16-04-51.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2017-11-07-16-10-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-11-07-16-10-18.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I felt up a hydra once, same concave rim as a magnet, but not quite as drastic. If I had to throw innova I'd imagine I'd putt the hydra.

I felt up a hydra once, same concave rim as a magnet, but not quite as drastic. If I had to throw innova I'd imagine I'd putt the hydra.

Same if somehow I got sponsored by Innova with the putter choice the R-Pro Hydra, and the Star Mako or Mako 3 as a Impact replacement possibly even look at a Star Spider. I know an uncle uses a DX Spider as his putter and when the DX typ beet up the disc profile smooths in a bit and makes for a good fast type putter.

Just throwing this up for fun. Looks like the hydra has a thicker rim than a magnet. It also has the same turn and fade specs as a challenger. Ive never even held one so i have no idea. Again, just posting this because i think its interesting.

Yes but for Putting the discs go straight or mostly straight anyhow. I never would use a Magnet as a throwing putter as it is too understable for me to have them work. A 3 Hydra I might have a throwing version if I did not get a P2 in hard plastic C or S line to use as a Driving putter.

Yes but for Putting the discs go straight or mostly straight anyhow. I never would use a Magnet as a throwing putter as it is too understable for me to have them work. A 3 Hydra I might have a throwing version if I did not get a P2 in hard plastic C or S line to use as a Driving putter.

Ive still never thrown a champ-style plastic putter. Never had the chance i guess. I use an X Roach and X Zone as my approach setup. I cant say i throw them off the tee very often.

Ive still never thrown a champ-style plastic putter. Never had the chance i guess. I use an X Roach and X Zone as my approach setup. I cant say i throw them off the tee very often.

I have not thrown a Champ putter for driving either. I did use a cousins old Champion Rhyno once to throw as a putter/approach disc I do not like the mold but the plastic type is nice. My Cousin uses that as his putter and driving putter. If he lost it he would try to look on the E bay site for that disc if they are not way butt expensive or Innova Factory Store for the stiff Pro model. I think the Cousin would end up with the second choice. I did feel a Elite Z plastic Roach Putter in a store, though I hate the Roach mold as a disc as it is too shallow compared to the Putt'r, I liked the Elite Z plastic for a putter.

Last edited:
I guess they still make Champion Rhyno's, I thought that Innova stopped that as a production option.

I putt with a pair of Luster Champ Rhynos and throw an R-Pro, GStar and Champ. Rhynos are like the Rocs or TeeBrids of putters, stable enough to cover all but the most OS lines but that is what a FireBird and Gator are for anyway.

I putt with a pair of Luster Champ Rhynos and throw an R-Pro, GStar and Champ. Rhynos are like the Rocs or TeeBrids of putters, stable enough to cover all but the most OS lines but that is what a FireBird and Gator are for anyway.

My brother uses a beet up gator as his putter he worked it in to be a main putter, in 2005 their were not many choices for low dome putters as their are now. He later got a differen't Gator to use as his approach disc. I did get him a Metal Flake Champion Gator to have as his driving putter for his birthday in March a 173 or 174 gram disc. He found the DX Gator worked better then the stiff Hard Pro D Magnet a pre 2006 model he had used for a month before That I have now in my bag and even better then the Classic Aviar, a late 1990's mini bead model a cousin gave him as his first disc along with a 2000 Stratus both discs my mom has both disc and the Classic Aviar Mini bead model a 171 gram disc she uses as her main putter with a new one I got her last Christmas same weight though she has yet to play with the second new putter.

I would not like the Rhyno as a driving putter as the thumbtrack gets in the way. I almost got a XD in DX plastic as my second putter but the disc felt too low to work as a putter . If they had a disc that felt exactly like a new Gator but was neutral in flight when new I would buy it in a heartbeat.

My brother uses a beet up gator as his putter he worked it in to be a main putter, in 2005 their were not many choices for low dome putters as their are now.

Except for the XD, Ace, Hammer, and Classic Roc, and probably more...

Except for the XD, Ace, Hammer, and Classic Roc, and probably more...

Hammer was gone by then and the Classic ROC was hard to find going OOP at the time, the XD was the disc at the time from Innova and my brother hated putters that did not have a bead or something similar to them, why he tried a Magnet due to its wing shape. He did love when he tried a buddies Classic ROC but the disc was hard to find in 2005 as it was going OOP at the time. He also found due to the Magnet and most putters that they had a high profile to them he did not like, he is a slam putter and hits the pole so hard that with a soft rubbery type putter he would bounce out of the basket. He has slowed down his putt since a might be able to use a harder of the softer type putters since his putt the mid 2000's but not by much.

I guess a base plastic Upshot #2 was out as well, a lower version of the Aviar big bead but that was still to high for him as he tried feeling one in a store, he wanted a lower profile putter then that. XD was one but no bead on it, put a bead on a XD and that was what he was looking for. A Colt is that disc now but was not out until 2009 and my brother had his putter selection.

My uncle, the youngest uncle was in 2000 looking for a Magnet that was a lower profile as he did not like how the Magnet seemed to float in the air. He ended up with a Spider as the big bead made the disc feel like a Magnet sort of and he also liked the smaller diameter of the Spider as well. He also got a second one from a store in the early 2000's a Misprint DX Spider that was on the clearance rack. He is the best minimal disc user I know, my brother would be there too but he has a box of lots of discs at home that did not make his bag.

I just wanted to drop back in here and say that I recently switched back to pro d magnets after about a year of putting with the jawbreakers. I like the way the pro ds broke in over broken in JBs. I feel like somehow they have more glide than JBs and at this point i dont feel like the pro ds are nearly as slick as i used to think they were. On that note i dont think these specific broken in JBs are any tackier than my pro ds at all. Also, the JBs rims seemed to have held up better than the pro Ds, so i like the shallower rim feel.om the pro ds. This is after about a year of putting with pro ds, completely switching to jbs and putting a year with those. Thats my Magnet update. :thmbup:

I have a Pro-D. Weird feeling disc that somehow putts pretty well. Not my main putter, but I have success with it when I use it.

I have a Pro-D. Weird feeling disc that somehow putts pretty well. Not my main putter, but I have success with it when I use it.

It felt fine for me, then I had a Rubber Putter pre DuPont material disc as my first putter. The Rubber Putter has a odd lip/wing though not quite like the one the Magnet but it was enough that when I used a Magnet, after a few disc Choices, I knew where to put index finger immediately when putting with the Magnet.

Me and Magnets.

Short answer: Garbage. I feel barely credible loaning/gifting one to a newbie as a mildly os putter /approach / driving putter / 'stumpy' midrange.

Longer;
The Magnet is moderate Fáil In all ways and uses. It absolutely is a shallow midrange labeled as a putter. Most that were molded came in 'gets furry as it wears' Pro D plastic. Glide is dead and rubber like in a bad way. Headwind handling is dainty and barely capable. Discraft lineup would better if Magnet deleted. Stupid throwback. Throw a Zone.

.., and A curse on any one that throws a soft magnet, that's just evil